Ford Tech at Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm at the local Ford dealer picking up a part. As I am leaving a F-150 pulls out of service with smoke POURING out the exhaust. Like a fire. Goes about 100 feet and stalls. Guy gets it started and FLOORS it. Clouds of smoke so thick you can't see the vehicle. Then nothing.

Several people were watching. I said to one "is he burning firewood?" He said "nope, blew the engine." So as the smoke clears I watch the driver exit. Yup, a Ford tech in uniform! Don't you think he should have known better?
15.gif

John

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Known what better?
He probably was fully aware of the situation.
The car was already broken.

Yeah, seriously. We don't know the whole story here. No point making assumptions, one way or another.

Most likely he already diagnosed it and couldn't get any help to push it out into the waiting area where it will wait for the new engine. Since the engine is already ruined a rev to make the truck move wont matter.

My mechanic friend had a PITA customer who insisted on a new motor. The dealership where my friend worked would not do it. My friend, fed up being caught in the middle, drained all the oil out of it, drove the car to the back of the lot and held it to the floor until the engine seized.

My friend got paid to install a new motor.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
He could be a simple lube tech. Uniform doesn't mean he is a master tech or whatever, lol.

Even a lube tech shouldn't be a moron..........

I think what the OP is probably getting at is that it
"appears" UNprofessional. When I used to work at various dealer stores if we had a "dead" engine, even if it ran but created clouds of smoke it would NOT be driven around so that customers would witness it, it was pushed out or in with other shop hands.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
"appears" UNprofessional. When I used to work at various dealer stores if we had a "dead" engine, even if it ran but created clouds of smoke it would NOT be driven around so that customers would witness it, it was pushed out or in with other shop hands.

Agreed...

Probably a dozen years ago I was at a 7-11 and a couple guys were there with a new F-150 from the Norfolk assembly plant less than two miles away... The truck had a burning odor and they were looking under it, apparently was a paper tag on the exhaust system, so wasn't anything serious... Still I commented "guys this doesn't look good, take that take that thing back to plant to fix it"... One said "ahh we're going riding" and went inside to get a Coke...

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

We have that too. If the vehicle is it's own mosquito abatement program, the techs are supposed to use the parts/sales driveway versus the service driveway. Sometimes, especially on diesels, you have to drive them to clear out the smoke. Always fun watching our diesel tech do the EGR tests on the IDS and see the smoke pour out. FWIW there are no mosquitoes in the area.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
My mechanic friend had a PITA customer who insisted on a new motor. The dealership where my friend worked would not do it. My friend, fed up being caught in the middle, drained all the oil out of it, drove the car to the back of the lot and held it to the floor until the engine seized.

My friend got paid to install a new motor.

How was your friend caught in the middle? The dealership signs his paychecks and that is where is loyalties should have started and ended there.

What he did would have gotten him fired if dealership management found out about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back