Ford outsells Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Paddle shifters just aren't a deal breaker for most. But I agree they would be a welcome addition.

Agreed, but at the minimum, they should offer a manual shift feature. If GM and Toyota offer it on vehicles equipped with six-speed autos, there's no excuse for Ford.

Quote:
Regarding NVH:
Originally Posted By: Motor Trend
On the new stretches, the Fusion's noise abatement program appears to have paid off with lower noise levels than in the Accord, particularly in wind rush. On the rougher stuff, the Ford seems a bit stiffer legged than the Accord, but supremely rigid, with no shudders reverberating after an impact, some of which can be felt in the wider-track, longer-wheelbase Honda.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/seda...n/interior.html

Though this is from the 2.5 in the Mazda 6, I doubt the Fusion's is much different:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2008/12/2009-mazda-6-i-grand-touring-zoom-zoom-try-boom-roar.html

The 2.5/6F35 is a good deal more refined than the 2.3/A5 powertrain that it replaced.

So? A lot of things are better than its predecessor, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You can be fairly assured my next new car will be a Ford.

Only because it won't be Chryuawfiat.gov

It's GMChryuawfiat.gov, fool.
grin2.gif

Actually, Ford did a good bit of work to their version of the 2.5. Regardless, perceived engine "smoothness" has just as much to do with vehicle specific NVH suppression as the engine itself.

Originally Posted By: TheCarConnection
For 2010, the base 2.5-liter four-cylinder and both V-6 engines are quiet, smooth, and significantly more fuel-efficient.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/bottomline/ford_fusion_2010

I think Ford has what it takes to be #1. Their management team is on top of their game, and pushing hard. Toyota is slipping, and not the darling it used to be, the public is catching on. JMO

AD

Originally Posted By: The Critic
My concern with Ford is that their line-up falls short of the competition. In my opinion, their design and innovation falls short of GM. For example, the Malibu is more refined and more fuel efficient than the Fusion.

IMO, for years Toyota and Honda's design and innovation was far short of GM's (and arguably still is), and everybody loved (and continues to love) them. In the modern auto industry, that has little to do with your success, it's all about *perception* of reliability, design, and innovation.

Regardless, I'm just happy to see an American-owned automaker doing (relatively) well and getting some well-deserved good press for once.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
My neighbor has been buying almost nothing but Camrys for the past 10 years or so. He just brought home a new Fusion a few weeks ago.
One of those made in Mexico?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
Yeah, ford's getting better. But as far as reliability, that's going to take years and years to rebuild.

Ford already beats Toyota when it comes to reliability. Who else would people like them to beat? Give 'em a target...

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Yeah, ford's getting better. But as far as reliability, that's going to take years and years to rebuild.

Ford already beats Toyota when it comes to reliability. Who else would people like them to beat? Give 'em a target...

Maybe in PERCEIVED PREDICTED RELIABLITY.

3Toyotas please go troll another thread. We already know what you are going to drone on about.

Hey, it's worked for the Japanese brands for years...

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black.
LOL.gif

Do what?

The 2010 Ford Fusion tops the class in fuel economy even without counting the Hybrid. http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/01/09/...bers-23-34-mpg/

The '10 Fusion leap-frogged the Malibu big time, in every way, including style, NVH, and power (263 HP 3.5L Sport now available). The headline grabbing Hybrid is just the icing on the cake, or the final nail in the coffin as it were.

The Fusion SE and SEL four cylinder deliver 22/31. The Malibu LTZ delivers 22/33. Only the base model Fusion S delivers the class leading fuel economy.

The Malibu has paddle shifters, the Ford doesn't. The 2.5L engine in the Fusion isn't the most refined at high RPM. Those are just a few things. I could go on and on.

The point is, Ford is getting better. A lot better. They have reliability figured out. Now they just need to make better products.

It all comes down to REAl WORLD numbers, not EPA estimates.

Ford vehicles are reliable right now, they will only get better. I like Toyota as well, but I'm really impressed with the direction Ford is going.

The only engine Ford is using right now that I don't like, is the 6.4 Powerstroke. In 2010 or 2011, they're going to use an in house 6.7. Hopefully a much better engine than the 6.0 or 6.4.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Do what?

The 2010 Ford Fusion tops the class in fuel economy even without counting the Hybrid. http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/01/09/...bers-23-34-mpg/

The '10 Fusion leap-frogged the Malibu big time, in every way, including style, NVH, and power (263 HP 3.5L Sport now available). The headline grabbing Hybrid is just the icing on the cake, or the final nail in the coffin as it were.

The Fusion SE and SEL four cylinder deliver 22/31. The Malibu LTZ delivers 22/33. Only the base model Fusion S delivers the class leading fuel economy.

The Malibu has paddle shifters, the Ford doesn't. The 2.5L engine in the Fusion isn't the most refined at high RPM. Those are just a few things. I could go on and on.

The point is, Ford is getting better. A lot better. They have reliability figured out. Now they just need to make better products.

It all comes down to REAl WORLD numbers, not EPA estimates.

Ford vehicles are reliable right now, they will only get better. I like Toyota as well, but I'm really impressed with the direction Ford is going.

Exactly! Ford made a lot of smart moves and they're paying off. In a better economy they'd be kicking some serious [censored].

Hey, it's worked for the Japanese brands for years...

Honda and Toyota aren't nearly as reliable as they used to be but are living on reputation. Don't get me wrong they are very good cars but not what they used to be IMO. Ford is definitely heading in the right direction. I hope they continue to improve. I also hope that among the concessions that Mulally gets from the UAW is the ability to FIRE poor performing employees. A company is only as good as the people who work for it IMO.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: exranger06
My neighbor has been buying almost nothing but Camrys for the past 10 years or so. He just brought home a new Fusion a few weeks ago.
One of those made in Mexico?
smirk2.gif

Probably. What does that have to do with anything? We're talking about how Ford as a company is improving it's products. Not debating US-built vs Mexican-built quality.

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black.
LOL.gif

Hey there fordinator; how you doing?

Where you been anyway? Don't tell my you've been trying to get that ford running again. haha j/k.

The Fusion/Milan remind me -- in their position in the Ford lineup, in their size, and other things -- of my first car, the '75 Ford Maverick, and its cousin, the Mercury Comet. This is a good thing; I was very fond of the green Maverick, and learned a lot on it. My second car was a Mercury, the gigantic Park Lane full-sizer, with the power rear window Breezeway option.

Translation: It may be time to come back to Ford when I'm in the market again.

Toyota sheep are really irritating.

Ford is doing a great job. They will be number one soon and will stay there for many years if the commie labor unions don't kill them.

How Ford can even compete with Toyota is beyond me when one uses highly overpaid commieunion labor compared to $15/hr labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back