Ford loses 3 billion on EV

Interest in small cars waned when loan financing and gasoline was free. Just like 1980 the legacy 3 are behind when suddenly there is interest again.

Luckily GM decided to retain Daewoo - which really is the focus of this thread. Otherwise I don't think they would be able to compete with the overhead in their other factories.

Luckily GM decided to retain Daewoo - which really is the focus of this thread. Otherwise I don't think they would be able to compete with the overhead in their other factories.

Is building vehicles in Korea cheaper than Mexico? If so, then why does Hyundai / Kia make vehicles in Mexico?
I would think that Ford vehicles made in Mexico would be competitive.

Their “losses” are missing the point. A Mustang Mach-E has a rated eMPG of 103. Without EVs in the mix, they’ll need to downsize everything else in the light truck category in order to meet CAFE requirements.

Is building vehicles in Korea cheaper than Mexico? If so, then why does Hyundai / Kia make vehicles in Mexico?
I would think that Ford vehicles made in Mexico would be competitive.
Labor wise it would be significantly cheaper in Mexico. I presume that is why H/K moved there, along with the fact that those types of small cars sell well in Mexico and other Latin American countries - closer to customer = lower transport cost.

Presumably labor cost would make it possible for Ford / GM to make small cars in Mexico cheaply, however they both had factories there for decades, so them getting out of that market in general has obvious other issues than labor costs. I suspect a Mexican factory for either looks a lot like a American factory, with Mexican workers. I would suspect a Korean Daewoo factory looks a lot different - more like a high turn / highly flexible Japanese plant. Just a guess.

Back