Ford Shelby GT350 bursts into flames at 120 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Joe Charles, owner of the Triple Yellow GT350, was out for his second track day with the car when the incident happened. During the final session of the day, component failure in the engine caused a massive oil leak. When the oil hit the hot exhaust it started a fire that quickly worked its way through the car. A fuel line burst and sent flames shooting under and behind the car. Photos of the car on his Facebook page show fire shooting several feet in all directions.

Quote:
It's not all bad news. Ford is replacing the toasted 2016 GT350 with a shiny new 2017 GT350R. Charles said that both the company and his local Ford dealer have been very good to him.

GT350+Fire+2.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/amp/2016/08/02/ford-shelby-gt350-bursts-into-flames-120-mph/

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It's not all bad news. Ford is replacing the toasted 2016 GT350 with a shiny new 2017 GT350R. Charles said that both the company and his local Ford dealer have been very good to him.

As a long time Ford owner myself, and the horrible treatment received in the past from FoMoCo on warranty issues, I'm surprised they didn't say it was 'normal operation' or caused by owner neglect/abuse.

Probably so they can take it for inspection of their own to see what happened. Good for them though.

The new 2017 Mustang that he gets will be Burnt Orange in color. Something similar has happened to Ford snow plow trucks where they leak fuel on to the hot exhaust. That's one way to toast your buns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Canadastang
As a long time Ford owner myself, and the horrible treatment received in the past from FoMoCo on warranty issues, I'm surprised they didn't say it was 'normal operation' or caused by owner neglect/abuse.

Well-connected racers get a lot of sweetheart deals from Ford.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: Doog
Fire On Roadside Daily

Fire on Racetrack Daily!

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I guess it was cheaper for them and get a little free good will advertising in the bargain.
Imagine the law suit if he would have turned Buddhist behind the wheel.

I'm glad Ford is stepping up; I detest those companies that advertise a car as "track ready" yet instantly void the warranty if the car actually sees a road course...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
My 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe v6 goes 120mph a couple of times a year and never does that.

You're not going to get out of jail for a very long time if you get caught going 120 in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back