Ford Service Fill Approval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at the Mobil 1 Product Guide, and specifically at the 0W-40 and 5W-30 ESP, because those are the only two products (plus 15W-50) on the list that are available locally.

The 0W-40 has a Ford Service Fill Approval, but the 5W-30 ESP does not. I was looking at the HTHS viscosities of both, which are 3.5+ to meet specifications such as BMW LL. 5W-30 ESP is rated at 3.58, whilst 0W-40 is rated at 3.6. Despite being very similar, 0W-40 is FSF Approved and 5W-30 ESP is not. Neither oil is GF-4 approved, so that eliminates the possibility of FSF Approval being a WSS-M2C930-A certification.

What exactly is FSF Approval, and would there be any issues with using 5W-30 ESP in a Ford engine, such as the Modular 4.6L? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I've been looking at the Mobil 1 Product Guide, and specifically at the 0W-40 and 5W-30 ESP, because those are the only two products (plus 15W-50) on the list that are available locally.

The 0W-40 has a Ford Service Fill Approval, but the 5W-30 ESP does not. I was looking at the HTHS viscosities of both, which are 3.5+ to meet specifications such as BMW LL. 5W-30 ESP is rated at 3.58, whilst 0W-40 is rated at 3.6. Despite being very similar, 0W-40 is FSF Approved and 5W-30 ESP is not. Neither oil is GF-4 approved, so that eliminates the possibility of FSF Approval being a WSS-M2C930-A certification.

What exactly is FSF Approval, and would there be any issues with using 5W-30 ESP in a Ford engine, such as the Modular 4.6L? Thanks!

I've used several M1 oils in my Merc., all went well. About the5-30 ESP call Mobil tech at 1=800-ask mobil. They can tell for sure.

Thanks! I've actually emailed their Global Operations, will be interesting to see what they say.
55.gif

I find it soooo interesting that the recommendation for the Ford 4.6 in the states is 5W20 while what I suspect is the same engine calls for 0W40 or 5W30 overseas. Are the tolerences of the 4.6 sold outside the stated the same as those sold within the states? I would love to know if the 5W20 recommendation for the states is actually due to tolerences or simply to help achieve CAFE standards.

I have a 3.9L V8 in a Thunderbird that naturally calls for 5W20 but the same engine in the Jag calls for 5W30.

The 5W-30 ESP is made for Diesel engines. I bet Ford doesn't want a low SAP oil for their gas engines.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
I find it soooo interesting that the recommendation for the Ford 4.6 in the states is 5W20 while what I suspect is the same engine calls for 0W40 or 5W30 overseas. Are the tolerences of the 4.6 sold outside the stated the same as those sold within the states? I would love to know if the 5W20 recommendation for the states is actually due to tolerences or simply to help achieve CAFE standards.

I have a 3.9L V8 in a Thunderbird that naturally calls for 5W20 but the same engine in the Jag calls for 5W30.

Ford recommends 10W-30 weight motor oil in the Middle East, although it's not uncommon to see people running 15W-40 or 20W-50 weight oils!

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
the 4.6 is imported by ford from germany

The Modular 4.6 is actually built in the US and Canada.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
The 5W-30 ESP is made for Diesel engines. I bet Ford doesn't want a low SAP oil for their gas engines.

According to ExxonMobil, the low SAP "Helps to reduce poisoning of Gasoline Catalytic Converters".
21.gif

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
the 4.6 is imported by ford from germany

I believe it's the 4.0l 'Cologne' V6 that's in the Explorer for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back