Ford recalls 1.6L Turbo GDI - fire danger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford recalls 440K vehicles for fire risk...

DETROIT (AP) — Ford is recalling more than 440,000 vehicles in North America to fix problems that can cause engine fires and doors to open unexpectedly.

The first recall covers over 230,000 Escape SUVs, Fiesta ST subcompacts, Fusion midsize cars and Transit Connect vans with 1.6-Liter turbocharged engines from 2013 through 2015.

The company says engines can overheat, causing the cylinder head to crack and leak oil that can catch fire. Ford has 29 reports of fires, but no injuries.

Owners can keep driving the vehicles but should go to a dealer if the cars overheat or frequently need coolant.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what objective evidence do you have that this is specifically due to the "T" or the "DI" element? What objective evidence do you have that this is specific only to a GTDI engine and could NEVER occur on an NA or on a turbocharged standard injected engine?

You didn't provide a link or explanation, so the title unnecessarily instigates the possibility for drama without substantiation...

Unfortunately, it's four paragraphs that don't give me a clue as to the link between "turbo charged", "direct injection" and the cause of the engine fires. I guess it HAS to be caused by a GDI or turbocharger component and NOT a design flaw in the engine or component that doesn't cut it not related to GDI.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So, what objective evidence do you have that this is specifically due to the "T" or the "DI" element?

To be fair, he did not state that the problem was DUE to turbo or DI. He stated that a specific 1.6 turbo engine had a problem, which it does.

But yes, the thread title is a bit ambiguous...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, what objective evidence do you have that this is specifically due to the "T" or the "DI" element?

To be fair, he did not state the the problem was DUE to turbo or DI. He stated that a specific 1.6 turbo engine had a problem, which it does.

But yes, the thread title is a bit ambiguous...

(edited [made bold] your entry for clarity of my response)

But it is easily inferred when combining the title, "More GTDI Problems" with the body of his post.

Subject change from "More GTDI problems.." to "Ford recalls 1.6L Turbo GDI - fire danger"

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Subject change from "More GTDI problems.." to "Ford recalls 1.6L Turbo GDI - fire danger"

01.gif

it's all connected, TGDI engine grenades and ignites the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock

4 short paragraphs, have to read them I guess.

If you had only provided a link to the four paragraphs, or a cut and paste, or something else that makes the case that they are related.... and specifically due to turbo or DI.

Wow. Good to know that coolant flow is tied directly to the GDI fuel pump and turbocharger...I had no idea that GDI equates to a coolant hardware and software fix for likely substandard componentry. I wonder how turbo GDI effects the cabin air filter and belt latches??

4 short paragraphs, have to read them I guess.

If you had only provided a link to the four paragraphs, or a cut and paste, or something else that makes the case that they are related.... and specifically due to turbo or DI.

Thank you sir JHZR2 for the correction and you also WWilson
smile.gif

you can imagine where the low flashpoint fuel diluted oil gets on a manifold and ka-boom..29 times is a pattern.

you can imagine where the low flashpoint fuel diluted oil gets on a manifold and ka-boom..29 times is a pattern.

Only on your Civic.
lol.gif

..love a joker..anyway it's been like the lions vs. christians since the seatbelt, pcv, cats..remember the mandatory 5mph bumper?..but the TGDI takes the cake! how far can this platform reasonably go? they all seem disheveled.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
most problems with TGDI are systemic to the platform.

What???

That's right, systemic ...Ford cracks the head under stress oil is introduced the the motor exterior probably loaded with fuel and it grenades...TGDI stressed out, they all suffer issues...it's the platform.

...and regulation threats put this junk on the road to meet CAFE projections..without that this platform would be proto type or beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back