Ford Shelby GT350 bursts into flames at 120 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether they are replacing the car or not isnt the big issue. I would be curious who the monkey was who assembled that part of the car that day. Kinda interested to see if they get a nationwide recall or someone else has their car catch fire. I guess going faster is still fun but if its not safe to do so, then ride comfortably in a Mercedes or Lexus a skip the smokers/fire package. Lucky that guy didnt die. Ford giving him new car is them getting off cheap. Wonder if they had any older 2000's Ford GTs around; now that would have been worth it.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'm glad Ford is stepping up; I detest those companies that advertise a car as "track ready" yet instantly void the warranty if the car actually sees a road course...

Likewise. Ford has created a cool car that got too hot!

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Whether they are replacing the car or not isnt the big issue. I would be curious who the monkey was who assembled that part of the car that day. Kinda interested to see if they get a nationwide recall or someone else has their car catch fire. I guess going faster is still fun but if its not safe to do so, then ride comfortably in a Mercedes or Lexus a skip the smokers/fire package. Lucky that guy didnt die. Ford giving him new car is them getting off cheap. Wonder if they had any older 2000's Ford GTs around; now that would have been worth it.

That's what I was thinking, is this an isolated instance, or will there be more?

How often does oil catch fire? I don't watch motorsports but I don't recall many fires from an oil leak. Of course--few race cars run catalytic convertors, and other emissions equipment.

DI motors reputedly have higher fuel levels in their oil--is that a contributing factor? [Sorry, don't follow Ford motors, so ignore if this isn't a DI motor.] [I realize it's not pints of gas in the oil, and probably does not approach the days when carbs ruled the earth, but could it be a factor?]

Originally Posted By: supton
How often does oil catch fire? I don't watch motorsports but I don't recall many fires from an oil leak. Of course--few race cars run catalytic convertors, and other emissions equipment.

DI motors reputedly have higher fuel levels in their oil--is that a contributing factor? [Sorry, don't follow Ford motors, so ignore if this isn't a DI motor.] [I realize it's not pints of gas in the oil, and probably does not approach the days when carbs ruled the earth, but could it be a factor?]

It's not a DI engine. The 5.0 coyote had exhaust manifolds that were essentially short-tube headers, and I would imagine the 5.2 voodoo is the exact same. All it would take is a leak from the oil cooler (or whatever else was nearby) spraying onto a hot exhaust manifold to start an inferno.

Originally Posted By: supton

being DI has little or nothing to do with the car catching fire.

Ever try heating up cooking oil on the stove top and leaving it unattended? Even that will start a fire
Oil temps in the engine are VERY high...even for cars not on the track. It's used to lubricate, but also to cool the internal components. The exhaust manifold gets far hotter than a pan on a stovetop

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
That's just Johnny Blaze transforming into Ghostrider. Nothing to see here.

Haw! Almost fell off my chair...

Abandon ship! The driver is fortunate to be alive. We had a 2010 F-150 crew cab truck burst into flames while idling, stopped. Driver was not in the vehicle. It was a total loss, no explanation was ever found why it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back