Ford is changing the FL-820S

Status
Not open for further replies.
the height is being lowered from 4.04" to 3.72".

just got the listing at work, not sure how long until it hits dealers and stores. they are lowering the overall height to assist in installation and removal.

Riiiiiight. Assist in installation and removal... Or to save $$$.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
Riiiiiight. Assist in installation and removal... Or to save $$$.

Do you own a 4.6L Ford product? I say good for them as there is not much room to get your hand on the current filter. Every little bit will help. I don't know about saving $$$ but it will sure save my knuckles.

Last edited:
On my 96 Crown Vic I could actually fit a 2" longer filter in there with no problems. Other models seem to have much tighter clearances, though.

^ Making the filter "shorter height" will do nothing for me in terms of removing on my 4.6 and 3.0. It will actually make it more difficult. Making it smaller in diameter would make a difference.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Good thing I have 3 left.

i have about 18 at home, and 600 or so at work, so im good for a while. Mazda hasnt changed their version of it yet, i have a lot of those in stock as well.

I've noticed that theres a bunch of oil filter part #'s made by Purolator that are getting shorter in length, this also includes its low cost filters like Proline.

So I should go buy a few of these before they get short then?
wink.gif

Does anyone know if the Purolator PureONE PL24651 is constructed the same as the FL-820S? If it's the same construction, but with the PureONE media, I think that may be what I switch to.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
^ Making the filter "shorter height" will do nothing for me in terms of removing on my 4.6 and 3.0. It will actually make it more difficult. Making it smaller in diameter would make a difference.
+1 For an 05 Explorer 4.6L it will actually make it more difficult. Filter fits up front in a half tunnel arrangement. Hate they are shortening it but especially in Ford apps, the base bypass, quality construction and value price, it's tough to beat.

It will make the correct filter wrench cap a must. 93mm, 36flute Oil filter cap. .

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Or buy a different brand.

There is nothing else of its quality in its price range.

That would be helpful. In the 94-97 ford tbirds/cougars with the 4.6L sohc motor it was VERY tight to get the filter in there.

I had a 98 f150 with the 4.6, that was a straight up and down affair, doesn't matter.

I bet there are some other 4.6L applications that use this filter, which could use a smaller filter.

Still a great filter..

I think they are being made shorter for the Duratec apps. I tried to change oil on a newer Escape the other day.
By the time I got done certain certain people are very lucky I live in Washinton and not Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back