Ford Expedition 2006 5/20 wt . 5.4 oil recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
What brand of oil are you guys using for a 2006 Ford Expedition 5.4 Engine that recommends 5/20 wt. I am in California so it it is not that cold , are any of you going to 5/30 ? or I heard since the Engine is set up with tighter clearances you should stick with 5/20 thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info , does Wal Mart sell MotorCraft? who else sells it besides Ford and Pep Boys?

Walmart has MoCraft 5qt jugs for $9.98.

MoCraft filters for about $3.

I would run MoCraft 5-20 w/ FL820S filter for your rig.

MC 5-20 is an excellent oil. I run it in my SVT with 171,000 miles and I run it hard. Engine is soo smooth and quiet, and my car seems to run cooler on it as well...the temp guage seems to confirm this.

Temperature guages on Fords are simply like a "on or off" switch. Once the engine warms up, guage will stay in the middle unless the engine gets overheated. You will not see minute flucuations on those temperature guages.
I run 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer on my 5.4 F150. I just think the 5W-20's are strictly CAFE oriented.

Since its a 06 under warrenty you want to use 5w20.Like Islandvic says use Motorcraft 5w20 which is a good syn.blend oil.I use it down here here Miami heat and nightmare traffic in my 05 4.6 Vic.

e anderson -
I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that the only 'tighter clearances' in a motor calling for 5W-20, is in the gear tip dia. / pump body, of the oil pump, to ensure adequet oil pressure w/thinner oils.
The clearances in the oil pumps used in motors calling for 5W-20 are in the neighborhood of .0020 - .0049", whereas the oil pumps in motors calling for 5W-30 or greater are running around .0078".
Any manuals I have seen indicate no clearance or nominal tolerance changes to journal bearings, piston bores, etc. over the past 15 years or so.
Hence, you are probably OK to run 5W-30 in a motor calling for 5W-20, but may sacrifice a little oil pressure running 5W-20 where 5W-30 is called for. (IMHO)

[ February 22, 2006, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Dr Cpk ]

If you don't use MC5w20 make sure whatever you use meets ford specs. I don't have the spec handy but it should be listed in your owners manual. The only company I know for sure that meets it is Castrol.

5w20 is what ford recommends. 5w30 can be used because there is no requirement to use 5w20 except better gas mileage. I use 5w20 in my ford.

Use the factory recomended viscosity for the breakin miles (10,000?) and after the 2nd or 3d oil change get a UOA. From that UOA data, decide if that's is best for you. Many on this NG find that they are getting excellent UOAs using 5w20 oils like MC5w20. Don't subscribe to the idea that 5w20 oils are to satisfy cafe requirments only..

Thanks for all the replies , I will use Motorcraft 5/20. My previous Expedition I used Shell 5/30 and has 98,000 miles and uses only minimal amount of oil between oil changes , never low enough to add oil.

Another vote for Motorcraft 5w20. Used oil analysis of 5w20 in Ford modular v-8's look very good. If 5w20 was too thin for these motors, it would have showed up in the last 5 years since Ford began the 5w20 spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back