Ford on WSS-M2C929-A vs WSS-M2C946-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Volk06,

This is Jamie again from Ford's Customer Relationship Center. Thank you for writing back to us and for your patience while we escalated your inquiry to a Technical Subject Matter Expert.

According to their resources, the WSS-M2C946-A oil specification is the newer specification that replaces the WSS-M2C929-A specification. It will be the proper engine oil engine oil to use with the WSS-M2C946-A specification.

I hope the information I provided helps. Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Jamie
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800) 392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday. Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952 .

For online support visit us at www.customersaskford.com which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information

Last edited:
This is exactly what most everyone has said and we finally have some proof to back up the nay sayers.

Last edited:
WSS-M2C946-A may be only API SN.
WSS-M2C929-A may be API SL/SM

I like API SL (max Zinc=1200ppm)!

Yes, the 946 spec simply replaces the 929 one for 5w-30. I think the 946 spec came out when SN oils did, and the 929 was associated with SM or SL oils. Ford did the same thing with 5w-20, as the 945 spec replaced the 930 spec. You still see some new SN oils that also list the old/outdated specs on the bottle along with the new ones, but this is redundant, since the newer specs supersede the older ones for usage and warranty purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back