Ford EV will gain access to Tesla Superchargers and come with standard NACS ports starting 2025

I wonder where this agreement goes long-term? The National Electric Vehicle charging funding has already locked onto CCS1. Tesla has already accepted federal money to install CCS Magic Docks on many of their supercharger sites.

I’m guessing this will actually draw-out the confusion time of having multiple connectors out there.

I wonder where this agreement goes long-term? The National Electric Vehicle charging funding has already locked onto CCS1. Tesla has already accepted federal money to install CCS Magic Docks on many of their supercharger sites.

I’m guessing this will actually draw-out the confusion time of having multiple connectors out there.

Telsa will provide the min necessary to capture the grants and stick with NACS everywhere else in North America.

Telsa will provide the min necessary to capture the grants and stick with NACS everywhere else in North America.

I’m thinking more with Ford. This should certainly help with marketing/demand for Ford products short/medium-term, but CCS1 is here to stay.

Ford says they will “offer” an NACS port in future EVs. Wonder if that’s optional, totally replace CCS1, or have 2 ports, CCS1 & NACS.

The wording doesn’t imply they’re ditching CCS1.

IMG_9571.jpeg

Last edited:
At 50 cents per KWh at some locations, Ford owners are going to be paying as much as gasoline per mile. On the Ford Lightning, that is a solid 50 cents per mile.

AND, we must remember that what you purchase is not what the display says. You purchase say, 60KWh for $30. Your display may say you've used 50KWh from the battery to go the distance.

The 2018 F150 2.7L gets 20+MPG. $3.50/gal. Or less than 20 cents per mile.

At 50 cents per KWh at some locations, Ford owners are going to be paying as much as gasoline per mile. On the Ford Lightning, that is a solid 50 cents per mile.

AND, we must remember that what you purchase is not what the display says. You purchase say, 60KWh for $30. Your display may say you've used 50KWh from the battery to go the distance.

Public charging sucks once it's all added up. Even with Tesla supercharging with a Tesla it's only slightly cheaper than driving my GTI. Home charging is the big benefit. If you don't have the option at all to charge at home, even on 120v like I do, it's a losing proposition. I wouldn't buy an EV without it. There is a guy in town here that has a Model 3 Performance that only public charges, but we have free J1772s in town. I still don't care for that because I'd be stuck there for hours to charge. I did do that a bit for the first couple of weeks with the car because I screwed up and ordered the mobile charger late instead of putting it with my order and picking it up at the dealer when I picked the car up.

I will say that supercharging is awesome for trips and makes the car a great allrounder that really pays for itself with local use mostly. Supercharging just fills in the gaps when I need to go further.

Public charging sucks once it's all added up. Even with Tesla supercharging with a Tesla it's only slightly cheaper than driving my GTI. Home charging is the big benefit. If you don't have the option at all to charge at home, even on 120v like I do, it's a losing proposition. I wouldn't buy an EV without it. There is a guy in town here that has a Model 3 Performance that only public charges, but we have free J1772s in town. I still don't care for that because I'd be stuck there for hours to charge. I did do that a bit for the first couple of weeks with the car because I screwed up and ordered the mobile charger late instead of putting it with my order and picking it up at the dealer when I picked the car up.

I will say that supercharging is awesome for trips and makes the car a great allrounder that really pays for itself with local use mostly. Supercharging just fills in the gaps when I need to go further.

Public fueling isnt glorious either, it's typically dirty and always inconvenient.

95% of EV discussion are around trips, but the game changer is home charging.

Once you have the ability to charge with at least 50 amps (nema 14-50 dryer plug) from home in a car with good range it its hard to wrap your head around how much you had to plan for fuel.

Especially in a multi vehicle household where they get used by others but not necessarily fueled.

Instead of watching a needle start a cycle at the top then watching it sink as the week progresses until you are forced to deal with it, to waking up to a full "tank"is just a game changer.

Even charging at home, in locations like Florida. The first 750KWh are the cheapest, the rates increase as consumption increases. All in, with taxes and fees, it's now 22c per KWh at my home.

EV's are over and above the "cheap" rates, just about 100% of the time. Meaning that even charging at home, a Ford Lightning EV is more expensive per mile than the 2.7L gas powered trucks.

And as mentioned above, hybrids are probably the best overall method.

I could see Tesla customers PO'ed waiting for Ford owners to juice up their Ford EVs. Especially NY'ers, it's a tough crowd here.
Well, sometimes people park their vehicles long ways in Supercharger stalls already, so there's that.

My guess is, the Supercharger network will continue to grow; maybe this deal will accelerate this. And Ford drivers should pay more to charge than me. Or I will write Elon a nasty letter. That'll fix him...

Is the cost for electricity at these chargers greater than the local utility's rate? I'd imagine that there's a surcharge.

Speaking of rates, a nearby strip mall just installed some chargers and they're being supplemented somehow with solar panels. I know nothing more about it as the installation wasn't fully completed when I went by several days ago.

Even charging at home, in locations like Florida. The first 750KWh are the cheapest, the rates increase as consumption increases. All in, with taxes and fees, it's now 22c per KWh at my home.

EV's are over and above the "cheap" rates, just about 100% of the time. Meaning that even charging at home, a Ford Lightning EV is more expensive per mile than the 2.7L gas powered trucks.

And as mentioned above, hybrids are probably the best overall method.

For sure on hybrids

It's too bad the Volts architecture never got extended.
The Rav 4 prime is a really cool compromise.

YMMV on this depending on vehicle choices. It could be more expensive or cheaper.
Your electric company could have a plan, be brutal or cheap.

The BEV offers a different set of choices.

Stopping for 20 minutes on a 620 mile trip - or - skip going to the gas station 52 times a year?

Well, sometimes people park their vehicles long ways in Supercharger stalls already, so there's that.

My guess is, the Supercharger network will continue to grow; maybe this deal will accelerate this. And Ford drivers should pay more to charge than me. Or I will write Elon a nasty letter. That'll fix him...
Maybe you should call Elon instead. Tell him Frank from NY said he visualizes fights and worse at Long Island and the Five Boroughs Supercharger networks when angry Tesla owners have to wait for Fords to recharge. ;)

Maybe you should call Elon instead. Tell him Frank from NY said he visualizes fights and worse at Long Island and the Five Boroughs Supercharger networks when angry Tesla owners have to wait for Fords to recharge. ;)
Thats pretty funny!

Back