Ford is changing the FL-820S

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some applications where this shorter filter would be a help.

Way back when, I bought a 1995 F-150 4x4 with the 5.8L (351) engine. I got all the heavy duty stuff, including upgraded cooling package. That option included a coolant-to-oil cooler adaptor sandwiched between the block and filter. The trucks without that package had no filter clearance issues, but those with the adaptor used the (then) "new" FL-820S because a longer fitler would simply not fit. And is was still a tight fit with the FL-820S!

Today, a shorter filter would help a bit more in that application, but it probably is a hinderance in others. The good thing is that there are so many good options from the aftermarket, that if you don't like one product, just move on to another.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I think they are being made shorter for the Duratec apps. I tried to change oil on a newer Escape the other day.
By the time I got done certain certain people are very lucky I live in Washinton and not Michigan.

^ So true! It's a major pain to remove the filter on both my vehicles now. It took roughly an hour, 1 trip to AAP, and a crushed/cracked/leaking filter by the time I got the factory filter off my 3.0 Mariner. On the Sport Trac (4.6 Explorer), I just left the factory one on -- for the dealer to remove during my initial freebie (I tried, but didn't want to crush it).

I'm with you on that one. I hated dealing with the filter on my 2.5 because of the tight fit so much I just added a remote filter to put it some place I can get a grip on it while not dripping oil everywhere.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: 04SE
Riiiiiight. Assist in installation and removal... Or to save $$$.

Do you own a 4.6L Ford product? I say good for them as there is not much room to get your hand on the current filter. Every little bit will help. I don't know about saving $$$ but it will sure save my knuckles.

Johnny,
When you change the filter, just before you stop the engine turn the stearing wheel a little to the left. This changes the opening around the stearing linkage just enough to easily remove the filter.

Wonder why they didn't just make an FL800 or something instead of shortening the FL820?
54.gif

Quote:
Making the filter "shorter height" will do nothing for me in terms of removing on my 4.6 and 3.0. It will actually make it more difficult.

Yep, my 5.4 could use a longer one, too. Would actually make it a bit easier to get to. I got so tired of my arm looking like I stuck it in a bobcat's cage every time I changed the oil/filter, that I take it to the dealer and let him fight with it.
frown.gif

Why did Ford switch to the metric filter in the first place? Would have made more sense to use the smaller ph16 filter on the cars that need a smaller filter.

They were already tooled up for the 3/4x16 filters but they decided to retool and switch to a completly different filter.

IMO would have made more sense to call up their filter manufacturer and order the smaller filter that would fit on the engine parts they were using.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Do you own a 4.6L Ford product? I say good for them as there is not much room to get your hand on the current filter. Every little bit will help. I don't know about saving $$$ but it will sure save my knuckles.

Johnny,
When you change the filter, just before you stop the engine turn the stearing wheel a little to the left. This changes the opening around the stearing linkage just enough to easily remove the filter.

Does not work on 2003+ Crown Vic/Marquis/Town car. The front suspension and frame was completely redesigned and now uses a rack and pinion steering setup.
11.gif

And that surprises you?

I recently had a dealer tell me I had a "nice Crown Vic"...problem is it's a Mercury Marauder...I would have forgiven him except that this was at a MERCURY DEALER...the same one I BOUGHT the car from.

Quote:
I recently had a dealer tell me I had a "nice Crown Vic"...problem is it's a Mercury Marauder...I would have forgiven him except that this was at a MERCURY DEALER...the same one I BOUGHT the car from.
crackmeup2.gif
Anyway, even if they shorten it some, the FL-802S is a good filter.

Ditto...97 CV is no walk in the park. I'm not sure if the knuckles or oil splatter due to not being able to remove it quickly annoys me more. I rotate between these and Wix, and as long as quality isn't affected I applaud this.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
And that surprises you?

No surprise -- I always know more than the salemen about the cars I buy. The only thing some of them know how to do is "re-program the keyless entry pad" -- which I would have to read the manual for:).

Well, it's not a rumour anymore...the new shorter version is already here.

I checked at a nearby Wally's on the way home yesterday and the new version was all they had on the shelf...about 20 of them. The box has a yellow/gold symbol on it with the words "New Size- Same Performance". The filter itself looks the same, or at least the baseplate does. Same oval Purolator-style holes, silicone ADBV, base-end bypass, etc. The only difference I could determine without having an older one to compare to, was that the printing is different. Instead of the large word "Motorcraft". it has a smaller version of the rectangular Motorcraft logo. The good news is that it still says "Made in USA"...
grin2.gif

Just installed one on the explorer today, and noticed that it was wider and shorter, that is why I'm here. I wanted to see what was going on with that filter..........

Would seem to make little sense to do this only as for cost cutting. If they raised the price 10% most would probably still buy them, and they would still be better and cheaper than a fram.

This may help in my awful MarkVIII filter location. I have unscrew it, turn at a 180 degree angle and wedge between a couple of hoses. I've gotten the hang of it actually, but maybe this will make the job a little bit easier?

I saw them in WalMart today. They had a mix of the old and new 820S'so I bought the rest of the old stock for my Bronco. The short ones look fine and would probably be easier for me to put on the Bronco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back