Ford vs. GM full size trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of my experience with GM in regard to my (traded in) 2011 Chevrolet Cruze I will no longer buy GM.
I now own a 2014 Focus and I am very happy with it.

So what is the point? Whether Ford sold only 1 more truck instead of 37K more over the same period, they still sold more trucks than GM.

GM fan boys are giddy when they like to combine GMC and Chevy numbers to make a point like they should be one in the same, but at a dealership level they are still two different brands and with rare exception, you cannot take Chevy to a GMC dealer for warranty service and vice-versa.

GMC light truck dealerships only exist for one reason, so the non-Chevy GM dealerships have a avenue to sell trucks to grandpa when grandma is looking at Buick's.

I like the GMC's they seem to be lower than the Silverado's and look a bit less ugly.

I like a low truck for easy loading, the old Silverado SS was the best for that. I'm probably one of a handful of truck buyers that cares about lift over height on the tailgate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
So what is the point? Whether Ford sold only 1 more truck instead of 37K more over the same period, they still sold more trucks than GM.

GM fan boys are giddy when they like to combine GMC and Chevy numbers to make a point like they should be one in the same, but at a dealership level they are still two different brands and with rare exception, you cannot take Chevy to a GMC dealer for warranty service and vice-versa.

GMC light truck dealerships only exist for one reason, so the non-Chevy GM dealerships have a avenue to sell trucks to grandpa when grandma is looking at Buick's.

Yes you can take a Chevy to a GMC dealer for warranty work and vice versa. If someone owns a GMC truck and there is no GMC dealer in the area, they can take it to a Chevy dealer.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I like the GMC's they seem to be lower than the Silverado's and look a bit less ugly.

I like a low truck for easy loading, the old Silverado SS was the best for that. I'm probably one of a handful of truck buyers that cares about lift over height on the tailgate.

The Sierra and Silverado are the same height since they are built on the same chassis. Looks of either is subjective.

These lists are artificial and anyone can make their own list of top sales. I could make a list of truck brands with most 4 door crew cab sales.

Who cares.

Whoever makes the list gets to set the rules.

Why should F250 and F350 sales get combined with F150? Why is it ok to combine all the sales of a manufacturers trucks (F150, 250, and 350) but it is not ok for GM to combine GMC and Chevy?

I'm always amazed when people debate this topic.

Originally Posted By: wemay
35.gif
36.gif
07.gif
35.gif
36.gif
07.gif

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
28.gif

LOL!
crackmeup2.gif

I think they are all very competitive with each other, and a very close match. The reputation and integrity of the servicing dealership should be the deciding factor on which brand to buy.

My problem is that none of them are really making anything that really gets me excited. Anymore, buying a pickup, regardless of brand, is more of a painful experience than anything good. I need a pickup for its capabilities to meet the needs of my rural country existence, so all I can do is try and get something that will meet those needs, offers the best value at the time, and I can reasonably live with. And hope I don't live to regret the purchase.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: pbm
I would rather buy a truck from a company that didn't take a government BAILOUT than one that did. The taxpayers (us) lost on that deal....

Ford took government money ($5.9B in June 2009) as well, so they are not as innocent as you think they are.

No dog in this fight but GM took $11.2B. BIG DIFFERENCE.

OK, what about all the taxpayer money that goes into opening an import plant here in the USA? You don't think they get gov't money? Best solution would have been to tariff the foreign brands out of this country. The USA is big enough to have all its own manufacturing plus have an export market.

All new trucks are ugly and to expensive.

I don't get the aluminum thing, the frame will still rot out on you and if you scale them the new F150's are about the same as the Chevy's, Ram's weigh a bit more.

I personally think Ram makes the least ugly truck out their.

Trucks are heavy because they are loaded up with [censored] to make them drive like luxury vehicles. Now everyone wants to be able to tow massive loads and they want to be able to accelerate up hills while doing it, hence you need 400hp. Fuel economy tanks.

If they built them like they did in the 90's except with modern technology, IE simple, low to the ground, light, 250hp, etc. Trucks would be cheap, get great fuel mileage and only contractors would buy them. So that's not going to happen.

In all fairness, I see old Chevys from the 60s and 70s around here with good frames. However, a boxed frame may be a different story. Edit and Fords too.

Last edited:
Thank you Silverado12 for stating what should be obvious. WE ARE THE MARKET! Some selective tariffs could really help our trade imbalances, but lobbyists keep them down.

Back OT, our new RAM has a ton of aluminum in it. The hood, both front fenders, lower control arms, etc. That cute lil electric power steering rack is light, too.

It only weighs 250 pounds more than my favorite 05 Silverado I just sold recently, and it is a whole lot bigger in every dimension. We love it.

It exceeds anything we will ever need out of it. My RV bud just bought a 15 RAM just because his wife loves my wife's truck...

Yes, the Dodge Ram Express 1500 is a really good looking truck. I almost forgot about Dodge. They make a quality product, as I have had very good service from all my Chrysler made vehicles.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
...I say simplest is the best. My wife would say creature comforts. ...

Sounds like our household!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Thank you Silverado12 for stating what should be obvious. WE ARE THE MARKET! Some selective tariffs could really help our trade imbalances, but lobbyists keep them down.

Back OT, our new RAM has a ton of aluminum in it. The hood, both front fenders, lower control arms, etc. That cute lil electric power steering rack is light, too.

It only weighs 250 pounds more than my favorite 05 Silverado I just sold recently, and it is a whole lot bigger in every dimension. We love it.

It exceeds anything we will ever need out of it. My RV bud just bought a 15 RAM just because his wife loves my wife's truck...
I didn't know the hood and front fenders were aluminum!

Originally Posted By: TFB1

For trucks how is that a plus?? Most engines in passenger vehicles are built for good low end torque and fuel economy not max HP... I being a hardcore Ford fan absolutely despise the modular engines... That's mainly because of their huge size(larger than a 460) that are difficult to swap into earlier models without hacking up the chassis... As far as I'm concerned it's 1955 all over again, when Chevy's small block became king in hot rodding... Oh yeah Ford had their chance in the '80s with the 5.0 Mustang but screwed the pooch royally by installing mod engines(first three or four years were dogs, the 5.0 and Chevy guys were clobbering them)... Oh yeah the Coyote can make impressive power, it's still to [censored] big to fit in any early Falcon, Mustang, etc chassis...

As far as the original post, just attention seeking...
I don't think salvage yard engine swaps for classic cars are big on the list of things manufactures are looking at when designing an engine. I also don't know why you'd hate a superior design simply because it's size make it unsuitable to things it was never designed for. Take away the 32 valves and 4 cams and replace with single cam, pushrods, and 16 valves so ti fits in your classic and the Coyote would simple be a old school 5.0 with modern FI and ignition similar to the LSx engines.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Yes you can take a Chevy to a GMC dealer for warranty work and vice versa. If someone owns a GMC truck and there is no GMC dealer in the area, they can take it to a Chevy dealer.

The Sierra and Silverado are the same height since they are built on the same chassis. Looks of either is subjective.

IDK they must change them based on model than. I just saw a GMC next to a Silverado and the GMC was lower. Both brand new on the lot so no mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back