"Ford" viscous fan clutch

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger 4.0l SOHC with a failed fan clutch.
Either hot or cold, it's always stiff. A healthy turn of the fan results in only an eighth of a free spin.

1) Is it risky to buy a clutch other than Motorcraft? I ask because EVERY other brand offered online is unfamiliar.

2) Is left-handed thread involved? I can see the plastic fan bolts to the clutch with 4 bolts

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger 4.0l SOHC with a failed fan clutch.
Either hot or cold, it's always stiff. A healthy turn of the fan results in only an eighth of a free spin.

1) Is it risky to buy a clutch other than Motorcraft? I ask because EVERY other brand offered online is unfamiliar.

2) Is left-handed thread involved? I can see the plastic fan bolts to the clutch with 4 bolts
That's normal. What matter is how it works when driving, does it always stay engaged?

I bought an aftermarket fan to replace a GM unit. It doesn't work like OEM. It is too stiff when cold and spins for a while before it settles down.

And no, the OEM did not do that.

I think I would cough up the 90 for OEM vs 40 for aftermarket.. sort of the same issue as thermostats.. not all work well or even work at all.

New fan clutch get shipped in a flat position, take a while to re-distribute the fluid. The test involves slipping the thermostat spring off to force it off

See how it works on the engine.

Rod

Back