Ford Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Ford guys... Need some help if you can be of assistance.

1) Does anyone know where the Anti-Theft module is on a '02 Ford Windstar?

2) Does anyone know of any common problems with a '00 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 Litre engine? We have no compression in Cylinder #2 and we are thinking it's a valve-spring or rocker that is the cause. Anything common with these engines? Has 100K KM (60K Miles) and has been well maintained...

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Steve
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The compression issue sounds like a stuck valve and have no clue about the Anti-Theft module.

+1 no compression has to be an open or broken valve that is not seating or a hole in the piston.
shocked2.gif

Not a hole in the piston. We filled the cylinder with air and it doesn't come out the dipstick tube, only the Throttle body. So it's definitely something with the intake valve.

Either the valve, spring or rocker... It's on the left head which is a PITA to remove because you have to take so much off the engine.
smirk2.gif

If there was a common problem with these engines that is "known" and would make it not worth repairing, we could just pull the entire engine and put in a used one, but this one has so little mileage we wanted to salvage this one if it was something simple.

We are going to pull the rocker cover before pulling the engine to see if it's something simple, but wanted to know if these engine have any common issues.

cheers3.gif
Thanks for the responses thus far.

Front Electronic Module (FEM)
Removal and Installation

CAUTION: Prior to removal of the FEM, it is necessary to upload module configuration information to a diagnostic tool. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01.

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
Remove the instrument panel lower steering column opening cover.
Remove the bolts.

Remove the instrument panel opening cover reinforcement.
Remove the bolts.

Remove the front electronic module (FEM).
Disconnect the five electrical connectors.
Remove the three bolts.

CAUTION: Once the new module is installed, it is necessary to download the module configuration information from the diagnostic tool into the new module. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Rear Electronic Module (REM)
Removal and Installation

CAUTION: Prior to removal of the REM, it is necessary to upload module configuration information to a diagnostic tool. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01.

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
Remove the RH quarter trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05.
Remove the service jack mounting bracket.
Remove the bolts.

Remove the REM.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Remove the nuts.

CAUTION: Once the new module is installed, it is necessary to download the module configuration information from the diagnostic tool into the new module. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

its usually something in the head on the 4.0 OHV. we usually just replace both heads as that is cheaper than what a machine shop would cost to work them over.

As you know the Ford dealer will tell about AT Mod. As far as this being a common problem on the compression thing, that would no. Ford engines are very durable as a rule.

I don't doubt they are durable, especially the 4.0 because it was used with great success in the Aerostar IMO. I just wanted to know if an engine has problems if there is more common stuff to look for.

I think we are dealing with a head problem, so I will be yanking the valve cover to have a look before yanking the engine.

*FINGERS CROSSED* it is something simple.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I don't doubt they are durable, especially the 4.0 because it was used with great success in the Aerostar IMO. I just wanted to know if an engine has problems if there is more common stuff to look for.

I think we are dealing with a head problem, so I will be yanking the valve cover to have a look before yanking the engine.

*FINGERS CROSSED* it is something simple.
grin2.gif

Ford engines have been very durable for for me. Much more so than the Asian engines my family members were deceived into buying before they came back to the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back