Ford to make car plastic parts using coffee bean huskss

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/n...nalds-to-create-car-parts-made-of-coffee

Likely will rot as it ages and fall apart as it is a biological plant product.
Recall the 'ecowiring', its insulation rotted and was used in Mercedes cars.
Making things greener can have consequences to lifespan. If you also remember mid 1970's GM Cadillacs, the rubberized plastic extrusion moldings between rear fenders and the steel bumpers completely disintegrate. That material was plenty tough when new, and I never could have imagined in 30 year what would happen. The ecowire was failing in about a decade.

These eco plastic parts could make old Fords unsalvageable, unrestorable.

I wonder if others will follow and this will be like soy based wiring that rodents seem to enjoy. I was the biggest Ford van boy ever. I wouldn't buy anything they offer now, sad. I hope that changes with the Bronco, but have my doubts.

Originally Posted by sdowney717
https://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/n...nalds-to-create-car-parts-made-of-coffee

Likely will rot as it ages and fall apart as it is a biological plant product.
Recall the 'ecowiring', its insulation rotted and was used in Mercedes cars.
Making things greener can have consequences to lifespan. If you also remember mid 1970's GM Cadillacs, the rubberized plastic extrusion moldings between rear fenders and the steel bumpers completely disintegrate. That material was plenty tough when new, and I never could have imagined in 30 year what would happen. The ecowire was failing in about a decade.

These eco plastic parts could make old Fords unsalvageable, unrestorable.

My dad was into old Pontiacs when I was growing up and had a 76' Grand Prix. It had those plastic moldings between the bumpers and the body and chunks were missing at the rear. The car looked good despite that.
The car had a Pontiac 400 with a 4-bbl QJet and drove very well. The 400 wasn't fast, but had plenty of torque and felt good to drive when driving like a normal person.

The Japanese automakers were using coconut husk fiber for headrest filler over twenty years ago.

The trend is towards a 100% recyclable vehicle. Some manufacturers are already there.

I realize that average vehicle age is now passing 11 years, but I suspect > 20 year old vehicles are simply a rarity. I wonder if it matters that much if something isn't "designed for the long run".

Besides. I'm sure Dorman can make a replacement part when it's needed...

Originally Posted by supton
I realize that average vehicle age is now passing 11 years, but I suspect > 20 year old vehicles are simply a rarity. I wonder if it matters that much if something isn't "designed for the long run"...

With the growth of extended (72 & 84-month) car loans, I'd go with "yes". Folks should be able to get some time and miles out of vehicles without both loan and major repair payments.

I have a 2003 Jaguar X Type, and it's been disintegrating since about 8-10 years old. Various plastics crumble in your hand. Gooey foam out of the AC vents happened at about 8 years. I've been removing and discarding the bad stuff.

I swear, the headliner is made from pressed Quaker rolled oats with some form of gooey foam attached. The rework was an exercise in frustration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I have a 2003 Jaguar X Type, and it's been disintegrating since about 8-10 years old. Various plastics crumble in your hand. Gooey foam out of the AC vents happened at about 8 years. I've been removing and discarding the bad stuff.

I swear, the headliner is made from pressed Quaker rolled oats with some form of gooey foam attached. The rework was an exercise in frustration.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by supton
I realize that average vehicle age is now passing 11 years, but I suspect > 20 year old vehicles are simply a rarity. I wonder if it matters that much if something isn't "designed for the long run".

You don't see many 20+ year-old cars in the rust belt for obvious reasons. They're more common in areas without salted winter roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back