Ford Freestyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the new ford. Supposed to be a cross between an SUV and a car (I guess like a subaru)

I'd like to see one in person. We need something bigger than our Jetta becuase of the 2 dogs and our daughter is getting older. But I don't want another gas guzzler like an SUV/Truck. I've seen the subaru's and they seem too small in the back. I'll be interested to see how this new ford turns out.

I also think this is supposed to compete with the Chrysler Pacifica, which I also like.

I would be careful with the Pacifica. I was talking to a case manager at work. A friend bought a Pacifica, and the transmission went out in 1,000 miles!
thumbsdown.gif
Be careful.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Not the Autorx Frank:

I'd spring for a volvo station wagon......

I'd suspect that there would be a wee bit of a price difference
rolleyes.gif
. Though I have to admit I'm leary of 1st year models. And even more so if it has the totally new continuous variable tranny(?). The V-6 Duratec has been around for a number of years so the bugs should be worked out hopefully. Perhaps you should look at the Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute. They are small "personal" SUV's that have the same Duratec engine but have been on the market for a number of years so their "bugs" should be "cured" by now
grin.gif
. Though they may be a little bit more "truck like" than the Freestyle. Of course you can get a 2 year old well maintained Explorer. The money you save from depreciation will more than cover the couple mile per gallon difference. As long as you get the 4.0L V-6 Explorer. My wife has a 2002 Explorer and she gets about 17 mpg doing commuting in Northern NJ with the crappy oxygenated gas we have and bumper to bumper traffic. On longer drives she gets around 20-22 mpg.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by MONKEYMAN:
I would be careful with the Pacifica. I was talking to a case manager at work. A friend bought a Pacifica, and the transmission went out in 1,000 miles!
thumbsdown.gif
Be careful.
smile.gif

Yeah but maybe that tranny was going to be a lemon anyways because it was assembled on a Monday morning hangover or Friday afternoon, after 20oz liquid lunches?!

Isn't this new type of vehicle amazing? Three rows of seats. Low to the ground like a car, but with a raised roof.

It's such a great idea, I can't believe they haven't thought of this before.

Cough

-T

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Yeah...they call them "station wagons".
tongue.gif

I realize this.

Europe has had "modern" station wagons for decades now. Volvo, Audi, VW, BMW(sport wagons are awesome) MB etc...

I have always said that the US is at least 10 years behind europe regarding cars in general.

I have had my eye on the volvo XC for a couple of years. But I have been a Ford Guy forever. I realize they are probably built cheaper than the Volvo, but that is okay, I still like fords.

Now if they would just make it with a Turbo Diesel engine, I would be set.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Isn't this new type of vehicle amazing? Three rows of seats. Low to the ground like a car, but with a raised roof.

It's such a great idea, I can't believe they haven't thought of this before.

Cough

-T

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I wouldn't say they are built cheaper. The new Fords share the same platform as the Volvos. They are sharing to save money. It was stated in the article I read that it is rare for a company to use an upscale platform on lower models. The motor is nice but probably a little underpowered compared to others. I have a Mazda MPV w/3.0l duratec V6 (200hp) and a 5 spd auto. It runs great though. I wish I could remember where I read the report on the shared platform. Maybe Edmunds or Car & Driver.

I'm going to vouch for the Pacifica. We own one. The bugs are all gone. We have an early build date (not super early but early enough)... late 03. It has had absolutely no problems. I repeat, no problems. Our Ford Windstar was in the shop about 6 or 7 times in the first 3 months.

Well.... I take that back... there's a problem with the radio but there is a TSB to fix it but it only effects early early Pacificas like outs.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
I have had my eye on the volvo XC for a couple of years. But I have been a Ford Guy forever. I realize they are probably built cheaper than the Volvo, but that is okay, I still like fords.

Now if they would just make it with a Turbo Diesel engine, I would be set.

My parents hated the XC90. It just drove weird, so they said. That and the salemen wasn't very helpful or nice. He called them back asking about their interest in the XC90 and my dad told him that we bought a Pacifica. The salesman's reponse - "Well, just remember, Volvos aren't for everyone."

A few years ago I was sorting out similar attributes, as I wanted three row seating, room to carry stuff, room for a larger dog, durability, decent mileage, and low cost for the solution. I didn't require AWD/4WD as our Civic and Taurus has done fine with the right tires on snow and ice. I initially looked at station wagons but they were kind of expensive and there wasn't much room left if all the seats were filled. SUVs were even more expensive, they tended to have poor mileage, and didn't have the durability for the cost. I ended up with a Dodge crew cab diesel pickup, since it was a pickup I got 4WD, for less than $26k. I looked online in several states before finding it.

It's kind of a 'hillbilly SUV' as I put on a canopy, added a couple seats with belts in the bed, and alsways carry a CO detector. I get 0 to 2mpg less in town than either Taurus sedan, although I get 4 to 8 mpg less than either on the highway we were taking both cars on trips so I get better than the combined mileage. We've had 7 on long trips with camping gear for 7, and although it was full it was still comfortable for everyone. Grandma probably wouldn't like sitting in the back though. It's also much more comfortable than either sedan, in spite of being a 3/4 ton 4WD quad cab truck. I guess it's the space, like business/1st class on a plane, that makes it more comfortable. I expect it to be the last larger vehicle that we ever buy, as it should last almost 30 years with the miles that we typically put on vehicles.

I saw the new Ford Freestyle yesterday. I think it looks nice, but it is one more car in an already crowded field, thats my opinion. Moter Trend TV did a road test last week and they didn't seem to have any problem with it. This comes from a guy who helped his wife pick out a 04 Chevy Trailblazer which we both like alot, but only have 13,000 miles on it.

Went to the Ford dealer today to checkout the new models. Checked out the Freestyle...not bad, but for $30K, I can buy another Saturn Vue with a far more potent drivetrain and keep $5K in my pocket. Yawn.

I was impressed by the Ford 500. The base model SE has a CVT trans and most things a family car needs for $22K. It's only missing the sunroof option IMO. Easy in & out access, the steering wheel is perfectly placed, all seats are very comfy AND supportive, and the trunk is HUGE.

Anyone see the Mercury Mariner? It's a Ford Escape twin that looks a whole lot more attractive with the step rails and luggage rack. They did a good job wih this one IMO. But, alas, only a 4speed Auto. Why can't they put the 6 speed Auto from the 500 in this model?

And why is the 3.0L Duratech motor seemingly in EVERY Ford that's sold nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back