Ford EV will gain access to Tesla Superchargers and come with standard NACS ports starting 2025

I'm a "Tesla People" and my reaction is, "Cool! Glad to meet you!"

The culture around Teslas is unlike anything else. Unlike gas stations people actually talk to each other at Superchargers. Many carry folding chairs to sit outside and chat while charging. Many at a Supercharger are likely to be from out of town.
People in NY are usually in a hurry, it's a different world. Time will tell.

Are you familiar with Toyota's SynergyDrive?

Toyota uses a simple 3 input/output planetary gear drive Power Split Device. The ICE is on one, about 20 HP motor/generator is on another, then the traction motor/generator and wheels are on the 3rd. This is a pretty good introduction: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

Off the top of my head two simultaneous equations have to be solved to regulate speed:

There are 3 gear ratios, each input/output has a different ratio.

Sum of the torque to/from each source divided by its gear ratio must equal zero.
Sum of the RPM to/from each source times its gear ratio must equal zero.

I may have that backwards, that torque times ratio and RPM divided by ratio. Then again it depends on how one expresses the gear ratios.

Lore on the development of the SynergyDrive Power Split Device says the Japanese engineers were determined to make it work, yet it took many months of software work after the first hardware before they had a drivable vehicle. And a lot of work after that before it drove nicely.

Needless to say a Prius ICE throttle is drive by wire.
We could just call it a planetary gearbox cvt.

Does a great job at smoothing and summing the input from the ice, battery and motor generator.

Not quite as efficient from a MPKWH as the volt getting about 3.1 (very latest prius prime) vs 3.25 or better, and way off a model 3 or Y's 4 or slightly more.

Does a great job at smoothing and summing the input from the ice, battery and motor generator.

Not quite as efficient from a MPKWH as the volt getting about 3.1 (very latest prius prime) vs 3.25 or better, and way off a model 3 or Y's 4 or slightly more.

Yeah, I can get the 3.0 miles home in 0.6kwh of battery if I take surface streets, drive reasonably, and don’t use ac/heater. So it’s funny they haven’t really made any progress there!

And Ford drivers should pay more to charge than me. Or I will write Elon a nasty letter. That'll fix him...
Why? They may pay Tesla more but why you are entitled to the cheaper rate? It is almost like earlier Tesla drivers expect newer Tesla drivers to pay more to use Supercharger, doesn't make sense.

I don't see how Prius' eCVT is a mathematical nightmare. It is actually quite "simple" based on what speed / torque you need at the output and what your engine is good at, with minimal input / output to the battery during crusing, and let the only 2 other variables (motors 1 and 2) solve itself. I can see this is a good reliability choice as there are fewer things to go wrong and the engine can focus on finding the best rpm for the torque needed.

The GM's choice is IMO a more efficient mechanical choice than Prius. The conversion from motor 1 to motor 2 like Prius does would require some conversion loss, and likely more than the mechanical lock / unlock 2 planetary gear set choice GM uses, but with fewer need for conversion and more direct path, you are likely to get more gear ratio spreads and therefore better fuel economy.

I like both designs, as well as the Honda one where they are serial hybrid up to a high speed and then connect the engine to the final "gear ratio" mechanically.

I don't see how Prius' eCVT is a mathematical nightmare. It is actually quite "simple" based on what speed / torque you need at the output and what your engine is good at, with minimal input / output to the battery during crusing, and let the only 2 other variables (motors 1 and 2) solve itself. I can see this is a good reliability choice as there are fewer things to go wrong and the engine can focus on finding the best rpm for the torque needed.

The GM's choice is IMO a more efficient mechanical choice than Prius. The conversion from motor 1 to motor 2 like Prius does would require some conversion loss, and likely more than the mechanical lock / unlock 2 planetary gear set choice GM uses, but with fewer need for conversion and more direct path, you are likely to get more gear ratio spreads and therefore better fuel economy.

I like both designs, as well as the Honda one where they are serial hybrid up to a high speed and then connect the engine to the final "gear ratio" mechanically.

Mathematical nightmare yeah not sure about that - difficult to tune- for sure.

On the Volt Im guessing that hes talking about the dual, motor, dual planetary in the gen 2.

