Ford warranty and DIY OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know for a fact how Ford handles warranty and ESP liability with regards to DIY oil changes? I plan to go 5k OCI with our 2018 2.7L Ecoboost F150 and the dealer changes will add up REAL fast at that rate. I'll have to call their customer support corporate office eventually and get the official document(s) but wondering if anybody here can help me get a head start.

No issues now, just thinking about the future. I plan to keep a detailed spreadsheet like I always do. Will that be enough? I fear receipts will be contentious as I often buy on sale for later use. Maybe keeping the receipts and the packaging bar codes? Not really sure what would be expected or required.

Keep your receipts and your spreadsheet up to date and you're good to go. Doesn't matter if you buy oil in advance as long as you have the receipts for oil and filters. I've busted dealers twice in my life not even changing out the oil filter.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Get a youtube free account. Post a video every time you do an oil change with some receipt documentation. The youtube posting date is the date stamp. Can't be denied you did it.

I use the free mycarfax app. Put the oil and filter in the notes section. upload a picture of the oil and filter with a piece of paper of the date and miles.

Originally Posted by buck91
I plan to go 5k OCI with our 2018 2.7L Ecoboost F150 and the dealer changes will add up REAL fast at that rate.

How long does the oil-life monitor typically go on these engines ? If you choose to change it every 5k, that's on you. Our Fusion goes almost 10k miles on oil changes and this is what the car calculates. Ford can't turn around and deny an oil-related warranty claim if we follow their system (ours is out of warranty now but this would have applied while it was under warranty).

As far as keeping receipts of volume oil purchases, don't overthink this. If the oil viscosity, etc matches what your truck uses, you say you used it in the truck, and the quantity makes sense, don't worry about buying it (way) ahead of time.

Originally Posted by paoester
Get a youtube free account. Post a video every time you do an oil change with some receipt documentation. The youtube posting date is the date stamp. Can't be denied you did it.

What an amazing waste of time.

Keep your receipts and document when you change it. That's it. No need to get fancy.

I have Dropbox account and label one folder for Caravan then take pictures of receipts. When I change oil I take pictures of oil, filter and speedometer. I sleep well.

I've been in a dealership service department for a long time as either a tech or advisor and have only seen Ford call for an oil sample like 3 times. There have been times I wanted to try to deny warranty when it was blatantly obvious that oil changes were not performed and my service manager would just override me and say it's not worth the hassle.

That being said I keep a notebook on my truck for when I perform oil changes. Keeping receipts as well would be even better.

What about keeping the old filters? I usually just toss mine in a covered big trash can, so I still have all my Motorcraft filters from where I've changed my oil. Same with the old bottles. I have plenty of bottles of used oil I've drained that I haven't taken to be recycled yet.

Change your oil when you want to.......DON'T reset the OLM. You "know " when the oil was changed. When the OLM says it needs changed, take it to the dealer. They change it and record time and mileage. Done.

I usually make a copy of the receipt ( some receipts fade).
Then I record dates changed on that sheet for all items on that receipt.

Change the oil anytime up to 10,500 or 1 year and your good.

Originally Posted by kschachn
You throw your oil soaked filters in the trash? Can't you take them to a reclamation center?

Mine go into the wood burning shop stove during the winter.... may as well get a few BTU's out of them.

Originally Posted by kschachn
You throw your oil soaked filters in the trash? Can't you take them to a reclamation center?

Once it fills up I'm going to take them to the recycling place.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I turn my used filters upside down in a empty oil pan bucket, for at least a couple days..... then dispose of it.

thumbsup2.gif
I poke a hole in the dome, then stick it in a funnel in a 5 quart jug allowing the oil to flow out of the hole I poked in it. It takes a while but quite a bit of oil comes out.

I tear the flap off of the M/C oil filter box and write the mileage/date changed and throw that in the baggy with the receipts from where I purchased the filters and the M/C 5w-30 semi syn oil. I use 7500 miles after having Oil Analyzers run a report. At 56,000 miles on the odometer, what little effort I've expended in record keeping will soon fly out the window.......
smile.gif
For my own use, for each car in the fleet, I keep a piece of paper taped to the wall above my workbench, showing when various service items were last done.

I use an app called Autosist. Take a photo of oil and filter in front of the car to include the license plate. Also take a photo of the odometer. Guess a photo of the receipts would be good too but I'm lazy.

Receipts work but it obvious when oil changes are not done. If you do 5K oil changes and if engine work needs to be done it will be apparent the oil was changed in a timely manner. I'm surprised Ford has not created an owner account where things like this can be documented. Chevrolet and Ram have sites to document maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back