Ford Transmissoin Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes you wonder if they thoroughly test things the way some people think before they go to market. Then they find out they're prone to problems and keep selling them, it's not right. I hope the people that bought a vehicle with the transmission in question collect. Now they're canceling the transmission, good idea. Too bad for those people stuck with one.

The WP article says that the Focus/Fiesta trans uses dry clutches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a bad idea in a consumer-level vehicle, especially when, according to the WP article, some versions of the transmission are wet clutch.

I don't trust that most drivers who upgrade to a DCT fully understand how they work, so I bet a lot of the lawsuit complaints are based on improper treatment of the DCT.

I take a lot of this based on my experience with motorcycles where wet clutch transmissions seem to last practically forever.

Good, that transmission should have never made it into production. I know of two friends who each just purchased a Focus, I know for a fact one of them is auto. The other one most likely is also. Hopefully they wont have any problems.

My parents (who are seniors in their late seventies) have a 2013 which now has about 25000 miles on it. So far the original trans was repaired two times, then a year later an entire new trans was installed, and most recently the fuel pump quit, stranding my Dad on the side of a busy road. All repairs, towing, etc. was done under warranty, but that expires soon. Needless to say, my parents are not happy with their ownership experience so far. They tried to trade it in, but word is out on these cars, and they've been offered next to nothing for it. I should add though, that my Dad has been a Ford guy his entire life, and this is the only one that has really let him down.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is this kind of stuff proof that by the time the original factory warranty expires your vehicle should be sold?

It sure seems that way. It also tells me [again and again] that the engineers don't always know what's best, and the end user often does the final testing of a product.
27.gif
I hope they lose big time in the lawsuit, but doubt they'll learn anything by it going forward. FTR I was a die-hard Ford guy, but not so much anymore.

Is this kind of stuff proof that by the time the original factory warranty expires your vehicle should be sold?

I think sadly that is probably the best course when buying a car now a days. Several car lots here in Melbourne offer "warranty for life", which is sounding more and more like the way to go.

I'm unfamiliar with a DCT, but between that and the DI, I think the dodge may be the last new car we buy without someone covering it well outside of the factory warranty.

Only if you can't afford typical repairs in the first place--but then question becomes, can you afford a car in the first place?
21.gif

This is just one lousy car in a sea of otherwise "good enough" vehicles. Sure, we could pick other examples (*cough* TDI *cough*) but overall, it's a wonderful time of long last (if not boring) cars.

My grandson has a 2013 Focus with 89K with this trans, and it shifts great. Overall, his Focus has been an excellent vehicle.

Last edited:
You're correct. Today's cars that are the good ones are very good. I purchased my 03 4Runner new and I've been lucky enough to only have needed in 160K+ miles the usual timing belt/water pump/spark plugs at 100K, plus tires, brakes and of course fluids. The only person to touch my vehicle for any kind of service was the tire store. So far, so good.

Have the customers done a bad job field testing the sort of a transmission.

Early adopters get to have a lot of fun and they don't charge the factory.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Everyone I know with one of these has had to replace the tranny.

How many would that be? Also the entire trans or the clutch pack?

Originally Posted By: tig1

My best friend and his daughter both had them. Total oem tranny replacements. Another friend of mine had bought a like new one used from an auto broker. Complete oem tranny replacement as well. Totally unacceptable for such new cars.

My dad has one since hes a state employee. 2014 Ford Focus. He complains about the terrible shifting in it. Sometimes no power when turning from a dead stop. Others its cruising in the 4-6K RPM range while on the highway until he completely takes his foot off the accelerator. He absolutely hates that car. Im pretty sure he will never own a Ford car again.

Too bad more people don't just buy the manual. The 6-speed manual in my 2015 Focus 1.0 is wonderful. Smooth, light and easy. Great for a commuter car.

Originally Posted By: E365
Too bad more people don't just buy the manual. The 6-speed manual in my 2015 Focus 1.0 is wonderful. Smooth, light and easy. Great for a commuter car.

I agree. Those six speeds shift smooooooth!!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Good, that transmission should have never made it into production. I know of two friends who each just purchased a Focus, I know for a fact one of them is auto. The other one most likely is also. Hopefully they wont have any problems.
THIS^. I sold my Focus at a loss because of that trans. What a mess that thing was/is.

Originally Posted By: tig1

My best friend and his daughter both had them. Total oem tranny replacements. Another friend of mine had bought a like new one used from an auto broker. Complete oem tranny replacement as well. Totally unacceptable for such new cars.

That is unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back