Ford Spec 5w20 HT/HS oils appear to not meet API

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if I am mistaken but I thought API SL required a minimum of 2.9 HT/HS.

I checked with Fords semi synthetic and Mobils mobil 1 synthetic and their values were 2.6 and 2.65 respectably.

Amsoil XL-7500 has >2.9 HT/HS listed for the 5w20 which meets the 2.9 minimum.

The spec for API SL and SJ for minimum HT/HS is 2.6 for the xx-20 viscosity. It is 2.9 for xx-30 viscosity. The API web site did not want to open the link I wanted but if you do a web search you should be able to eventually find a listing of all the specs. A search for API SL specs on google might work also.

Thanks on the 2.6 minimum. It looks like Ford and Mobil are formulated to barely meet minimum.

I don't feel comfortable with HT/HS numbers this low. Somebody please tell me why I should feel comfortable.

My toyota trucks bearings seem to prefer thicker oil.

quote:

Originally posted by wulimaster:
Thanks on the 2.6 minimum. It looks like Ford and Mobil are formulated to barely meet minimum.

I don't feel comfortable with HT/HS numbers this low. Somebody please tell me why I should feel comfortable.

I am now trying a switch from Mobil 1 10w-30 to their Delvac 1 5w-40 in my Toyota Tacoma V-6, as it has a more robust additive package (primarily for diesel) and an extended drain capability which can only be beneficial all around I'd expect. I'm not aware though of the above mentioned statistics of this product for comparison.

quote:

Originally posted by wulimaster:

Especially in your Arizona heat, an API-SL rated 15W-40 oil would be a very good choice.

Ken

Ford's Motorcraft 5w-20 HTHS is 2.65. How do you arrive at the HTHS for Mobil 1 0w-20 or Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20? They aren't published.

"Somebody please tell me why I should feel comfortable."

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000202

If you use a viscosity outside the manufacturer's recommendation, I suggest you do comparative oil analysis tests to ensure the oil is working for you as you expect.

[ February 20, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back