Ford owners ... did you stick with 5w20 after your vehicle went out of warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly have. Can't think of a good reason not to.

The Ford 930-A spec for 20 weight oils is a tough standard, and the uoa reports on this site have shown consistently good results.

I haven't. I want a little added protection in hot weather so I opted for a 5w-30. I have not noticed a difference in mpg or performance in a 2002 Mustang GT.

I'm leaning towards changing to 5w-30.

It gets awfully hot in the summer in New Orleans and 90% of my driving is in the city.

Something I learned with the Ford 4.6 motor is that it uses a very high volume oil pump compared to the pushrod motors it replaced. With 30W you will get ~90 PSI at a cold idle and ~30 PSI at a hot idle with a stock mod motor. Thats one of the (many) reasons a 20WT can work there and not on the older engines.

I would be inclined to go 10w30, but if the oil pressure got too high I would not do it. If I had one of these new Fords and had to run 5w20 then it would be Redline because it has a HTHS viscosity of a 30 weight.

50K miles and going strong on 5w-20 since new in my 2001 windstar 3.8L WooHoo!
G/luck
Joel

After I put 4k miles on my new 2003 Mercury Gran Marquis, I changed the oil to a full synthetic 5w-30. I didn't feel comfortable using 5w-20 oil in this Texas heat, especially driving in stop & go traffic every day. The car now has 23k miles on it and so far no mechanical problems that I'm aware of. The car has never used any oil between changes. So far so good.

I switched my '03 Marauder to 5W-30 at the first oil change (1,000 miles). If it was still stock, I might have switched back to 5W-20 now that I've been edgumicated by this great site...
smile.gif

I use motorcraft 5-20 in a 04 Expedition with 5.4l. No oil usage in 5000 miles. Plant to stay with 5-20. Bought used 01 Merc Grsnd Marquis 4.6l changed oil to mc 5-20 immediatly. Used 1 quart in 3000 miles. Changed oil again will see if oil consumption continues. If so will go to a 10-30 oil.

Well I bought my car used but I still use 5W-20. I've used 5W-30, 0W-20 and 5W-20 and they all felt the same. So I decided to go with the one in the middle since it gets real hot in the summer and real cold in the winter.

I am running 30 even before warranty expired. heck, if there is a problem, I will just change the oil to 20 before I bring it in.

been using amsoil asl 5w30 on my 02 mustang gt since it had 1000K miles now it has 8k miles..

Yeah ... I might live life on the edge and go with 5w-30 M1 before the warranty expires.

I just don't like the thought of 5w-20 in New Orleans summers.

FWIW the company I work for went 230,000 miles in an F-150 (1997) 4.6L with 15W-40 truck oil. Still ran like new but was in an accident and sent to the junkyard. My guess would be that it would easily make it to 300K with truck oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back