Ford To Reduce MPG Est on C-Max Hybrid By 10%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Washington— Ford Motor Co. will announce it is dropping the fuel economy rating on the C-Max hybrid from a combined 47 mpg to 43 mpg — a nearly 10 percent reduction — according to two people briefed on the matter.

The automaker has scheduled a press conference at 4:30 p.m. Thursday to discuss the issue.

People briefed on the matter emphasized that the Dearborn automaker followed the procedures specified by EPA to reach fuel economy numbers for the the C-Max hybrid.

Under the rules — largely unchanged since 1978 — Ford could apply the same rating to the C-Max as the similarly sized Fusion hybrid, which also gets 47 mpg, because they are in the same family of vehicles. While the procedure has worked for conventional vehicles, it has not been as effective for hybrids, officials said. Ford will not revise the rating for the Fusion hybrid.

The Environmental Protection Agency is expected to announce Friday it is planning to revise the procedures for how hybrid vehicles receive fuel economy labels, according to three industry officials. EPA is likely to look at revising its procedures in coming months.

In December, the EPA said it would review whether the C-Max and Fusion hybrid aren’t getting the 47 mpg on the sticker.

Last month, Ford said it would update software on hybrid vehicles to improve the real-world fuel efficiency for tens of thousands of owners of its Ford Fusion, C-Max and Lincoln MKZ hybrid vehicles. That is playing a role in Ford’s new 43 mpg rating for the C-Max.

The software update — for approximately 77,000 hybrids currently on the road and for all 2014 model-year hybrids — will “reduce the variability in MPG” experienced by many owners of Ford’s new hybrids, which debuted last year.

Raj Nair, Ford’s group vice president of global product development, last month announced the updates, which include increasing the electric-only mode top speed to 85 miles per hour from 62, and optimizing active grille shutters to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Many Ford owners have complained they have not achieved the 47 mpg average for the C-MAX (45 mpg for the MKZ hybrid) that was certified by the EPA.

Ford has faced multiple lawsuits over its fuel efficiency claims from owners who say the cars don’t deliver what the window stickers promise. Redlands, Calif., law firm McCuneWright, which on behalf of “hundreds” of C-Max and Fusion hybrid owners is seeking punitive damages because of potentially overinflated fuel-efficiency claims, said in February it would consolidate with a similar lawsuit filed by a San Diego-based law firm.

Consumer Reports said the C-Max hybrid’s fuel efficiency fell 10 miles per gallon short in testing — it got 37 mpg overall, with 35 mpg for city driving and 38 mpg highway. The Fusion Hybrid, certified for the same 47 mpg, got 39 mpg in testing overall, with 35 mpg city and 41 mpg highway.

Christopher Grundler, who heads the EPA’s Office of Transportation and Air Quality, in a Detroit News interview in January on the sidelines of the North American International Auto Show, that the agency was planning to test the C-Max hybrid and was planning to acquire one.

“I am very confident that the sticker is sound, but I am also committed to keeping up with technology” said “The integrity of that sticker is very, very important.”

He noted that the Consumer Reports C-Max hybrid test was conducted in cold weather in Connecticut. “We know — particularly with hybrids — that they are affected by cold weather performance,” Grundler said.

All vehicles are run through the same EPA fuel-efficiency test; that test, however, is not administered by the EPA. The automakers conduct the test, but the EPA often conducts reviews.

Most vehicles’ real-world gas mileage is less than the EPA sticker number, and can often be 20 percent less than the sticker number depending on speed, temperature and other factors.

With hybrids, however, the gap is much wider — as high as a 30 percent drop, the EPA says. And as the fuel efficiency of hybrids continues to climb, the gap is growing wider between EPA figures and real-world fuel efficiency.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130815/AUTO0102/308150095#ixzz2c3sfFoOi

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130...d-rating-43-mpg

That's interesting that Ford never tested the C-Max individually. I presume the 43 mpg figure is the one achieved after actually running it through the EPA procedures.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Quote:

Most vehicles’ real-world gas mileage is less than the EPA sticker number, and can often be 20 percent less than the sticker number depending on speed, temperature and other factors.

With hybrids, however, the gap is much wider — as high as a 30 percent drop, the EPA says. And as the fuel efficiency of hybrids continues to climb, the gap is growing wider between EPA figures and real-world fuel efficiency.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130815/AUTO0102/308150095#ixzz2c3sfFoOi

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130...d-rating-43-mpg

Not for Toyota Camry Hybrid
laugh.gif
They seem conform pretty well. Mine does and I get 40mpg+ every single tank.

Of course, with hybrids specifically, a lot depends on distance traveled. The longer the distance, the more normalized the mpgs are! Shorter sprints will always be much lower than the rated mpgs.

Last edited:
Underscoring its commitment to fuel economy leadership, Ford Motor Company today said it is upgrading the 2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid, which will go on sale in December.

