Ford Fusion

Found this 2007 Fusion at a wholesale lot. What should I look for when I go to check it out? I mean, I can check fluids for color, jack each corner and feel for wobble, attempt to get underneath and look for rust. But problem areas? From what I understand, it seems like this 2.3/5AT is reasonably good? The only thing I don't like are the alloys, and the headlights look really hazy.

is it worth running a carfax? I'm not sure it'll tell me much--not all accidents get reported, not all repairs are shoddily done.

1672589927836.jpg

Carfax will give you some insight with its maintenance history. Usually when a police report is made with an accident, it likely will appear on a Carfax report. Transmissions seemed to be the problem spot with Fusions.

Looks like the fascia and hood are different colors. Or maybe the rest of the car is. Like said, not that this matters for a ~$3K Fusion.

I believe a 2.5L ~2006-2012 are the ones you'd want. If it's not rusted to bits and it runs and drives, she's a winner.

I believe a 2.5L ~2006-2012 are the ones you'd want. If it's not rusted to bits and it runs and drives, she's a winner.
There shouldn't be anything wrong with the 2.5L in the 2013+ , the engine should be the same and the transmission pretty much is the same just it's a little harder service without the dipstick.

Post the VIN and you will likely get some great data in return.
3FAHP07Z17R148483

Even if the car was in an accident, as long as it was fixed correctly, who cares. It's not like you're buying a WRX.
My thoughts. My concern is, I'm buying for my daughter, who's a teen driver. I have high confidence in her becoming a good driver, but... teen drivers are teen drivers. I'm after "safe" cannon fodder for her. If I can get several years out of it, all the better.

What would be nice to find, but I don't think it's worth paying extra for, is adjustable pedals. I literally could not climb into my wife's car after my daughter adjusted everything so she could drive...

I would bring a good flashlight and look at the bottom of the oil pan to see if it has a rear main seal leak. I hate to buy leaky vehicles. Take it for a spin and make sure it shifts smoothly. Listen for any weird noises like power steering noise or alternator noise. I’m willing to replace an alternator in return for a discount if the rest of the car is good. Also, I don't tolerate rust. It’s a deal breaker.

Also, I don't tolerate rust. It’s a deal breaker.
Last used car I bought, I almost bought on the spot--I had immediately rolled under it, and when I looked up I said "this isn't from around here, is it?" She admitted that it came up from Arizona a couple years prior.

I almost didn't test drive it, it was that clean. Six years later I still get compliments when it goes into the garage for inspection!

The 2.3L was backed by a 4 spd auto, not a 5 spd. In 2010 it went to the 6spd (and 2010 and 2011 they had a few issues with the "new" 6spd, which were sorted out be 2012).

Generally the 2.3L with 4A/T is gonna be a tad slow by today's standards, but overall a fairly reliable package. If the car is solid and decent shape, would be a good DD.

They have a solid drain train Just ask tig1. The body looks to be really good , My advice to you would be take it for a good test drive , get underneath for a closer look and if that checks out have your garage give it a once over !

They have a solid drain train Just ask tig1. The body looks to be really good , My advice to you would be take it for a good test drive , get underneath for a closer look and if that checks out have your garage give it a once over !
Too far to take to my garage, that’s a good hour of driving. I like the idea, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t know if they’d let take it for a day trip.

My garage would get it afterwards for an obligatory sticker and probably new tires.

If you are like me hate rust and leakers !
Trust your judgement you know what you're looking for .

Last edited:
It was recently serviced at Ford dealers in Cranston, RI and East Greenwich, RI
Check front and rear subframes for rust, same with rockers
Your prospect is a Gen 1, with the 2.3 Duratec, and the Mazda derived FNR5 5AT
If it's not too rusty and worn, it'll make a decent first car
MY07 has side airbags standard, good for safety 🦺
It will need this that and the other thing, but parts are fairly cheap and they seem easy enough to work on
If it hasn't had a throttle body and a purge valve, set aside a $100 bill for those, easy to swap

I've got two Gen 1.5, a 2010 Milan and a 2010 Fusion

Back