Ford F-150 2012 Truck of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are nice trucks.I brought the kids to the new car show at the Tampa convention center and tried almost every vehicle that I liked and the new F-150's fit nicely ,namely the seats... really surprised me.I know its all a matter of preference and not objective to the quality of the truck but I have to say the GM's and The Dodge just didn't "feel right
" to me anyway.Not knocking, just noticing.

Unfortunately,getting an award doesnt always translate into increased sales.GM HD trucks were 2011 truck of the year,and Ford and Dodge made more inroads in that market.Renault/AMC Alliance was car of the year (1983?) and look what happened there. Makes great commercial material though.

I think criteria is new design. But congrats to Ford!

My mum's 2000 Toyota Tundra still has that same award sticker affixed to back window. Nice truck but it did spend 4 months at a dealership waiting for free frame replacement.

Amazingly the vehicle drives perfectly fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see I guess but M/T TOTY and COTY awards are meaningless, IMHO.

The automotive media's relevance just isn't there, and M/T is among the worst out there.

Well, I would be interested to know if this related to the EcoBoost engine. I'm sure it played a role. In my mind, the EcoBoost is a game-changer. Here at elevation, turbo engines are great. They don't loose power at elevation. A little better fuel economy, and loads of torque down low where it can be used.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
ford releasing 5.8 600 hp eco boost v/8 engine...in their mustang gt

No thats not correct. They're releasing a bored 5.4L which becomes a 5.8L with a supercharger thats gonna put down 650HP in the GT500. Not a 5.8L ecoboost in the gt.....

it is a 5.8 modular eco boost...ford told me today..your prob right about it being a 5.4 bored to 5.8..i didn't ask that..its going into the mustang gt

Noticed the MT article says the fuel mileage for the Eco and the 5.0 were virtually the same. A far cry from the advertised Eco mileage.

I have a 5.4L Super Crew F150 (2009) , at work I drive a 2011 F150 Super Crew Ecoboost. The difference in real world MPG is stunning. Especially when driving easy and setting the cruise control at the speed limit.

I can achieve 22MPG in the Ecoboost doing this. 16MPG in the 5.4.

In fact, the 5.4 is not capable of achieving good MPG no matter what speed I drive. Even a steady state speed of 45 (in the 5.4) won't match the Ecoboost's MPG at 60!

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Nice to see I guess but M/T TOTY and COTY awards are meaningless, IMHO.
The automotive media's relevance just isn't there, and M/T is among the worst out there.

The auto media have lost all their cred with the blatant bribery and favoritism shown based on who pays who how much.

IMO the MT award is one of the LEAST meaningful out there.

But I do think the new F150 is a really nice truck.

I agree.

I think the 3.7 engine in this truck is the one that should be getting all the attention. I'll wager it would be enough engine for about 70% of the F150 drivers out there, over 300hp and gets the best mpg. A lot less complicated to repair should a problem arise than the Ecoboost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back