Ford Edge Owners

Yes I'm posting another message,
Wondering what "synthetic oil' fellow Ford Edge owners use their vehicles I have a 13 with a 3.5 non-ecoboost. I'm interested in running a synthetic oil, I don't do a whole lot of driving, probably 4,000 a year but I definitely want my engine to run quiet, and smooth.
Thank you..

There is no industry standard test for 'quiet and smooth'. So you are only going to get opinions. Which are worth exactly what you pay for them.

There is a reason the OEM provides the requirement for the viscosity grade and approvals in you owner's manual.
It is because that is what your car requires.

Please read it.

Follow the specification and also post it to this thread so you can share the the information that you already have.

I have an '18 Edge with the 3.5 non-turbo V6. It has been run on Motorcraft, RGT and now Chevron Havoline. 5W-20 all, run the same on everything.
1646660320710.jpg

There is no industry standard test for 'quiet and smooth'. So you are only going to get opinions. Which are worth exactly what you pay for them.

There is a reason the OEM provides the requirement for the viscosity grade and approvals in you owner's manual.
It is because that is what your car requires.

Please read it.

Follow the specification and also post it to this thread so you can share the the information that you already have.
My vehicle requires 5w20 synthetic blend I have decided to run synthetic. Is that OK?

I have a 2019 2.0 eco boost. I run factory 5w30 syn blend. I do the 20% OLM sever intervals. Puts it about 4,000 miles. Which equals almost once a year. Wife’s vehicle. She’s retired. Grocery vehicle.

Yes, it's fine to run a full-syn oil in your Edge like any other modern vehicle. Any off-the-shelf major name (or minor...GO SUPERTECH!) synthetic 5W20 will work for you. Don't get hung up on the blend vs. full syn thing or overthink this. Mobil 1. Valvoline. Penzoil. Quaker State. Castrol. Supertech. Whatever. It's a Ford.

That 3.5 isn’t picky on oil. I used MC synthetic blend 5w30 on my ‘13 Edge Sport with a 3.7. ANY full synthetic 5w20 or 5w30 will be just fine.

Just a few threads about your engine/oil selection.

And this guy does a lot of videos on his Ford Edge, and a ton of oil testing for his Edge.

We obtained ours about a year and 15k miles ago (now at 35k). I have run nothing but full syn Euro 5w40's in it that meet both SN Plus or SP and the usual list of Euro approvals (BMW, MB etc.) as well. We use ours for boat pulling among other things and the 3.5 has a chain which the BMW LL-01 spec has special provisions for. It doesn't cost any more so why not?

I have enough QS Euro 5w40 stashed to continue this regime up to 120k it will likely be updated at that time (wife loves it says when it's time she wants another one).

Back