Ford OLM question

Status
Not open for further replies.
How accurate are these things? Long short, my dad was only able to get about 5100 miles out of a fill M1 5w20 w/ a M1 filter before the OLM told him the oil needed changed. I assume its best to go by that, but basically 5000 miles on a synthetic fill? Does this seem right? It does see a lot of short trips though out the week (14 miles to work and back.. and comes home for lunch= 28 miles) but does get out on the highway at least once a week for about 50 miles one way. Vehicle is a 2013 Raptor with the 6.2. It gets driven very easy and since its winter time, it doesnt have to haul anything. *Giving PP a try with a MC filter this OCI. It will be interesting to see how different the results are.

Last edited:
Is it a DI engine and the OLM factoring in fuel dilution? If so then 5k is probably right on target.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
*Giving PP a try with a MC filter this OCI. It will be interesting to see how different the results are.
I bet there's little difference. Ford calibrates its OLM for Motorcraft 5W-20 which is a synthetic blend. The OLM can't tell that you're using M1.

It's intelligent in that it goes by time, mileage, engine load, etc. That being said, I believe there is a 1 year timer built into it so you change it at least every year. Leave it sit and it will count down quicker. Do lots of short trips and it will do the same.

When you changed it, did you sample and get a UOA? Only way to be sure.

dlundblad

Unfortunately no. If the oil meets factory specs, that's all he's really concerned about. Also with expecting different results, different engines like different oils. M1 and PP are 2 different oils with different add packs etc. so different results is quite possible IMO.

Unfortunately no. If the oil meets factory specs, that's all he's really concerned about. Also with expecting different results, different engines like different oils. M1 and PP are 2 different oils with different add packs etc. so different results is quite possible IMO.
Only a change in driving habits will change the OCI interval. The computer is not doing a oil analysis. It is calculating fuel burned, oil temperatures, engine revolutions, distanced traveled, and engine operating hours to determine when a oil change should be done based on testing conducted by Ford using a PCMO meeting Ford Motorcraft blend 5w20. http://owner.ford.com/Storage/CommonImages/images/IOLM%20FAQ.pdf

My f150 has a 6 month timer. Regardless of miles. It also seems to require oil changes at 6100-6700 miles if before 6 months. Uoa results do not match the olm requirements. My uoa results are superb at far more miles than the olm.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
*Giving PP a try with a MC filter this OCI. It will be interesting to see how different the results are.
I bet there's little difference. Ford calibrates its OLM for Motorcraft 5W-20 which is a synthetic blend. The OLM can't tell that you're using M1.
Yup, this is why I gravitate towards MC oil and filter in my newer Fords. Not that you can't use others, but if I am going by the computer for OCI then I want, at the minimum, to use the oil it was calibrated for.

Back on 03/10/14, I did My first Oil Change on my Sable. When i bought it in late Jan, the Dealer had had the car for nearly 3 mo, they said they did an oil change when they took it in. but if they did, they didn't reset the OLM, and within a week or so of purchase, it was popping up with 10% remaining, change oil soon. assuming they actually did change the oil, I just reset the OLM. cut to March 10th, out of no where we had a dry day, in the 50's, and i had they day off work. took out the god knows what oil, and the Carquest filter, replaced with an fl400s, and Meijer (Warren) Full Syn. Reset the Olm, life is good. today, on my way home, just out of curiosity, check the OLM, Holy Heck! I'm already down to 90% remaining! a 10 point drop in only 17 days/294mi! now, granted, I am a short tripper (4.5 mi commute), and come lunch time there is a fair amount of Drive-Thru Idle, and I've been Running late lately, so I have had a few Mornings of Hammer down driving... but Dang! if that rate holds up, it'll make a 170 day(5.6mo)/2,940mi OCI by the OLM. WOW.....

Last edited:
I'm going to guess that it is set for a lower oil change interval - say 3000 miles (your mileage is about 10% of that, no?). My '07 Explorer is set standard for 5000 miles or 6 months. You can lower that if you wish in the settings. It isn't intellegent - just a mileage and time counter, nothing more.

wtd

Originally Posted By: dave1251
You have the Ford not so intelligent OLM. It is programmed for a 6 month 7.5K interval whatever is first.
I don't believe this. I just changed the oil for the first time in my 2014 Mustang GT that I bought in August of last year. The car was built in Feb of 2013 and had sat on the dealer's lot for about six months. When I first bought the car, the OLM was at 99% with 38 miles on the car. When I changed the oil, the car had a little over 4,700 miles on it and the OLM was at 43%. Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
You have the Ford not so intelligent OLM. It is programmed for a 6 month 7.5K interval whatever is first.
I don't believe this. I just changed the oil for the first time in my 2014 Mustang GT that I bought in August of last year. The car was built in Feb of 2013 and had sat on the dealer's lot for about six months. When I first bought the car, the OLM was at 99% with 38 miles on the car. When I changed the oil, the car had a little over 4,700 miles on it and the OLM was at 43%. Wayne
probably a different system/olm algorithm in your '14 Mustang, than my '09 Sable. ie: mine might just be programmed for 6mo/7.5k mi, and yours might actually be "intelligent" taking in to account multiple internal and external variables. I could also be talking out of my rear as well..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: wtd
probably a different system/olm algorithm in your '14 Mustang, than my '09 Sable. ie: mine might just be programmed for 6mo/7.5k mi, and yours might actually be "intelligent" taking in to account multiple internal and external variables. I could also be talking out of my rear as well..
This. You have the IOLM. I for intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.