Ford Recalling 135,365 SUV's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Counting the posts till this turns into a Ford = Garbage thread....

Glad to see that they are taking the initiative even though no lives have been lost.

"Ford is also in the process of recalling over 19,000 Mustang Cobras because the accelerator pedal can stick on the floor carpeting in the car."

That's my dream: driving a Cobra with the pedal glued to the floor!

Recalls also affect even Lexus:

"TOKYO — Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) said on Wednesday it is recalling 11,000 Lexus cars in Japan and 46,000 overseas to fix a faulty seat belt part."

An auto manufacturer issues a safety recall for a problem that hasn't been killing and injuring people in an overseas country for a year prior?

^^^PR move (I'm always skeptical now)

quote:

But what about that NYC Taxi yellow Hummer I continually notice parked at my gym?
shocked.gif

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not from me. I'm on my 4th Ford pickup (an 03 Ranger) and have loved them all.

quote:

Originally posted by kkreit01:
Recalls also affect even Lexus:
"TOKYO — Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) said on Wednesday it is recalling 11,000 Lexus cars in Japan and 46,000 overseas to fix a faulty seat belt part."

Unlike their American counterparts (who due to their many detractors [MOST of this country] seem to have NO CHOICE in the matter), TOYota generally tries like the devil to cover up/wash over/distract or deny any/all problems they have in order to perpetuate their myth of being beyond perfection.

Case in point. When I worked for the Nippon giant, there was a serious fuel tank recall on their "infallible" Land Cruiser. We were told to keep it "hush hush" which prompted me to boldly call up Autoweek. It was in the next issue in the news section. Take that TOYota!!
tongue.gif
lol.gif
patriot.gif

When NTT purchased Verio, it was the same ****, different owner. From what I understand it's still run like a government department (probably the DC DMV would be the most apt comparison to make).

At least I made a healthy chunk of change from NTT's purchase...and learned exactly how Japanese management differs from US management (hint: It doesn't).

All Comapanies try to hide the truth. Either the media gets a hold of insider information or the goverenment forces their hand!!! I can think of almost 100 different things that should have been recalls at GM but never were. In 99% of cases the dealers were told to play stupid and try to pass as much cost as possable on to the owner. I saw it happen daily for almost 5 years while I worked for the "General"! Most people are not allowed to see data showing patern failures across the divission. You also have to know what type of questions to be asking.

As a matter of fact if ever you have seen the items that Motormite has in it's "Help Section" in most large parts stores you get an idea of what I am talking about.

I am currently working on the parts side of the auto industry and I can tell you that if not for GM we would not make much money at all, I would say that 95% of our business is after market parts for GM's vechiles with Ford and Chrysler tied for second place and Volkswagen in a solid third place. I am sure if we had more Volkswagen parts available though they would be first!!! My point is that even if you rule out hushed up recalls GM has the worst track record going for surability of key items i.e. brake rotors,pads,starters,alternators,power steering pumps,master cylinders,ignition modules,crank sensor,slave cylinders, gaskets,water pumps!

FOr the record Toyota has never been cited for hushing up a saftey recall. Mitsubishi has been official cited for doing this!

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:

quote:

Originally posted by dailydriver:

When I worked for the Nippon giant,

The truth surfaces.

If you think the US manufacturers are better about recalls you're dreaming. They stonewall and ignore problems, sometimes for decades. Not to say the Japanese are better, only that I can't see much difference in this area as far as avoiding recalls until they have no other choice.

The way to avoid recalls is to design and build the vehicle properly in the first place and if I look, my Fords have had far more recalls than my Toyotas. My last 2 Nissans OTOH have a number of problem itrems that probably should have been recalled, but never were...

I think Honda's main relay problems are comparable in cost and time to replace with Ford's TFI-IV problems.

And wouldn't you know, there was never a recall for either...

Ford is still a good company and its good they are repairing the padding and accelerator issues.

If I had a cobra with a stuck accelerator pedal, I'd push in the clutch, and pull over. The rev limiter would cut the fuel pump off and then I'd just unpop the pedal with my foot.

I got rid of my carpeted mats for some rubber ones anyways that don't come near the pedals.

quote:

Originally posted by mr_happy27:
Ford is still a good company

I beg to differ.
Check out Ford's stock performance in the last 2 years, and then compare it to Toyota.

FORD
 -

-

In 1999 Nissan had almost gone bankrupt, but got rescued by Renault when it had a $20 billion debt and only three of its 48 models were making any profit.
Not a fare comparison either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back