Ford Seeks to Gain Amid Rivals' Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124381946569170851.html
Quote:
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is preparing an effort to gain market share while its two main rivals are bogged down in bankruptcy and restructuring.

Ford, the only one of Detroit's Big Three that didn't need a bailout from the federal government, plans to increase production of cars and trucks in the third quarter by about 10% from the level of a year ago, a company official said. It will be Ford's first significant production increase in almost two years.

In contrast, General Motors Corp., which is expected to file for Chapter 11 protection Monday, and Chrysler LLC, which is nearing the end of its bankruptcy reorganization, are planning to shut down their plants for nearly all of the third quarter. The difference in production plans will give Ford a chance to push sales through the prime summer selling months while GM and Chrysler focus on their internal issues.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to separate us from our other domestic competitors," said a person familiar with the matter at Ford. "No one is going to gift-wrap it for us. You have to deliver the product people want to buy. That said, you have to take this historic opportunity to grab market share."

Ford has got to be SO thankful they didn't take a government "loan".

Good for them. Smart moves all around. CEO of Ford is one of the very, very few that GETS it.

Stealing customers from GM, Chrysler, and others while retaining everyone's dignity will be a marketing challenge. You don't want to appear to be
18.gif

Makes me wonder why we don't just give them they money.

Seems odd to me that the worst (as a business, I'll leave the cars alone) companies get the most assistance.

Quote:
Seems odd to me that the worst (as a business, I'll leave the cars alone) companies get the most assistance.

Indeed. Also odd that gov. owns majority of both GM and Chrysler...

I think Ford has the right to. Survival of the fittest and when an oppotunity comes along they need to strike at it. Chrysler and GM made thier beds now they need to lay in them.

Let's hope that Ford has the smarts to keep GM and Chrysler's woes out of their advertising. They just need to stay on the track they're on now, as the 2 bankruptcies are probably already steering a lot of wary people onto Ford dealership lots.

Personally, if there was a GM that I really wanted, nothing that's going on now would stop me from buying one. But I would like some insider info on which, if any DFW dealerships will / will not close. The last thing I want is a 50 mile drive to my nearest dealership for the inevitible warranty work.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Let's hope that Ford has the smarts to keep GM and Chrysler's woes out of their advertising. They just need to stay on the track they're on now, as the 2 bankruptcies are probably already steering a lot of wary people onto Ford dealership lots.

Agree

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Personally, if there was a GM that I really wanted, nothing that's going on now would stop me from buying one.

it seems a lot of people DO feel that way. on another forum I frequent, a member detailed his purchase of a new SS Camaro, paid MSRP. he was on a waiting list for one, but bought one that another dealer wound up with from another customer backing out on (wow, that's an awkward sentence!)
the dealer is pretty useless to me anyway, after the purchase, so I wouldn't have a problem buying from GM or chryco. it does make the mustang even more attractive, though...

I wouldn't buy a G.M or Chrysler product especially after the bankrupcy. I hope others use discernment in their finances. The only power most all of us have is the way we spend our hard earned dollars . Many just give the dollars away

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Good for them. Smart moves all around. CEO of Ford is one of the very, very few that GETS it.

Yes, true. Ford will become the dominant global auto manufacturer in 5 years if they don't screw up. It is good to see them improving their product offering.

Every purchase is a vote...if we carefully research and purchase the best value, we the consumers create the dominant car maker. The De Beers talk of many manufacturers must walk through the Walmart reality.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Yes, true. Ford will become the dominant global auto manufacturer in 5 years if they don't screw up. It is good to see them improving their product offering.

They are competing with the government. It is not in the government's best interest to let that happen.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I wouldn't buy a G.M or Chrysler product especially after the bankrupcy. I hope others use discernment in their finances. The only power most all of us have is the way we spend our hard earned dollars . Many just give the dollars away

+1

Here is a good op ed piece I found on a GM forum,stuff I bet you never heard of before.
'Like the first time share price was discussed in the board room was 1958'
beginning of the end.
more

I have to give Ford kudos for coming through this mess smelling like a rose. 15 years ago I thought Ford was a joke. Now I would consider buying one if I was in the market for a new car. GM and Chrysler were just too greedy, stupid, and arrogant in the final analysis.

Ford needs to move production of the Fusion back to the United States. It doesn't look right for it to be making its best selling car in another country.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Ford needs to move production of the Fusion back to the United States. It doesn't look right for it to be making its best selling car in another country.

It makes them more money producing it in Mexico. Something they have to be doing right now (making money) as ugly as it looks. The quality is excellent though, and it is a great car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back