The upgrades build on powertrain software updates Ford announced last month for the 2013 C-MAX Hybrid. The 2014 C-MAX also will benefit from several hardware changes, including:

Gearing changes that result in a more efficient transmission drive ratio

New hood seal, front and rear tire deflectors, A-pillar moldings and the addition of rear lift gate deflectors to
improve vehicle aerodynamics

New engine oil with reduced friction

The enhancements to the 2014 C-MAX Hybrid are expected to improve customers’ on-road fuel economy, especially at highway speeds.

Because this voluntary step results in miles-per-gallon values different from the original C-MAX Hybrid label, Ford also is making a goodwill payment to current C-MAX Hybrid owners for the estimated average fuel cost of the difference between the two labels. Customers who purchased their vehicle will receive a check from Ford for $550. Customers who leased their vehicle will receive a check for $325.

Existing customers will be notified by mail, and Ford is working with dealers to re-label vehicles on dealer lots.

Customers with questions can contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center at http://corporate.ford.com/owner-services/customer-support/contact-ford, or +1-800-392-3673.

Ford PR

"Last month, Ford said it would update software on hybrid vehicles to improve the real-world fuel efficiency for tens of thousands of owners of its Ford Fusion, C-Max and Lincoln MKZ hybrid vehicles. That is playing a role in Ford’s new 43 mpg rating for the C-Max.

The software update — for approximately 77,000 hybrids currently on the road and for all 2014 model-year hybrids — will “reduce the variability in MPG” experienced by many owners of Ford’s new hybrids, which debuted last year.

Raj Nair, Ford’s group vice president of global product development, last month announced the updates, which include increasing the electric-only mode top speed to 85 miles per hour from 62, and optimizing active grille shutters to reduce aerodynamic drag."

^you'd think this would have been done during product deveopment

Note to the wienies that want to sue Ford over fuel mileage:
YMMV

This has been an issue ever since the EPA has been doing fuel mileage certification. Don't blame the automaker. The EPA is certifying the number on the sticker.

It's seems it's also physically impossible to achieve 47MPG with a Fusion Hybrid.

The automotive press has tried and the best they could do matches what the best on "fuel economy dot gov" do.

Wait a minute--I thought they had to use the numbers that come out of the EPA test procedure? Not just any old number.

Ford falsely advertised. Same old story like Hyundai.

Toyota as much I dislike their hybrids is the only brand considering until a car maker gets a track record.

Ford waited knowing this was reported by owners and press. $600 is paltry for a third tier hybrid which will potentially hit resale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Wait a minute--I thought they had to use the numbers that come out of the EPA test procedure? Not just any old number.

Due to the tremendous numbers of new platforms the EPA was allowing mfgrs to extrapolate numbers by a formula.

They fudged it to get higher numbers.

What is strange is that I'm sure Ford tested it a lot and should have known the mpg would be lower. Also, they have the right to lower the mpg rating and do not have to put the EPA ratings on the sticker. The ratings are very often lowered for just this reason. Now they will have a black eye for this stupidity.

Lie on introduction, drum up hype, sales and a good first impression and then let things fall apart slowly and mostly behind the scenes. It's not a mistake, it's a strategy. All outlined in the first few chapters of "Advertising Chicanery Practices for Industry Vol 2". A few of the automakers, not just Ford and Hyundai, own a copy.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
It's seems it's also physically impossible to achieve 47MPG with a Fusion Hybrid.

The automotive press has tried and the best they could do matches what the best on "fuel economy dot gov" do.

I guess my Fusion Hybrid must be the exception to your physically impossible statement. It is the previous generation (a 2010). Longterm gas mileage is 46.5 mpg. I am seeing a low of 40 mpg and a high of 53 mpg (depending on A]how spirited my driving is and B] if temperatures are not extreme).

Not bad for a car with 90,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Originally Posted By: Cujet

I guess my Fusion Hybrid must be the exception to your physically impossible statement. It is the previous generation (a 2010). Longterm gas mileage is 46.5 mpg. I am seeing a low of 40 mpg and a high of 53 mpg (depending on A]how spirited my driving is and B] if temperatures are not extreme).

Apparently you are not driving fast enough
laugh.gif

Raj Nair, Ford’s group vice president of global product development, last month announced the updates, which include increasing the electric-only mode top speed to 85 miles per hour from 62, and optimizing active grille shutters to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

You are doing quite well! Nicely done.
I drive a 2010 Fusion Hybrid at work, 22k miles only on it, and lifetime average is 36.X. Some trips are short w/o warmup, though. Although I have also done some long, pure hwy trips, and if I drove ~75mph, it would only return ~35mpg. Hit stop and go traffic, and I'd jump into the 40s, or slow down to 65mph and I'd average 40 or so.
I also try to maximize EV only mode, whereas colleagues do not, and I know that their lifetime averages are 32-34 at the most.

To me this vehicle is the power of a v6, with 4cyl economy. Not hybrid [Prius-like] economy. I'm sure the 2012+ should do better, though. This is just my real world experience.

Well, around here when someone comes up behind you doing 60mph or so in a 35 zone you know it's all down to people not realizing or caring that the speed 'limit' is just that, the ENDING point, not a starting point!

If anyone had a lick of discipline behind the wheel they would INSTANTLY see higher mpg in ANY vehicle they choose to drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back