Ford Vulcan 3.0 Oil Consumption. QS Defy 5W30 Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Ford Ranger which seems to have some oil consumption in the last year. I would estimate about 1.5 litres consumed over a 10,000 km service interval on 5W20 Pennzoil Platinum. I don't really see any leaks, but I would have to check more carefully.

I have a stash of Quaker State Defy 5W30 (which seems to be a highly rated HM oil on here) and I was wondering if I should give that a shot on the next few oil changes to see if that will help with the consumption. The manual calls for 5W20, but I also know that this Vulcan 3.0 V6 engine has not changed for 10+ years and used to be spec'd for 5W30.

What I am worried about is that the bottle of QS Defy 5W30 only mentions an API SL rating, and does not say anything about meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C930-A, which is what the manual calls for. The vehicle is out of warranty, so should this be concern?

Thoughts and experiences with consumption issues on the Ford Vulcan V6 3.0L would be great. Thanks!

No don't be concerned, defy 5w30 is perfect for that engine and is going to be my next fill in my 99 Vulcan that consumes much more than yours. I have been using Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 and Maxlife full synthetic 5w30 mostly but always 5w30.

No reason to be concerned about api SL rating since your warranty is up.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No don't be concerned, defy 5w30 is perfect for that engine and is going to be my next fill in my 99 Vulcan that consumes much more than yours. I have been using Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 and Maxlife full synthetic 5w30 mostly but always 5w30.

No reason to be concerned about api SL rating since your warranty is up.

+1

You'll be fine. I've had 5w30 in mine the last 4 OCI's and on my most recent switched to 10w30, before that it was 5w20 but I've been trying to quell consumption, which I have.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I am also thinking about doing a Seafoam treatment to see if that might help.

IF you use Seafoam through the air induction system's vacuum line or brake booster (to clean the combustion chamber and carbon off the backs of the valves), be sure to perform this maintenance BEFORE you change the engine oil.

The SL rating is only because of the higher ZDDP levels that are not allowed under SM and above. It's a modern oil, and a very good one, use with confidence.

That old all-iron Vulcan design is about the easiest engine on oil there is. Use anything in it. I'd put Castrol Edge Extended 5w-30 in it and leave it in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back