Dodge Pros
CTD is simple to work on
Better fuel milage
Lower purchase price
Awesome avalibility of manual trans trucks
No GPs
Better fuel system reliability

Cons:
Frighteningly poor build quality with 08-prior based on my experience compared to the Ford
Front hub/bearings are know to be very expensive and are prone to failure with a Ranch Hand bumper
Smaller back seat vs Ford
Weaker clutch system than the Ford
Dash boards that crack and gauge clusters that go nuts
Weaker front suspensions/steering components

Ford:
Pros:
Build quality
Suspension stoutness
Nicer interior
Stronger clutch
More back seat room

Cons:
Lack of avalibility of the 6spd
6.4 PSD reliability has me concerned
Radiators leak often
Higher purchase price
More sensitive fuel system
GPs

I'm about ready to just get the Dodge so I have all of my criteria. But past experiences scare me
How are the Dodges 09-12 as far as bodies go?
Experiences/thoughts?
Dusty

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I'm looking at getting a new(er) truck The requirements:
4 Wheel Drive
Diesel
Crew Cab
Dually
I REALLY REALLY want to stay with a manual trans
The Years I'm looking at are 08-10 -Ford or 09-12 Dodge
Dodge Pros
CTD is simple to work on
Better fuel milage
Lower purchase price
Awesome avalibility of manual trans trucks
No GPs
Better fuel system reliability

Cons:
Frighteningly poor build quality with 08-prior based on my experience compared to the Ford
Front hub/bearings are know to be very expensive and are prone to failure with a Ranch Hand bumper
Smaller back seat vs Ford
Weaker clutch system than the Ford
Dash boards that crack and gauge clusters that go nuts
Weaker front suspensions/steering components

Ford:
Pros:
Build quality
Suspension stoutness
Nicer interior
Stronger clutch
More back seat room

Cons:
Lack of avalibility of the 6spd
6.4 PSD reliability has me concerned
Radiators leak often
Higher purchase price
More sensitive fuel system
GPs

I'm about ready to just get the Dodge so I have all of my criteria. But past experiences scare me
How are the Dodges 09-12 as far as bodies go?
Experiences/thoughts?
Dusty

so I'm guessing you actually need a diesel truck? Personally I would probably by the Cummins but after learning so much about how much diesels cost to fix and maintain I would be afraid to buy any. example a waterpump on a Duramax is about an 8 hour job which is crazy

The WP on a Cummins is a 15 minute job..DMAX can be a pain to work on as a 6.4 psd is.
Yes, when I pull, I pull HEAVY I grossed over 40k pounds last time I took my truck out. I like the Cummins' simplicity.. the rest of the truck has me worried. I like the Ford truck...the 6.4 has me worried
Running around...that is what the Zx2 is for.

Last edited:
The WP on a Cummins is a 15 minute job..DMAX can be a pain to work on as a 6.4 psd is.
Yes, when I pull, I pull HEAVY I grossed over 40k pounds last time I took my truck out. I like the Cummins' simplicity.. the rest of the truck has me worried. I like the Ford truck...the 6.4 has me worried

Ford no longer uses the 6.4 PSD. As of 2011, they switched to their new 6.7 PSD. This was a completely new engine for 2011, designed and built by Ford, where the previous PSDs were International engines.

Honestly, towing that heavy you really need something bigger than a pickup.

Ford diesels engines are enough to turn me off. From 2003 forward they are huge issues one way or another. They also go through front bearings and hubs. Ball joints and front end parts are no better then the Dodge either. More Dodge pulling EVERYTHING out there then Ford or Duramax. Hands down. Got to be a reason. .

You don't want a 6.0 or 6.4 Ford-there are so many expensive & hard to replace parts to go wrong, such as EGR cooler, injectors, head gaskets & head bolts. I haven't had a Duramax, but the 2 Dodges I've owned ('02 & '06) were both great trucks, other than the usual minor annoying Dodge body flaws (leaks, early rust on the '02). Now if they just had the frame of an F-450...

