Ford = More deaths than Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Maybe a mod could take a few seconds and change the thread title to reflect reality?????

Some suggestions....

"Toyota UA deaths nearly triple Fords"
"Toyotas UA deaths lead the Industry"
"Toyotas UA deaths over 10X GMs"

This thread title is ridiculus and inflammatory. Unless the OP is going back to 1903 or something. In which case, I could start a thread about all the deaths caused by Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi since 1903....Do we want to go there?

ROFLCOPTER! Mitsu deaths would be WAY up there.........
wink.gif

Or how about these....Since many around here feel, probably rightly so, that UA is directly related to intelligence or driving skill.....

"Toyota drivers 3x as likely to be stupid vs Ford Drivers"
"Toyota drivers over 10x as likely to be bad drivers vs GM drivers"

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Maybe a mod could take a few seconds and change the thread title to reflect reality?????

Some suggestions....

"Toyota UA deaths nearly triple Fords"
"Toyotas UA deaths lead the Industry"
"Toyotas UA deaths over 10X GMs"

This thread title is ridiculus and inflammatory. Unless the OP is going back to 1903 or something. In which case, I could start a thread about all the deaths caused by Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi since 1903....Do we want to go there?

ROFLCOPTER! Mitsu deaths would be WAY up there.........
wink.gif

LOL....Yes it would, can you say Zero....lol.

I think this was Bloomberg's spin. Aren't they like the propaganda news agency for WallStreet and financial types or something like that? You wouldn't get your financial info from Motor Trend so why would you want Bloomberg auto news?

do we have to really stoop so low as to compare how many deaths occur per manufacturer????????????????

the fact of the matter is is that toyota has a problem that needs resolved sooner rather than later, when sudden acceleration it is very easy to say throw it in neutral or turn the key off, but until a panic situation happens no one knows how they are going to react until they are actually in that particular situation.

i am not trying to take away the seriousness of all of the other manufacturers issues in the past, but the toyota acceleration is now front and center, and comparing manufacturers deaths due to malfunctions, like keeping score just isn't right

RR1, I agree with you. I'm merely attempting to reflect the same logic used in the thread title, only in reverse. If my suggested titles insult anyone, then so as well, should the Thread Title.

As far as comparing numbers per manufacturer, it does sound morbid. But it is what NHTSA does everyday, it's the best way to statistically isolate a problem from common mistakes. Without looking at the numbers it gets washed away with a common belief that UA is often a driver fault. But when you notice in the numbers one manufacturer standing out, it indicates a problem above and beyond the typical panic or driver error situation. So while it is morbid, it is also a very valuable tool.

I agree. It just points out the biased media. They are biased in favor of Toyota, so it's just like you can't believe their reports about vehicle reliability. Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't remember the media defending Ford when they had the tire issue. I don't think there's anything wrong with news that puts a positive light on an automakers issue but they should do that equally, not pick favorites.

But when you notice in the numbers one manufacturer standing out, it indicates a problem above and beyond the typical panic or driver error situation.

This would only be true if all the other variables -- demographics, types of vehicles sold, etc. -- were the same for all the makes. I'm not sure that's the case.

Of course, you would break the data down further to eliminate variables. But when looking at the raw data it is statistically significant when one manufacturer has almost as many UA reports as all other manufacturers combined.

The only instance where that raw data wouldnt be significant would be if Toyota built 60% of the cars on the road. We all know that isn't the case. Are you proposing that Toyotas customer base/product or market area is so far removed from other manufacturers so as to disqualify the other manufacturers as comparable?

In any case, I'm just pointing out that studying these "morbid" numbers and discussing them is a valuable pursuit.

Last edited:
Here are some hypotheticals: What if more unskilled and/or careless people buy Toyotas than Fords? What if Ford owners are more likely to be the type to know what to do in case of unintended acceleration? Those kinds of scenarios would skew the numbers significantly. That's what I was getting at.

I think Toyota kills more people who don't even drive Toyotas: some die out of sheer boredom and lack of character just by looking at Toyotas. Some who drive them also die, even without sudden acceleration - due to sheer mind numbing boredom and lack of spirit.
yep, they're that boring.

- j/k (kinda) no offense
wink.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
March 15 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. regulators have tracked more deaths in vehicles made by Ford Motor Co., Chrysler Group LLC and other companies combined than by Toyota Motor Corp. during three decades of unintended acceleration reviews that often blamed human error.

So you average over 3 decades, and draw a conclusion even though toyota was less than a bit player in the market for the first 10 years of those 3 decades, sorta a bit player for the next 5, and only a major market player for the past 15.

Uhh... yeah. That's valid.

Car have problem, yes but still at the end...the driver is to blame to, most people panic when the vehicle react in a different way it suppose to. Everyone should take a defensive driving course; People in these day and age rely way too much on the vehicle, ABS, TCS, TPM, ESC ect….are great but now people just rely on them. I mean why checking the pressure of your tire ,the light will tell you, if you did you maybe would have seen , your right tire badly damage but hey…light say its fine so I don’t worry. The safety of modern vehicle is incredible, check a crash test from a F150 from 97 and one from 2007 the difference is phenomenal, driver ability on the other end did decrease dramatically.

Steam-powered cars aren't exempt from the crushing blow of fate:

"The world’s first road traffic death involving a motor vehicle is alleged to have occurred on 31 August 1896. An Irish scientist Mary Ward died when she fell out of her cousins' steam car and was run over."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision

It would be wise to recall all steam-powered vehicles.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Funny coming from a 97 tbird driver!!!!!!

Drive a TBird with a v8 or supercharged v6...vroom! those are were fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back