Ford V-10 Lifter Noise (Ticking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Just had an interesting failure on a 4.8 3V. The roller on the rocker seized, no damage to the cam. Just gonna replace the rocker. Thought it was a phaser.

Here are a couple photos of the failed rocker.

The cam lobe was not mic-ed, but was visually no different than the others.

That's good. How long would do you think it seized up for? You're very lucky it didn't eat the cam too.

I think "very lucky" is a huge understatement !

thumbsup2.gif

I had a ticking sound on my 03 f250 5.4. I tried risilone engine treatment and it went away within a few hundred miles and hasn't returned yet. It's only a few $$ a bottle but worked for me.

Just had an interesting failure on a 4.8 3V. The roller on the rocker seized, no damage to the cam. Just gonna replace the rocker. Thought it was a phaser.

4.8l Ford? You mean the 4.6?

Originally Posted By: racin4ds

4.8l Ford? You mean the 4.6?

Correct! 4.6.

Well after calming down some I've come to the conclusion that nothing is wrong with my truck. Runs fine, oil is clean and to level, just a little valve train noise at idle. Not a big deal, this thing is a whole quieter then my previous diesel truck.

Did check the passenger side manifold this weekend and couldn't find anything amiss. Started it up and heard nothing.

Thanks for all the help.

Today I was able to diagnose my v10 in greater depth. I did discover the exhaust joint on the passenger side exhaust manifold to pipe was leaking. Loosened it up and then tightened, same issue.

Using a mechanics stethoscope I can hear the ticking on all the valve cover bolts on the passenger side, the drivers side is quiet. Right now I'm running NAPA 5w-20 with a Motorcraft filter I'm going to move up to 5w-30 and see if it helps the ticking. My concern is this summer I will be towing a car from the midwest to California and I don't need engine failure on the trip.

Fix the exhaust leak first. They can sound like a tapping. Since they are synchronous to valve operation, you get the gist.

I usually pull the entire exhaust manifold, spray all surfaces with copper RTV, and reassemble. That always silences exhausts for me.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Fix the exhaust leak first. They can sound like a tapping. Since they are synchronous to valve operation, you get the gist.

I usually pull the entire exhaust manifold, spray all surfaces with copper RTV, and reassemble. That always silences exhausts for me.

This.

Also, since it is a 2V (though it should have the updated heads with more threads) a loose plug will also tick.

OP: These engines really don't have "lifters" being OHC. They have roller followers with HLA's that just take up the slack on the back side of the rocker assembly to keep tension on the lobe/roller/valve interface. Yes, they will allow a tick to occur if they stick however that's relatively uncommon and usually a noise on these engines is from the exhaust, which are notorious for leaking at the head/manifold interface, or a loose plug, which is more common on the earlier 3-thread engines.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This.

Also, since it is a 2V (though it should have the updated heads with more threads) a loose plug will also tick.

OP: These engines really don't have "lifters" being OHC. They have roller followers with HLA's that just take up the slack on the back side of the rocker assembly to keep tension on the lobe/roller/valve interface. Yes, they will allow a tick to occur if they stick however that's relatively uncommon and usually a noise on these engines is from the exhaust, which are notorious for leaking at the head/manifold interface, or a loose plug, which is more common on the earlier 3-thread engines.

Yes I know they don't have "lifters" I'm an old school guy I call them lifters even though it is a OHC engine with hydraulic lash adjusters.

See my post again about diagnosing the issue, with a stethoscope the ticking is extremely prevalent on the valve covers bolts and head. Not so much on the exhaust manifold.

I pressurized the exhaust system and only found the manifold to pipe leak using a spray bottle of soapy water.

Originally Posted By: fbergski
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This.

Yes I know they don't have "lifters" I'm an old school guy I call them lifters even though it is a OHC engine with hydraulic lash adjusters.

See my post again about diagnosing the issue, with a stethoscope the ticking is extremely prevalent on the valve covers bolts and head. Not so much on the exhaust manifold.

I pressurized the exhaust system and only found the manifold to pipe leak using a spray bottle of soapy water.

Then it could be a loose plug. Have they been changed? I'm not saying it isn't an HLA, but it is nice to rule out the easier to get at items first, particularly ones the Modulars are somewhat notorious for. Good luck anyways, they are great engines and I'm sure it will serve you well.

That large of a displacement engine and the likelihood of it being worked hard, I'd run nothing less than a 5W30 in it. Those 20W "water" oils have a place but its not in something like this. Try the thicker oil and see if your overall sound and smoothness of your engine doesn't improve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back