Ford Spec wss-m2c945-a 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil brand would you run that meets the Ford wss-m2c945-a spec in a 5W-20 weight.

Its the 2014 5.0 F150 motor and will be doing lot's of cross country towing. 6X12 trailer loaded with 3 track motorcycles to the max and 3 people plus gear in the truck.

I plan to keep the F150 for a while so not sure what oil to run.

Was thinking Amsoil XL5w-20 & motor-craft filter at 5-7K oil changes.

Thanks

I'm running Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W20 in my 2014 Mustang GT right now, it runs real smooth and quiet, never had an issue with Castrol in any of my cars

Any oil that meets the Ford 5W20 spec is a good oil

Not starting a brand war, but the OP did ask "what would you run." I would use Valvoline Synpower 5w20. It meets the spec, It's easy to find for a good price, and should perform great for your suggested oci. For the filter, Motorcraft or Wix will do great. Or you can live on the edge and use a PureOne like me.

Pretty much any oil that's formally approved and meets your preferred price point. If you have a favorite brand that meets both of the above criteria, then you've got your answer.

All but the most bargain basement, fly by night lubes will perform satisfactorily.

Any oil that meets the specification will see your engine outlast everything else in the truck. I started with Pennzoil Ultra for the first 75K and then switched to Mobil Super for about 30K and then switched to M1 AFE. The AFE gave me the best results and I am on my second 15K run of it. You have a different engine than I do (5.4L versus 5.0L) so you may not be able to run an OC out to 15K, but you can UOA a few and see where you stand and go from there.

If it were mine, while there is nothing wrong with Amsoil (I use it in my differentials), I would go for an OTC oil and make it easy and cost effective. Any of them will be just fine now matter how much towing you do...

I'd use Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic, and would just follow the oil life monitor. It'll run down faster to account for all the towing and extra weight.

However if I wanted to use a full synthetic, I'd either go with Pennzoil Platinum because of the Shell gas sale going on with it right now (ends on the 30th). Or I'd go with Kendall GT-1 w/Liquid Titanium full synthetic, because I can get it at a good price and it's made by the same company that makes Motorcraft oil.

Either way, I'd follow the oil life monitor.

As for the Amsoil, it's an excellent oil and if that's what you want to use then go ahead and use it. I just think it's still going to have a lot of life in it when you dump it, so you can save a bit of money going with an equally well protecting oil that you can get at a lower price and just follow your oil life monitor.

PYB Meets the spec in 5w20, & i would have no problem using it for 5-7k mi interval

PP "exceeds" that spec.
Those are the only 5w20's i have on hand.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Not starting a brand war, but the OP did ask "what would you run." I would use Valvoline Synpower 5w20. It meets the spec, It's easy to find for a good price, and should perform great for your suggested oci. For the filter, Motorcraft or Wix will do great. Or you can live on the edge and use a PureOne like me.

Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W20, but agree with the rest of the posters with any synthetic or blend that meets the Ford spec

I have used FS, QSAD, PYB, and PU. For my wife's Focus and my F150. Each one was purchased on sale. Buy and use what is on sale.

Originally Posted By: PJboy
I'm running Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W20 in my 2014 Mustang GT right now, it runs real smooth and quiet, never had an issue with Castrol in any of my cars

Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w20, but agree with the rest of the posters with any synthetic or blend that meets the Ford spec

38.gif

I use any oil I feel that is as good or better than Motorcraft which is at the best price at the time. MC oil runs about $5.50/qt here, M1 is about the same at costco and right now I'm stocked up on QSUD from Menards.

Originally Posted By: sicko
I'd use Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic...

I would use either the Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend or a fully syntetic 0w-20 oil (I like M1 AFE). The motorcraft filters are good, btw.

Originally Posted By: tony1679

Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w20, but agree with the rest of the posters with any synthetic or blend that meets the Ford spec

38.gif

Got me there

I like M1. I recently bought a Ford Expedition (5.4L 3V) that requires this spec. I decided to run M1 AFE w/ M1 filter. So far, so good, but I wouldn't really know if it wasn't.

I'll probably run a Motorcraft filter going forward.

robert

I have a 2014 Mustang GT with the 5.0 and I use Motorcraft 5W-20 and the Motorcraft FL500s filter. I plan on using the OLM and doing the one year or 10,000 miles, whatever comes first.

I just took the car on vacation and drove a total of 1,207 miles and the oil on the dipstick did not go down any measurable amount. There was a lot of 80-90 mph interstate driving during the trip.

Wayne

For the money, QSUD is hard to beat! It is Ford WSS-M2C945A and GM Dexos 1 rated, has low noack volatility, runs quiet, and is readily available (easy to obtain).

Does the oil you want has the sn in the api logo?does it have the energy conserving mention in the api logo?then you are set .it will likely do what ford or any manufacturer ask of it (within the specified viscosity,usually)want better?jump from dino to blend,even better ? Go full synthetic

Originally Posted By: wag123
For the money, QSUD is hard to beat! It is Ford WSS-M2C945A and GM Dexos 1 rated, has low noack volatility, runs quiet, and is readily available (easy to obtain).

I won't argue with any of that. However, only their 5w-20 is Ford WSS-M2C945A. If you want to run a Ford WSS-M2C945A 0w-20 the only one that I am personally aware of is M1 (although there could be others).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back