Ford "shudder" - unknown service history

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSC

Just acquired an 05 Explorer, and it has what appears to be the torque converter shudder. Otherwise it runs and shifts just fine. 202k miles, and I do not know the service history.

What's the best way to make the decision of whether or not to do a fluid service? Is there any way I can make any sort of estimation of when (if) it has been serviced?

I can pop the plug and inspect the fluid, have done trans fluid changes many times, and this stupid "pump the fluid back in from the bottom" thing doesn't scare me.

What makes me nervous is the huge difference in opinion about how to deal with high mileage transmissions. Half of folks say "do a service, use a good fluid like Mobil1 or Amsoil and Bob's your uncle." The other half (including the dealership I just called) say "don't touch it, all you'll do is cause it to fail."

So, I don't want it to continue shuddering as clearly that friction will eventually damage the lock up clutch, but of course the zealots telling me I'll ruin everything now have me nervous.

The truth is out there. Who has it?

Thanks!

I'd change it anyways...at the mileage, it might go whether you do or don't....

Just don't buy synthetic...wait to see how it does on the regular stuff, then maybe switch...

Change it. Clutch dust will gum up your valve body and it will cause it to not put enough pressure on the clutches at the right times and the trans will eat itself faster.

I remembered when I had a 93 Explorer that had a shudder it turned out to be the wrong type of spark plugs in the car. Switched them over and the shudder went away. Might be worth changing the plugs and transmission fluid. Add a bottle of LGR for good measure.

Originally Posted By: NSC

What makes me nervous is the huge difference in opinion about how to deal with high mileage transmissions. Half of folks say "do a service, use a good fluid like Mobil1 or Amsoil and Bob's your uncle." The other half (including the dealership I just called) say "don't touch it, all you'll do is cause it to fail."

So, I don't want it to continue shuddering as clearly that friction will eventually damage the lock up clutch, but of course the zealots telling me I'll ruin everything now have me nervous.

The truth is out there. Who has it?

Thanks!

I think the consensus is that a high mileage transmission flush is bad, but a fluid exchange is a good idea.

converter shudder is a problem on many ford trucks/explorers. we have owned several that have had the shutter.

one we replaced the converter once, the others we just lived with it. they never died, just shuttered a bit when the converter would lock up.

Id do a drop and filter change. Mercon V is best as stated above. I like valvolines version of Mercon V. I've had great luck with it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Change it. Clutch dust will gum up your valve body and it will cause it to not put enough pressure on the clutches at the right times and the trans will eat itself faster.

A big "if" but definitely a possibility.

Ford used to actually recommend Lubegard Red by name in a TSB I once used on a Tbird I had. Stopped the shuddering dead, never did it again. Just a cup did it.

And there is no such thing as a transmission "flush", the machines are completely passive and simply exchange the fluid using your own pump and the exact same circuit and pressure so there is no risk.

Personally if it has been more than 30k miles IMO you should always drop the pan and service the filter first, then later you can do a passive exchange.

I had the identical trans in an 05 Mountaineer. I used Maxlife and a bottle of Lubeguard Red and exchanged all the fluid via the rubber cooler hoses on the lower passenger side of the radiator. The LGR will take care of the shudder.

A NPT pipe fitting of the appropriate sized threads (1/4" I think with a barbed end) works great with a simple outboard motor fluid pump to refill the trans. It takes 3 gallons to completely replace the fluid. The cooler hoses are held on with one time use clamps, so have some small worm clamps ready for reinstallation. It took me less than an hour working alone to get the job done.

I didn't replace the filter because I was doing the service early on in it's life, but I suggest that you drop the pan and replace it. There's a bit of confusion on which filter is the correct one, so contact a dealer with your VIN to make sure you know the correct part.

Wife has a 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 she bought new. Had the tranny fluid fully exchanged with a pan drop and filter change every 25-30,000 miles. Though the last time it was just a pan drop and filter change because the fluid was so clean. The Explorer now has over 160,000 miles and shifts as good as new. Never had a shudder. I don't see how doing pan drops and filter changes will cause harm. It'll only help by introducing new fluid slowly. Changing the filter is a good idea also since you have the pan dropped. Automatic transmissions cared for can last a long time.

Whimsey

Drop the pan and replace the filter. Refill with fresh Mercon V, half a quart of LubeGard Red and a tube of Dr. Tranny Shudder-Fixx.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Drop the pan and replace the filter. Refill with fresh Mercon V, half a quart of LubeGard Red and a tube of Dr. Tranny Shudder-Fixx.

I agree with using LG RED as those whom I know with FORD AOD & tranny shudder have used LG RED(w/new ATF) with good success! BUT, why both? Isn't DR.Tranny Shudder-Fix specific to differentials?

Last edited:
My understanding is that Shudder Fixx is basically "concentrated" LG Red - it is definitely for transmissions. Both are made by Lubegard/International Lubricants. Both can reduce/eliminate torque converter shudder. I doubt any harm would be done by using both, but I don't think it will really benefit you to use both either.

One of my former coworkers had great success using a couple tubes of Shudder Fixx in a neglected 250K mile Expedition 4R70W that was shuddering.

I did a filter and fluid change on a 4R70W with terrible 2-3 slipping. Took a day of driving, but the slipping and codes completely went away. I blame a restricted filter. We used merc VI and pumped the old fluid out of the cooler line.

Don't believe the fools that say it'll die. They are just CYA and dont want to be the last to touch it before final failure.

If it dies it was meant to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back