Ford Ecosport oil choosing

I purchased a new Ford Ecosport Wednesday (2.0 AWD flavor). As is the BITOG way I've been looking at what oil to run. I'm not really concerned with brand currently, more Fords kind of strange specs they have. I was under the impression i needed to run an oil with the specification in the manual (WSS-M2C960-A1) but then i read this page a little closer. To me it really is just saying i need to run any 5w20 API SP oil. Any thoughts from BITOG?
Oil spec.jpg

I bought an ecosport last January.
I was running Valvoline advanced 5W20 that seemed to work fairly well. The Edge I have in there now is pretty raucous.
Maybe stick wiith Motorcraft 5W20 dino for now. I hope you get better ECO than me I am only getting about 23 1/2 MPG!
I only paid $16,700 for mine on sale. I have the tan and charcoal interior that I liek. I don't like the lack of a spare tire though.
I Europe and Asia the tyre is mounted on the back gate. I hear you can buy a kit.

Ford's WSS-M2C96x-oil specifications are essentially equivalent to API SP.

If you're looking for oils that meets Ford's newest specs, I have noticed that Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline AFS, and Mobil 1 EP have them. Valvoline AFS labels are hit or miss.

Magnatec is a BITOG favorite for Ecoboost engines, but it looks like that line is going to be replaced by a new "Castrol GTX Full Synthetic" in the near future.

In my opinon, it's not worth it to buy Motorcraft Synthetic Blend for $20 when there are a number of Full Synthetics in the same price bracket.

Run any API SP\ILSAC GF-6A oil and you'll be fine, the wording in the document means don't use any non-ILSAC API SP oil, it's the good ol' reliable Mazda 2.0L that's been updated to include GDI, and from what I've seen it's one of the easier on oil GDI engines, you could probably do 10,000 miles like the OLM would want if you drive it a decent bit on the highway, like all GDI engines if the primary use is just short trips though it's probably better to go shorter interval.

Reactions: pbm
Thanks folks. I haven't been by my local Walmart yet to see what oils have this approval. Due to short tripping and cold winter I may just end up with Supertech synthetic and a Supertech filter every 3500 miles or so. Possibly the Motorcraft filter instead if the price is similar. This engine takes an FL910S.

Thanks folks. I haven't been by my local Walmart yet to see what oils have this approval. Due to short tripping and cold winter I may just end up with Supertech synthetic and a Supertech filter every 3500 miles or so. Possibly the Motorcraft filter instead if the price is similar. This engine takes an FL910S.
Excellent choice! I've put well over 100K on my vehicles in the last 4 years with the supertech oil and filter. Works great!

I usually won't change oil under 6000 miles or once a year. But if you're short tripping 3500 is a good safety net.

dexos1-approved oils are always my pick for xGDI engines. But you don’t hear too much about LSPI on Fords either.

dexos1-approved oils are always my pick for xGDI engines. But you don’t hear too much about LSPI on Fords either.
LSPI is only a problem on small displacement turbo engines, this car is an updated N/A Mazda L/Duratec 2.0L with GDI and VVT on both intake and exhaust. But it is a GDI engine, so the next iteration of Dexos that's up and coming lowers the ash limit to 0.9% which should aid in keeping the valves cleaner.

Run any API SP\ILSAC GF-6A oil and you'll be fine, the wording in the document means don't use any non-ILSAC API SP oil, it's the good ol' reliable Mazda 2.0L that's been updated to include GDI, and from what I've seen it's one of the easier on oil GDI engines, you could probably do 10,000 miles like the OLM would want if you drive it a decent bit on the highway, like all GDI engines if the primary use is just short trips though it's probably better to go shorter interval.
I own one it its fuel diluting like no tomorrow. If I regular commuted a distance in it maybe less, but it is horrendous.
Never experienced anything like it.

it being a direct injected NA engine it wont be too hard on oil but id go for any dexos rated oil like supertech syn. I'd go for a 5w-30 grade to help with a bit more hths to be safe.

