Ford/Lincoln Power Transfer Unit Service-Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Lincoln MKX. I love it but the weak link and huge under engineering blunder by Ford on mine and several other Ford models is the PTU being esse sealed. It has a fill plug but no drain. I had mine serviced about a year ago as it was leaking. My mechanic flushed, filled and installed a new seal. It's fine but I know it needs to be suctioned and filled with fresh syn 75w-140 fluid. The local Valvoline quick change place claims to be able to provide this service.... Around $100, which I think may include both differentials as well.
Anyone take their Ford product to these guys or any other place to service the PTU?

If they include all diffs that sounds reasonable, check for local coupons too. The local VOC here used to be top notch, over the past 6 months they have had a lot of mgt./line turnover and it's now a clown show. I use them only for state inspections. You can try them but I'd watch them like a hawk during the service and make certain they use the correct fluids. Also if you had this done last year, how many miles since?

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
If they include all diffs that sounds reasonable, check for local coupons too. The local VOC here used to be top notch, over the past 6 months they have had a lot of mgt./line turnover and it's now a clown show. I use them only for state inspections. You can try them but I'd watch them like a hawk during the service and make certain they use the correct fluids. Also if you had this done last year, how many miles since?

About 12-15,000 so it's due. The other alternative is my regular mechanic. I know he'll get it done right but it will be with him all day. How do you watch them when the guy is doing the work under the car in the pit?

Be sure of what they put in and ask for a sample from the PTU …

On my Explorer … the exhaust was directly under the PTU … so figured sitting in traffic it must be baking that PTU and the gear oil … A roll of titanium header tape and 4 hose clamps cut the heat down a bunch … was easy to do …

What engine do you have in the MKX, is it a turbo? If it's the 2.0 EB it might be easier to drain and fill vs the 3.5 EB or 3.5. I have the 2.3 EB and it's a snap to do, easy access to the fill plug, nothing in the way and the exhaust is not up against the PTU. AND I have a drain plug on mine
grin2.gif
. The Ford dealer charged me $110, labor and Motorcraft 75W-140 gear oil, just to do the PTU. I had my mechanic change it a second time he charged me $30 labor, I supplied the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140, ~$15. With yours, having to suction out the old oil, a slow and tedious process, I'd be real leery about having a quick change lube place do it as it's time consuming to do it properly. The rear diff has to have the old gear oil suctioned out of it's fill hole also. My mechanic did that also and it took a lot of time to suction the majority of gear oil out. He charged me $80 for labor. I was in the shop watching while he did both services. It's tedious and slow going if you are trying to get any decent amount of oil suctioned out. I'd have your trusted mechanic do the work, There is a much better chance it'll be done right.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
What engine do you have in the MKX, is it a turbo? If it's the 2.0 EB it might be easier to drain and fill vs the 3.5 EB or 3.5. I have the 2.3 EB and it's a snap to do, easy access to the fill plug, nothing in the way and the exhaust is not up against the PTU. AND I have a drain plug on mine
grin2.gif
. The Ford dealer charged me $110, labor and Motorcraft 75W-140 gear oil, just to do the PTU. I had my mechanic change it a second time he charged me $30 labor, I supplied the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140, ~$15. With yours, having to suction out the old oil, a slow and tedious process, I'd be real leery about having a quick change lube place do it as it's time consuming to do it properly. The rear diff has to have the old gear oil suctioned out of it's fill hole also. My mechanic did that also and it took a lot of time to suction the majority of gear oil out. He charged me $80 for labor. I was in the shop watching while he did both services. It's tedious and slow going if you are trying to get any decent amount of oil suctioned out. I'd have your trusted mechanic do the work, There is a much better chance it'll be done right.

Whimsey

I have the standard 3.5. The gill plug is accessible but it takes some effort to fit ones hand and a 3/8 socket driver up there. The Ford Lincoln dealer near me had no knowledge of servicing the PTU short of removing it. You've convinced me that my regular guy is the way to go. He's slow but does things correctly and is reasonable.

You would not get a socket wrench on my 2015 ES … not even a stub Allen would clear … probably could of had an exhaust guy build a spool to take out and Maalox the nuts … there was too much factory exhaust to remove every 30k that I think the 15 ounce drained can hold up for …

I have a 2010 Flex with the same setup. I would not recommend doing this at a Quick Lube place because the technicians are not ASE Certified mechanics. Second, they will want to use Valvoline gear oil which is not my preference. I have used the Ford 75-140 full synthetic 75-140, the Amsoil 75w-140 and Mobil 1 75W-140. I've done best with the Mobil 1 and that is what I recommend. Bring it to your shop where they have a Mity Vac suction tool (or similar) to suck out the fluid and refill with fresh. Ford at one point issued an updated procedure that included rotating the wheels while the car was on the lift and the transmission in neutral to spin the gears, mix the lube and help clean out the PTU. You could have your mechanic do a suction, fill, wheel spin step, suction and fill again with top off. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back