Yeah, I can get the 3.0 miles home in 0.6kwh of battery if I take surface streets, drive reasonably, and don’t use ac/heater. So it’s funny they haven’t really made any progress there!
The gen 2 running on the small motor with little to no wind resistance can run really cheap in "extended high range mode"

TRW actually originated ice/ battery power splitting in the 70's.

I could see Tesla customers PO'ed waiting for Ford owners to juice up their Ford EVs. Especially NY'ers, it's a tough crowd here.
I can see a rerun of bum fights coming soon as fights at the ev charging station. That will be some good entertainment for us deplorables.

I can see a rerun of bum fights coming soon as fights at the ev charging station. That will be some good entertainment for us deplorables.
Dana White could make a fortune. Entertainment at its finest!!

Why? They may pay Tesla more but why you are entitled to the cheaper rate? It is almost like earlier Tesla drivers expect newer Tesla drivers to pay more to use Supercharger, doesn't make sense.
I was joking. But as an early adopter, I did help pay for the network...

Not in our lifetime... still waiting to see the Tesla Turd (semi) replace diesel and not holding my breath.
It's a local type truck. It'll never fully replace it with a battery power source. I'd think that would take hydrogen fuel cell, but with no hydrogen stations in the vast part of the US, I don't see that happening for many years.

I wonder where this agreement goes long-term? The National Electric Vehicle charging funding has already locked onto CCS1. Tesla has already accepted federal money to install CCS Magic Docks on many of their supercharger sites.

I’m guessing this will actually draw-out the confusion time of having multiple connectors out there.
Should be a standard charger that fits all EV's just like gas stations have certain size nozzles to fit OEM gas tanks .

Should be a standard charger that fits all EV's just like gas stations have certain size nozzles to fit OEM gas tanks .
I don't disagree, the only problem though just like the phone charger debate is that technology constantly changes and while the battle is faster and faster charging, demanding a specific plug could actually limit fast charging. The only reason the Tesla plug hasn't changed the way it plugs into the car is because they gave themselves headroom on the size of the connection points. I'm sure it'll run itself out of its usefulness unless they go to 800V eventually. That's why there are discrepancies with other plugs such as J1772, Chademo, and CCS.

I was joking. But as an early adopter, I did help pay for the network...
I remember there was a saying, something like behind every joke there's a truth.... Some people would feel sad they lost their entitled preferential treatment when new people join their clubs.

I don't disagree, the only problem though just like the phone charger debate is that technology constantly changes and while the battle is faster and faster charging, demanding a specific plug could actually limit fast charging. The only reason the Tesla plug hasn't changed the way it plugs into the car is because they gave themselves headroom on the size of the connection points. I'm sure it'll run itself out of its usefulness unless they go to 800V eventually. That's why there are discrepancies with other plugs such as J1772, Chademo, and CCS.
Most standards are set to a lowest common denominator to avoid too much power in one player, loyalty payment being lopsided or that one player didn't get what it wants or deserves if the royalty is too low, or losing competitive advantage, etc. Typically industrial standard like LTE / 5G / Wifi etc takes a long time since the building blocks' invention to enter public industrial standard.

Tesla being the fast mover and non standard is expected, you don't see fast mover being standard because compromising for a standard will slow them down. I expect this Tesla vs standard to stay until the field is saturated and innovation hits limit and start slowing down.

There will be some day. We are just in the infancy of electric vehicles.
Give it 10 years if there’s ever enough of them on the road and if no new technology comes out to replace lithium battery vehicles.
I think the current models will be museum pieces someday

There will be some day. We are just in the infancy of electric vehicles.
Give it 10 years if there’s ever enough of them on the road and if no new technology comes out to replace lithium battery vehicles.
I think the current models will be museum pieces someday
They should be if innovation continues. As it stands now everything will be CCS or Tesla for the foreseeable future. Sounds like Ford has went as far as installing both. The Aptera if it ever comes out has the Tesla port. If Tesla fully opened up the Supercharger network and certain cars started using that port it would open up my options that would work for me.

They should be if innovation continues. As it stands now everything will be CCS or Tesla for the foreseeable future. Sounds like Ford has went as far as installing both. The Aptera if it ever comes out has the Tesla port. If Tesla fully opened up the Supercharger network and certain cars started using that port it would open up my options that would work for me.
I think eventually Tesla will spin off the supercharging network as a separate company, sort of like BofA spin off Visa.

Back