Thats a good engine you really shouldn't have issues with it under warranty but you need to service your diff and ptu every 30k but you can start another thread.

It's interesting that the Ford spec page listed by the OP states that using non-spec'd oil could result in...."reduced brake performance".

I have the 2.0 GDI Duratec in my 2014 Focus and it's a very good engine, IMO. I've used a variety of 5w20 synthetic brands without issue. I've also run Motorcraft and Castrol syn. blends with no problems. (the Castrol was SN 5w20 blend that AZ 'clearanced' a few years ago for $1 a quart.)
I do keep OCI's to about 6K max. due to the darkening (soot) that GDI causes.

Yes, SupetTech is the answer to just about every oil related question here. #SuperTechandforgetaboutit

Just to circle back around on this, I found a sale on amazon for 3 (5 qt) jugs of Castrol Magnatec 5w20 for $50. Seems to be a well respected oil so I have no doubt it can do these short intervals.

Just to circle back around on this, I found a sale on amazon for 3 (5 qt) jugs of Castrol Magnatec 5w20 for $50. Seems to be a well respected oil so I have no doubt it can do these short intervals.
Just curious How is the av fuel mileage? And did you buy a spare tire? I haven't looked into the rear door mount kit. It might improve the look of the vehicle making it look "longer" :)

p.s. I played some hi res vinyl rips of music through the stereo using Bluetooth and it sounded better than any stereo I ever had on a
base vehicle. I did set the speaker balance to DRIVER preferred and knock the treble and midrange down a couple notches.

Just curious How is the av fuel mileage? And did you buy a spare tire? I haven't looked into the rear door mount kit. It might improve the look of the vehicle making it look "longer" :)

p.s. I played some hi res vinyl rips of music through the stereo using Bluetooth and it sounded better than any stereo I ever had on a
base vehicle. I did set the speaker balance to DRIVER preferred and knock the treble and midrange down a couple notches.
It's been sitting in my garage getting cleaned and undercoated while I wait for Carvana to come get my other car. 97 miles on it currently. If I can get 23 mpg short tripping this winter ill be ok with that. I knew going in the fuel economy was poor.

As far as the spare tire I haven't seen one since they sold out of 2018's. From my recollection it was the 2018 FWD variants that had them. I don't think they were offered in 19 or 20.

Question for you. The manual states 5.1 quarts for an oil change. I'm assuming i can dump in an entire 5 quarts jug and be at a decent oil level? I"m not really willing to buy an extra quart for $8 just to pour 10% of it in.

It's been sitting in my garage getting cleaned and undercoated while I wait for Carvana to come get my other car. 97 miles on it currently. If I can get 23 mpg short tripping this winter ill be ok with that. I knew going in the fuel economy was poor.

As far as the spare tire I haven't seen one since they sold out of 2018's. From my recollection it was the 2018 FWD variants that had them. I don't think they were offered in 19 or 20.

Question for you. The manual states 5.1 quarts for an oil change. I'm assuming i can dump in an entire 5 quarts jug and be at a decent oil level? I"m not really willing to buy an extra quart for $8 just to pour 10% of it in.
I don't have my manual. Are you sure about that 5.1qt? Mine came from factory with the oil level about 1/8" below the full hot dot.
Most online sources including ford state 4.5qt for the 2.0. Don't get confused, the owners manual is formatted incorrectly ( at least my 2020 model is) and the 1.0 litre specs run int the 2.0 Liter specs.

I would leave the factory fill in for at least 2K miles to aid wear in.

I would also use "conventional" for the next - or first oil change. I went to synthetic right away and I am having issues - as usual.
yest that 23mpg is horrific for a subcompact CUV. But it is full time AWD and over 3500 lbs partially laden with a driver and fuel.
my wife is getting 33 average on her giant Outback 2.5L automatic (CVT)
have fun - Ken

Last edited:
Back