Ford motorcraft Full synthetic 5 W 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased some of Ford's oil over the internet. Upon looking at the label on the rear of the bottles , I noticed something i think is odd. Under the " API Service SN " it says in small print "Product of Korea ". Does anyone know if this could be right OR could this be a knockoff oil. I thought Phillips/Conoco made this oil for Ford and I assumed it would be made in the US. Everything looks proper; bottle ,labeling , colors, coding, wording, nothing to indicate it is not legit except that small print is throwing me off.
Anyone got any insight or heard of knockoff oil before?

Kensley
2015 Ford Explorer Limited

Last edited:
My blend bottles from MC don't say anything regarding Korea. I would contact the company you bought from. I would assume it is a knockoff until proven otherwise.

From the supplier I purchased from:

"Everything comes directly from the Motorcraft distributor. And that oil
still comes to them via the Conoco production plant (we talked yesterday
about a delayed order from them). ConocoPhillips does import oil from Korea
(Group III base oils) and they now use it as part of the blend on all of
their 5w20 and 5w30 products that I am aware of. Since part of the oil is
from Korea (still blended and bottled in the US) they have to disclose
"Product of Korea".

I guess my fears were unwarranted. Thanks to all that replied.

Kensley

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
What 'fears' were these?

That the maker would lie about the product name but be truthful about the country of origin...

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Worry not. It's an excellent oil. All it lacks is a Mobil 1 style marketing campaign.

^^^ This. Motorcraft is good to go.

GREAT OIL !!! I USE BOTH FULL SYN. & BLEND , THEY NOW MAKE 0W20 SYN BLEND, I WILL USE IT THIS COMING WINTER IN MY 2003 F-150 5.4L .....

Originally Posted By: mer
GREAT OIL !!! I USE BOTH FULL SYN. & BLEND , THEY NOW MAKE 0W20 SYN BLEND, I WILL USE IT THIS COMING WINTER IN MY 2003 F-150 5.4L .....

+1

The Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic MAY be the optimum motor oil for Ford engines. Unfortunately, very few owners have ponied up the $$$ to try it or buy it from the dealership. Maybe better than both Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Ultra.

When you consider that Ford does all its durability and desert testing with Motorcraft 5W20 blend, here is my attitude : you would be hard pressed to find a better performing motor oil, but you could very likely find a worse performer. Google "Ford F150 Hero engine." An engine tear down of a tortured F150 should come up, using the "lowly, inexpensive" Motorcraft Blend motor oil. You will come away impressed.

In my case, the only UOA I had done on my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid looked like this: Oil change interval - 5400 miles, FE of 3, TBN of 2.4. 70,000 miles on the car. Recommendation to extend the next oil change interval out to 7,500 miles.

Lots of the Grp III basestock used in blending US market oils comes from Korea.
There were until quite recently no refineries producing Grp III basestock in the US. I think that at least one is now in operation, although it may merely be under construction at this point.
I don't think that I'd be too concerned with what's on the label in this regard.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: wemay
What 'fears' were these?

That the maker would lie about the product name but be truthful about the country of origin...

understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back