Ford F150 DI carbon build up question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm loving my new 2017 F150 2.7TT. Seems carbon build up is a real issue with this engine per some videos from a Ford Technician on youtube. Just wondering what I can do to keep that engine as clean as possible on the inside. My first oil change was to mobil 1 synthetic but I'm wondering if a different oil would be best for the DI engine. Also 75% of my miles are traveling long distances to work (500-600 miles), wouldn't the full fuel tank runs at interstate speeds help keep carbon at a minimum? Also I already run 93 octane. Thanks.

A PCV catch-can might help keep oil vapors from going back into the intake system and depositing on the intake valves. Do some digging around on F-150 chat boards to see if anyone can show a catch-can has helped or not.

Many like to concentrate on NOACK, but I'm not buying that as I feel oil seeping past the valve stem seals is a large contributor of this. . I've recently heard the quality of the viscosity index improver matters. Something with less viscosity index improvers like 10W30 should work fine in Florida for long drives. Something with lower ash to boot would be great, too.

Does Ford recommend premium gas? If not, then that isn't helping (and may actually hurt).
I'd run Top Tier gas as well if it's convenient for you and affordable.
Other than that, I'd run full synthetic oil and rest easy knowing your driving conditions are as easy as they get.

Octane will do nothing for the deposits. It's really not required, even with towing. In my tests with the previous Ecoboost 3.5 and towing our 9.5k lb camper, premium did give a little better MPG (no performance gain I could tell) but it was not worth the 20% extra cost. In general they will run great on a steady diet of the cheapest gas you can find.

Nor will a catch can. They will "look" nasty but it will have little to no impact on performance. I've got 2 of the Ecoboost 3.5's, one with 120k and the other with 84k and no noticeable change in performance or MPG with either. Neither has been cleaned or anything like that.

IMHO as much as I respect that Ford tech, I think he's mistaken on the deposit "issue".

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Many like to concentrate on NOACK, but I'm not buying that as I feel oil seeping past the valve stem seals is a large contributor of this. . I've recently heard the quality of the viscosity index improver matters. Something with less viscosity index improvers like 10W30 should work fine in Florida for long drives. Something with lower ash to boot would be great, too.

Couple of questions for you. How would we know the quality of the VIIs and is % ash or whatever tested? NOACK is something to be aware of when picking oil for GDI engines don't you think? Lower sure can't hurt.

I don't see an ash measurement in the PQIA tests.

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Hey guys I'm loving my new 2017 F150 2.7TT. Seems carbon build up is a real issue with this engine..

I believe your engine has both direct injection and port injection, to prevent intake valve deposits?

Or is that only true starting in 2018?

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/features/Power/

Last edited:
I have never seen any driveability issues from an EcoBoost F150 due to carbon buildup. I have worked off and on as a Ford Technician since before the engine came out. Now I’ve moved to the desk so I see pretty well all the concerns that vehicles are brought in for.

My brother in law is a tech at a different dealership and says to his knowledge they’ve never had an issue either. I actually mentioned this to that particular YouTube Technician in a forum. His response was that we must have better quality of fuel in Missouri.

If he reads this thread I’d be curious to know if Bdcardinal knows of any of these issues coming through the dealership he works in.

Top tier fuel and synthetic oil are musts IMO. Ecoboosts seem to like Castrol Magnatec.

Your highway miles are certainly helping, but I would also give her some occasional wide open throttles too.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Couple of questions for you. How would we know the quality of the VIIs and is % ash or whatever tested? NOACK is something to be aware of when picking oil for GDI engines don't you think? Lower sure can't hurt.

I think oil gets onto the valves by seeping past the valve stem seals. Typically not noticeable on older fuel system designs as the fuel did a good job washing away the oil. NOACK? What does it have to do once oil is already in the combustion chamber? It'd seem you'd actually want it to burn off completely.
Ash is waaaay more of a concern than NOACK. While people are amazed at catch cans collecting oil, I've seen examples where they didn't do a thing to prevent intake valve deposits on GDI engines.

I hope I'm off the mark on some of my comments.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I have never seen any driveability issues from an EcoBoost F150 due to carbon buildup. I have worked off and on as a Ford Technician since before the engine came out. Now I’ve moved to the desk so I see pretty well all the concerns that vehicles are brought in for.

My brother in law is a tech at a different dealership and says to his knowledge they’ve never had an issue either. I actually mentioned this to that particular YouTube Technician in a forum. His response was that we must have better quality of fuel in Missouri.

