Ford "quick connect" thingy broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled a fuel filter off my 96 F150 today and i guess i damaged both of the quick connectors. I assume that Autozone or NAPA carries some kind of replacement and that I can cut the nylon line and plug the replacement connector in. Any tips or advice are appreciated.

If you just damaged the little nylon spring clip thingie those can be worked out without splicing the line.

But yeah they also have nylon splice-in-line-ender things at napa. You generally have to dip the nylon in boiling water to soften it then jam it on a brass barb.

Good hot/ boiling water should soften the plastic line where you can remove the damaged connectors. On the bench, a heat gun/hair dryer can be used for making new sections but I would be hesitant using one when the line is attached to vehicle.If you damaged only the horseshoe clip, you can get those at any parts store without having to mess with quick disconnects. The clips should be replaced anytime they are removed.

Last edited:
The single best way ever of inserting new fittings into nylon line is to use a tubing clamp as a vice of sorts and a caulk gun as a press and press them in the nylon. So you take the tubing clamp part of a tubing flaring tool, leave as much nylon tubing sticking out as the depth of the barbs on the new fitting, then you put that in the end of the caulk gun that you would put the discharge end of the caulk in and uses the plunger end to press the new fitting into the nylon hose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFCQccnuvl4

This guy is using modified clamp, but you get the idea, a caulk gun is what I've used numerous times with great success. All the tubing clamp is doing is holding the nylon tubing securely, not so tightly it's damaging it. Heating the nylon and inserting is not a good idea. That's not the way they are factory installed and after installation with heated nylon they are no way near as strong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back