Ford Freestar Foglamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got a 2004 Ford Freestar that is new to me. I can't figure out how the fog lamps come on. I have checked owner manual and nothing. Looked for a switch and no switch. I would assume they should come on when the headlights are turned on, but they don't. Do I need to check the bulbs and fuse or is there a trick to get them to come on?

My wife and I had our newer gallant about 5-6 months before finding the fog light button. We had seen it... Even pushed it on several occasions. Yet just never at the right time. They will only work with low beams and I'd say we turned them on/off several times in the day and didn't notice them. We didn't have an owners manual as it was bought from an auction and for some reason that place takes the floor mats and everything out of the glove box. The car was a repo and had 23,000 on it. Why they had to throw out factory mats beats me but they do and did.

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
I have got a 2004 Ford Freestar that is new to me. I can't figure out how the fog lamps come on. I have checked owner manual and nothing. Looked for a switch and no switch. I would assume they should come on when the headlights are turned on, but they don't. Do I need to check the bulbs and fuse or is there a trick to get them to come on?

There is no listing of fog lamps for the Freestar. Are you sure you're not mistaking the cornering lights for fog lights? The cornering lights are on the front fascia, below the bumper and headlamps. Turn your lights on, activate the turn signal on one side, and I'll bet that the "fog lamp" on that side of the vehicle will light up...

BTW, they use a 3156K bulb, just in case.

go to the fifth page of above link and the middle photo on left hand side, those should be the cornering lamps. I don't have those.

For anyone who searches for this in the future - The fog lamps come on with the headlamps, there is no separate switch. It was a burnt bulb, when one is burnt both will not work. No listing in the catalog for this lamp, so if your bulb is burnt so bad you can't read the number, it is a 921 lamp.

I replaced both lamps and they now work. Thanks to those above who tried to help.

For 99% of late model Fords with foglamps they are turned on by pulling OUT on the headlamp switch. There is a small hard to see foglight light emblem that will light up on the switch bezel when they are on. With the headlights on try pushing in on the headlight switch and see if they go off. No Ford that I know of has foglights on all the time with headlamps.

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
For anyone who searches for this in the future - The fog lamps come on with the headlamps, there is no separate switch. It was a burnt bulb, when one is burnt both will not work. No listing in the catalog for this lamp, so if your bulb is burnt so bad you can't read the number, it is a 921 lamp.

I replaced both lamps and they now work. Thanks to those above who tried to help.

Strange, Ford only lists "Cornering lamps" (p/n: 3156K) or "Auxiliary parking lamps" (p/n: 912) in that location.

Hmm, I wonder what the lighting suppliers list for the vehicle...

Well, that does it, this is what OSRAM/Sylvania lists:
Parking light
3457ALL
3457AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
912LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Meanwhile, this is what Philips Automotive Lighting lists:
Parking Light
3457NALLB2, LongerLife Standard Replacement - Twin Blister Pack
3457NALLCP, LongerLife Standard Replacement - Multiple Commercial Pack
912B2, Standard Replacement - Twin Blister Pack
912CP, Standard Replacement - Multiple Commercial Pack

At least this explains why there is no separate switch to turn them on...

Correct the Freestar has the cornering lamps which hardly emit any forward light, its mostly side illumination and only come on when the headlights are activated, and the vehicle is in drive and the turn signal is on either L or R.

ON the Monterey version there was a real nice pair of Hella Fogs I believe the 90mm Hella Module which surprisingly works better then the fog lights.

My Mercury Monterey had a one off HID BiXenon units in the main beams but since the car is ready for sale they have been removed and I am thinking about selling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back