If he reads this thread I’d be curious to know if Bdcardinal knows of any of these issues coming through the dealership he works in.

I agree with you. My Impala has the 3.6 DI. I have put over 50,000 miles on it. I recently did a 3,000 mile round trip. I made the same trip 3 years and about 45,000 miles ago. The overall trip MPG was virtually the same (within .3 MPG) and the power felt the same as well. (The MPG was actually higher this time than last time).

On one of the Impala forums, they have had this discussion. There are several people with 75,000 - 100,000 miles on their engines who haven't had any trouble. There are however a couple of people who highly recommend a catch can. Funny thing is, one of them sells them at a substantial price.

I'm not saying there wasn't a problem with some engines to start with, but I think for MOST the kinks have been worked out. I am so happy with mine, I will most likely be buying another GM vehicle with the same engine in the next couple of months.

Here is what I am doing with my Ecoboost.
-Synthetic oil with reasonably low NOACK and sulfated ash.
-Also, a low TEOST number to minimize deposits on hot parts such as the turbocharger.
I am going with Valvoline to start, but I am still looking at specs on other oils.
-Top tier fuel only. I have been using 87 octane beacuse that what the manual recommends. I know it's a high compression turbo, but it runs fine on 87.
-I am considering using this CRC intake valve cleaner at some yet undetermined intervals
http://www.crcindustries.com/products/gdi-ivd-174-intake-valve-cleaner-11-wt-oz-05319.html
This is not necessarily approved by Ford, and they may not want to warranty the turbocharger after it is used. However, I am considering it.

I thought about a catch can, but the factory PCV system looks to be adequate. Time will tell. It only has 1923 miles on it so far.

I have almost 50k miles on my 2016 2.7 f150 no problems to report aside from a bad crankcase pressure sensor covered under warranty.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

I think oil gets onto the valves by seeping past the valve stem seals. Typically not noticeable on older fuel system designs as the fuel did a good job washing away the oil. NOACK? What does it have to do once oil is already in the combustion chamber? It'd seem you'd actually want it to burn off completely.
Ash is waaaay more of a concern than NOACK. While people are amazed at catch cans collecting oil, I've seen examples where they didn't do a thing to prevent intake valve deposits on GDI engines.

I hope I'm off the mark on some of my comments.

I was asking you since you brought it up how would we know who uses higher quality VIIs and how do we know which oils are lower ash? I'm asking to learn something. NOACK is concerning the PCV gasses obviously and it's a no harm thing so why not lean toward quality oils with lower NOACK?

I'm hoping GM has it pretty well worked out in my '16 4.3 DI and I don't know for certain the possible source of carbon build-up but if something as easy as choosing a certain oil might help then heck yeah.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Does Ford recommend premium gas? If not, then that isn't helping (and may actually hurt).
I'd run Top Tier gas as well if it's convenient for you and affordable.
Other than that, I'd run full synthetic oil and rest easy knowing your driving conditions are as easy as they get.

The manual states a performance gain on high octane. Thats the only reason I run it.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Octane will do nothing for the deposits. It's really not required, even with towing. In my tests with the previous Ecoboost 3.5 and towing our 9.5k lb camper, premium did give a little better MPG (no performance gain I could tell) but it was not worth the 20% extra cost. In general they will run great on a steady diet of the cheapest gas you can find.

Nor will a catch can. They will "look" nasty but it will have little to no impact on performance. I've got 2 of the Ecoboost 3.5's, one with 120k and the other with 84k and no noticeable change in performance or MPG with either. Neither has been cleaned or anything like that.

IMHO as much as I respect that Ford tech, I think he's mistaken on the deposit "issue".

How do you like towing with the 3.5TT? I've got its little brother rated at 8,100 pounds towing, looking at a 4700 pound travel trailer right now. It will be just shy of 6,000 pounds with gear and people. I wanted to try to stay well below my max to hopefully not stress out the turbos.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Your highway miles are certainly helping, but I would also give her some occasional wide open throttles too.

It gets its fair share. Absolutely destroys the GM 5.3 and convincingly but close beat a 24 valve cummins dodge. Ran my buddies chevy with the camaro engine(6.2 or 6.7?), i didn't know we were racing, so he got the jump on me, but when I hit it he didn't pull away. I still think my streak will end when we run them official, but its alot closer than I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Hey guys I'm loving my new 2017 F150 2.7TT. Seems carbon build up is a real issue with this engine..

I believe your engine has both direct injection and port injection, to prevent intake valve deposits?

Or is that only true starting in 2018?

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/features/Power/
6 port injectors added in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back