Ford Gold, ELC, Dexcool? Ford 6.0 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrh

So I recently bought a Ford 2006 F250 6.0 Diesel. Before I bought it, there was a lot of work done at the dealer (oil cooler, HPOP). The truck also had the EGR deleted previously. The dealer changed the coolant. But instead of putting in spec'd ford gold, they put in ford orange (V3CB), it's on the receipt. According to Ford's documentation, Ford Orange is spec'd for 2011+ (6.7L PSD) trucks, and is NOT supposed to be backwards-compatible. This is from ford:
Ford Orange: Use only when specified. Do not use this product in systems originally equipped with any green-colored, conventional engine coolant such as Motorcraft® Premium Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Specification ESE-M97B44-A, or with the yellow-colored, longer-life Motorcraft® Premium Gold Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51-A1, or with the dark green-colored Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B55-A

Reading on powerstroke.org forums, there seems to be a lot of concern with the normal factory ford gold fill due to silicates dropping out of solution and possibly plugging up the oil cooler. I don't have any true basis of how true that is but it seems repeated a lot. From what I have found, Ford Gold is a HOAT that doesn't use 2-EHA, but other organic acids. It does have low nitrites and low silicates, but no phosphate.

What I have seen written is that Navistar, who built the motor, originally spec'd Cat EC-1 coolant. This, as far as I can tell, is an ELC coolant, and I believe technically a "NOAT." It has 2-EHA along with nitrite. No nitrate, silicate, phosphate.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now, the Ford Orange that I have in currently, is a full OAT. It also uses 2-EHA, but has no nitrite, nitrate, silicate, phosphate.
[Linked Image]

So, I would like to get some thoughts as to continuing to run Ford Orange in my 6.0 powerstroke. To me, it seems like the ford orange and ELC is basically the same except that it doesn't have nitrite in it. Nitrite is supposed to prevent damage during cavitation because it will line cylinders fast. Organic acids are also supposed to line cylinders and protect against cavitation but what I have read is that it does not do this quickly. LINK

Originally Posted by CT8
Coolants are confusing https://www.peakhd.com/product_lines/final-charge/

That makes things even more confusing for me.

The specs for both the "OAT" https://www.peakhd.com/wp-content/u...ncentrate-Red_Spec-Sheet_2018.pdf?x38462

and the "NOAT" https://www.peakhd.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/PEAK_Final_Charge_NOAT_SpecSheet_1218.pdf?x38462

are BOTH Cat EC-1 rated, despite one having nitrite and the other not.

I thought I had an inkling of understanding but now I really don't! yikes...

Shell Ultra ELC.
Dump that orange, rinse thoroughly, refill.
When switching from the problematic Gold, a Fleetguard Restore treatment is in order.
I inserted a temporary Tee in the heater hose in mine to make sure I had all the old coolant out. Then distilled rinses, then 60/40 Ultra ELC.
While you are at it, the thermostats in the 6.0 are known for sticking open causing too cool running for efficiency.

Originally Posted by beanoil
Shell Ultra ELC.

I'm pretty sure this should meet the specification. I do recall some differentiation between the first 7.3 L Powerstroke and the second year in some of the forum recommendations, even though the specification technically never changed. As mentioned, yes, confusing!

It is starting to seem to me like CAT EC-1 rating is somewhat broad - CAT ELC above does have 2-EH, Peak final charge is EC-1 rated but DOESN'T use 2-EH, formulations both with and without nitrite are also EC-1 rated.

I haven't found anything yet about what defines the EC-1 rating exactly.

If I ever owned a Ford 6.0/Navistar VT365, I'm using a modern ELC that meets not only CAT EC-1 but also Cummins and Navistar specs. Either Rotella Ultra, Final Charge or the like.

That engine needs all the help it can get.

Ok so I am in the same boat as the OP, not trying to hijack the thread since the answer to my question could help them also. I have an 05 psd which just recently had the oil and egr cooler replaced. I would like to know if one of these products would suffice: AMSOIL Passenger light truck antifreeze and coolant, or their "low" toxicity coolant. "Long service life" aside, since I will not take the risk of extended use in my truck. Just wondering about anyone's thoughts on these products. Thank in advance

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
I would go for Zerex G-05

On the 6.0 specifically this causes lots of issues even though it was factory fill. a lot of owners change out to a Cat EC-1 type coolant since that was used on the engine in non Ford applications with much less issues.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Oh, i did not know that.
I thought for older Powerstrokes it was G-05 or bust.

So I have heard of people using it in the 7.3 diesel. It came as factory fill on the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels however the working theory is the silicate fallout would clog the coil cooler which would then cause the EGR cooler to leak. People would add a coolant filter and switch to an EC-1 type coolant to try to prevent this. The 6.7L diesels come with orange, now after a certain build date yellow coolant which is not to be confused with the gold G-05.

Knowing all the issues with a 6.0, I still want one. They can be made reliable and I have worked on enough and obviously have the parts access that I don't mind taking on the challenge.

I drove an 04 f550 6.0 dump body for many years.
Repairs: 6? injectors, new turbo, new tranny, new egr cooler, new fuel tank (delaminated inside), broken axle, turbo down pipe, turbo hose kept blowing off, new radiator (tons of bubbling tiny cracks in top plastic), more I'm sure forgetting.
It was a work truck and it worked hard. After all the early on repairs it ran flawlessly for years. Loud and strong engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back