Dodge w/ Cummins : Horrible quality truck wrapped around a good engine.
Ford w/ 6.0 or 6.4: Good quality truck, poor engine.

The 6.0s and 6.4s were reliable in medium duty internationals. Can you get rid of the emissions stuff?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Dodge w/ Cummins : Horrible quality truck wrapped around a good engine.
Ford w/ 6.0 or 6.4: Good quality truck, poor engine.

The 6.0s and 6.4s were reliable in medium duty internationals. Can you get rid of the emissions stuff?

So it seems that a Cummins swap into a Ford truck would be a match made in heaven. I have seen some of these.

I could do egr and dpf deletes to either.
Is that enough to make the 6.4 reliable?
I guess I could get a Ford and do a Cummins swap if the 6.4 goes bad

Reread my OP I'm looking at 08-10 for Ford. I don't want to spend more than $35k for the truck. The new Fords are $57k+- with discounts..no thanks I don't think the truck is built THAT well... wiring, computer, dash HVAC controls I DOUBT I would get 700k miles out of the truck 98% trouble free...I got 331k miles out of the 99 PSD I had and everything was factory exept batteries, belts, hoses, fluids, filters and ball joints. The clutch, AC, Alt, starter, water pump, radiator HPOP,axles, T-case and ZF 6 were ALL factory minus the 70cc injectors that I installed at 15k miles for power...even they were fine at 331k miles

I have a 6.0 and it has been great but has aged..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Ford no longer uses the 6.4 PSD. As of 2011, they switched to their new 6.7 PSD. This was a completely new engine for 2011, designed and built by Ford, where the previous PSDs were International engines.

6.4 was being used in the years he stated in his original post for the Ford.
However the

Originally Posted By: mcrn

6.4 was being used in the years he stated in his original post for the Ford.
However the

I guess I was half asleep...I missed the 08-10 part, I thought we were talking new trucks.
33.gif

Honestly...I would not own any diesel built after 2007. The potential for mega-dollat repairs is just too high. I would either get a used medium-duty or look into a V10 F450 of 550.

if the dash cracks on a dodge, then spend the $300 to get a new dash. i dont see why that would scare someone blowing 20-30k and worry about that when injectors and turbos are far above that price when it comes to replace them.

on that note, dodge all the way.

OK...I'm starting to look at Dodges. Any known areas of concern? I know the clutches have extremely weak pressure plate and it would more than likely need a good clutch in a short time.

I noticed several with 3.42 gears...seems really high. I would think low on the dodge= 1st gear on my old ranger. I would probably add a 2wd low buy having a switch that cuts the vacuum to the front collar. the 2wd low will give me better low speed capabilities.
How well would 3.42 gears pull? I know I can just run in 5th instead of OD. What kind of milage should it get?
Again, I'm looking at 3500 Dually 4x4 crew/mega cab 6spd manual trucks.
Dusty

Last edited:
Honestly, I think you need to be looking at something bigger than a one ton. Grossing 40K, you're WAY over the ratings for any one ton truck out there. Sounds like what you have there is a job for a medium duty truck. I'd say at MINIMUM you need a class 5 truck (F-550, Chevy 5500 or Ram 5500) and preferably a class 6 truck. (F-650, Chevy 6500, International 4300, Freightliner, Sterling, etc)

Honestly, I think you need to be looking at something bigger than a one ton. Grossing 40K, you're WAY over the ratings for any one ton truck out there. Sounds like what you have there is a job for a medium duty truck. I'd say at MINIMUM you need a class 5 truck (F-550, Chevy 5500 or Ram 5500) and preferably a class 6 truck. (F-650, Chevy 6500, International 4300, Freightliner, Sterling, etc)

Yeah but those trucks also are much more expensive. I do agree he needs a bigger truck. I'd say a F-650 with the CAT diesel.
smile.gif
There is a guy in town that has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back