ford explorer engine rattle and auto-rx

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran auto-rx in my ford explorer with 4.0l sohc engine for about 2,000 miles. Truck has 138,000 miles. Truck has just started the rinse cyle. During this time the truck developed a rattle only at warm idle. Rattle does not appear when cold or when reved above idle. Vehicle seem to run fine.

Could the auto-rx have dislodged enough gunk to temorarly block passages while cleaning?

I don't think ARX will block anything.
ARX keeps the gunk floating in the oil, untill trapped by the oil filter.

You could put on a new oilfilter, to see if the rattle goes away.

Originally Posted By: jonny-b
I don't think ARX will block anything.
ARX keeps the gunk floating in the oil, untill trapped by the oil filter.

You could put on a new oilfilter, to see if the rattle goes away.

FYI, the rattle started in the clean cycle. I was not clear in my first post. I changed oil and filter a week ago. We shall see if rattle stops or changes. I am having the dealer look at it in a day or so. Getting ready for a trip.

Last edited:
I agree with jonny-b, I'd swap out the filter. In my case I changed filters halfway through the rinse, and ended up wasting a good filter. I used cheap filters so it didn't matter. Others have reported very heavy filters with a lot of junk caught in them. Play it safe and change the filter. JMO

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Why only 2,000 miles, wasting money there.

Had mechanic change front timing chain tensioner and did oil/filter at same time to ensure fresh oil to the tensioner. Changing tensioner was really a waste of money as it did not help! :)

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Why only 2,000 miles, wasting money there.

He could go the distance, but if the rattle is really bothering him changing a $3 filter might help in stopping the rattle. JMO

In my case changing the filter was a complete waste I did it based on what I read here. As a first time A-Rx user with a 165,000 mile vehicle I thought I'd have a lot of junk in the engine. Turns out I didn't, but A-Rx did stop a leak.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

He could go the distance, but if the rattle is really bothering him changing a $3 filter might help in stopping the rattle. JMO
+1. Son has an 05 4.6l Explorer and a Motorcraft filter seems to work best. Besides being a well made filter, it's inexpensive. Definitely worth a shot.

Don't know about the RX effect, but please keep us updated.

From what I have read many people experience noises or oil pressure lights flickering etc during the process.

Yeah, may be the removal of some crud has allowed you to hear the top end problem, which may likely go away after you finish the application, rinse protocol. I think its a bit too early to suggest that ARX is the culprit. Too much contrary evidence here at BITOG. Is this a motor back speced by Ford to lower viscocity oil?

Let's see...bad timing chain tensioner, then replaced, then bad timing chain tensioner again. What kind of shape is your timing chain in? Is it stretched? This may be the rattle you are hearing.

I have a 02' Ford Taurus and am on my 2nd Clean phase. My car has a little bit under 138,000 miles and has the SOHC Vulcan engine.
During the previous Rinse phase I heard noises that I have never heard before. Rattles while going slightly up hill during warm up, and also while I have the cruise control going down the highway at 70mph. I had never heard them before, but they went away.
I have been changing my filters every 1,250-1,500 miles through this process. Both in the Clean and the Rinse phases. I when I drain my filters, regardless of the phase, I have found junk in them.
I would not worry about an intermittent rattle. If it is loud you might want to try going by Walmart and paying for a $3.85 Motorcraft filter, then topping off with Supertech 15w40 or 20w50. 1 pint or so will thicken up your oil a bit and maybe cover up the sound, and that little amount wont hurt hurt your engine.

My 4.6 SOHC V8 developed a valvetrain rattle during my Auto RX rinse phase. It went completely away after a while, and now that I'm running synthetic oil my engine is extremely quiet.

Earlier in the rinse phase it had another rattle that actually turned out to be a bad idler pulley bearing. The idler pulley was visibly flopping around at idle, and the flopping stopped when the RPM increased and the sound went away. It was about 500 miles after it was replaced that the valvetrain rattle, which sounded almost exactly the same, started happening. That sound did not go away with increasing RPM.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Let's see...bad timing chain tensioner, then replaced, then bad timing chain tensioner again. What kind of shape is your timing chain in? Is it stretched? This may be the rattle you are hearing.

Thanks
could be a bad timing chain and guide. Question on this engine which chain and which guide? There are at least three chains. The rear chain and guide can only be changed with the negine removed or so i am told. I hear no one wants to do this job.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
My 4.6 SOHC V8 developed a valvetrain rattle during my Auto RX rinse phase. It went completely away after a while, and now that I'm running synthetic oil my engine is extremely quiet.

Earlier in the rinse phase it had another rattle that actually turned out to be a bad idler pulley bearing. The idler pulley was visibly flopping around at idle, and the flopping stopped when the RPM increased and the sound went away. It was about 500 miles after it was replaced that the valvetrain rattle, which sounded almost exactly the same, started happening. That sound did not go away with increasing RPM.

good point. I have thought of this. Idler pullies and tensioners are issues on most later BMWs as well

Like chevofreak suggests, ride it out for the full mileage. The onset of noises is not uncommon as some passages/components clean up quicker than others. Some may be restricting oil getting places ..while down stream ..some films/restrictions are balancing it out and maintaining pressure.

Not an uncommon side effect.
21.gif

Had a dealer take a look at it. They told me all the timing chains, guides and tensioners need to be replaced. There are about 4 chains involved. Would have to pull the engine. 22.5 hous of labor. Total bill would be about $2,700.

I told them no. I will drive till it dies or trade it in on another car/truck. Perhaps the clunkers program might come in play.

Really still not sure, but I think that auto-rx is still doing it's job and cleaning out the junk. I will watch it for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back