Ford stock hit a 20 year high today.

People invest in Tesla as a vehicle to invest in Elon. Currently, there's no way to invest in SpaceX, Starlink (speculated to be spun off of SpaceX), etc, so they continue to throw money into Tesla.
Very true. Investor Houses will tell you the #1 concern, by far, about TSLA is the possible loss of their CEO.

Dang!!!!!!!!! Would have, could have, should have bought Ford stock when it was 0.85 cents a share back in 2008! Meh, maybe not.

Kick rocks. Nobody - nobody - could have predicted what happened with all this nonsense in the last 24 months. During the 2008 economic crisis Ford was nearly insolvent! My getting out was rational to avoid losing all my money.

It's the most bizarre market for many various industries and it's simply impossible to predict it. It's luck more than anything.

How can a company like Ford have current 20 year highs, when just a decade ago they were nearly insolvent during the last economic crisis? The economy is in shambles, joblessness is high, a third of Americans don't work, significant numbers/percent of Americans are working from home now, auto makers have massive shortages of parts, and new vehicles today cost nearly what a modest house mortgage did 10 years ago. Who can afford $70,000 trucks??
hehe. you do realize that there's a bid and ask for each block being traded which means if someone buys at 20$/share means someone sells at the same price which means they've likely purchased it at a lower price which means your reference to "nobody nobody" has 0 grounds. just accept the fact you've messed up on this one and move on. after todays fed's notes it looks like there will be plenty more stocks on sale for quite some time.

hehe. you do realize that there's a bid and ask for each block being traded which means if someone buys at 20$/share means someone sells at the same price which means they've likely purchased it at a lower price which means your reference to "nobody nobody" has 0 grounds. just accept the fact you've messed up on this one and move on. after todays fed's notes it looks like there will be plenty more stocks on sale for quite some time.

Thanks for the tip. I actually worked in the securities industry so don't need a 101 explanation of bid/ask or condescension. Stock prices often fail to reflect reality or the health of a company. You want an example?

Boeing stock remains about 1/2 of the 440+ high in 2019. The reason they were so high was due largely to corporate money book cooking scams such as corporate stock buybacks to falsify stock prices artificially high so folks can cash out and retire and otherwise scam investors. Happens with unreal regularity. Today, with travel tanking and massive lawsuits, and exposure of these scams, Boeings stock is trading 1/2 that around 220. They have largely passed the travel scares and lawsuits, but the book cooking stuck, and that reflected about 1/2 the "value." Of course all fake.

Similar should be happening with Ford. They have had weak sales, weak inventory, supply chain problems, and the economy sucks and people are working from home more now than ever. There is no justification for a 20 per share price other than it being propped up. I'd consider shorting it to be honest. There's no basis for its price in reality. It's higher today than the early 2000s at only $7, when people shifted from flying to driving, and the economy was roaring under the Bush admin, just before the 2008 crash.

Thanks for the tip. I actually worked in the securities industry so don't need a 101 explanation of bid/ask or condescension. Stock prices often fail to reflect reality or the health of a company. You want an example?

Boeing stock remains about 1/2 of the 440+ high in 2019. The reason they were so high was due largely to corporate money book cooking scams such as corporate stock buybacks to falsify stock prices artificially high so folks can cash out and retire and otherwise scam investors. Happens with unreal regularity. Today, with travel tanking and massive lawsuits, and exposure of these scams, Boeings stock is trading 1/2 that around 220. They have largely passed the travel scares and lawsuits, but the book cooking stuck, and that reflected about 1/2 the "value." Of course all fake.

Similar should be happening with Ford. They have had weak sales, weak inventory, supply chain problems, and the economy sucks and people are working from home more now than ever. There is no justification for a 20 per share price other than it being propped up. I'd consider shorting it to be honest. There's no basis for its price in reality. It's higher today than the early 2000s at only $7, when people shifted from flying to driving, and the economy was roaring under the Bush admin, just before the 2008 crash.
if you haven't noticed, I've being sarcastic. all good though, good luck and be safe in rough waters

I bought a small bunch of shares of Ford in 2017 and 2018, so my total cost basis per share is $9.71.
I used the dividend payments from my company stock shares in order to buy these shares, so pretty much free money for me, and my whole point was to use my dividend payments to buy stocks that get me better dividend payments than what my company stock paid at the time.

I personally would never buy a Ford product, so the Shareholder X-Plan is kind of wasted on me.
Their stock is perfectly fine to buy, however.

I once calculated that when I bought my stock in 2018, at $9.41 a share, if I had bought either a new car or the cars price worth of Ford stock at that time (lets say $28k), today, that car would be worth much less than their stock would be, and the stock is the much better purchase than their cars.

So, $28k worth of F stock on 9/7/2018 ($9.41 per share) would be 2,975 shares, and at today's stock price ($24.44), it would be worth $72,709, and that's not including the dividend payments I would have received. 6 payments of $0.15 per share is $2,677.50, plus the most recent distribution of $0.10 per share would have been another $297.50, so in total, those Ford shares would be worth $75,684, minus any taxes on the dividend distributions, and the sale of the shares.

That would be a very nicely equipped 2022 Porsche Cayman for only $28k.

In comparison, GM's stock at the same time was $35.62 per share.
I would have only been able to buy 786 shares of GM with $28k.
Those shares would be worth $48,944.22 today, not including the dividend payments.
That's another $2,090.76 at $0.38 per share, so the Ford Stock wins all around.

FCAU stock didn't pay dividends, so it was not even a thought.

I did wind up buying a little bit of Honda stock, but it hasn't really increased in value, but the dividend payments are much better than GM or Ford. $3,229.09 in the same hypothetical $28k ($28.53 per share = 981 shares) time frame of September 10 2018 to now. Honda kept paying dividend payments in 2020 and 2021 while Ford and GM stopped.

BC.

Ford was up nearly 12% today alone closing over $24 a share. I find it hard to understand such enthusiasm with dealer stock so low....the chip shortage....and no longer selling cars in NA....but what do I know. Apparently they plan on raising production of electric F150s.
Perfect time to sell it , history says Auto manufacturers are the worst long term holds there is .
Any run of the mill utility stock over 30 years has done 50 times better than Ford .
I'm not talking Tesla here . Heck look at McDonald's for the last 30 years .

Ford trades at 34 times earnings. Never mind that Telsla trades trades at 375 times earnings.
Yeah Apple trades around 38 I believe , that alone tells me Ford is way over bought .
Back in the old days 10-15 PE was normal for a industrial company . But this isn't normal times .Ford is a trade not a hold .

I purchased Ford stock for around $2 way back when. I still have it!

Unfortunately, I also purchased a bunch of GM stock, and they were told to go bankrupt. I lost 100% on that one.

Stopped by Ford to look at a new F150 a few weeks back. The salesman's bad attitude reminded me of a Honda salesman from years ago. He came right out and said "don't look at the window, you are going to pay thousands more than that, that thing will be gone within a day". At which point, I left, without my new truck.

Back