Ford Ecoboost 1.6L vs 2.0: I-4 Reliability

So what do yall think about the overall reliability of either of these engines? Is there is one that is better? The vehicle will be a 2013 up Ford Escape AWD.

Kinda bummed the 2.5L tractor engine is not avail on the AWD escapes......

A quick Google shows the 1.6 being a POS to the point Ford discontinued it. The engine was made in the UK?
The 2.0 has exhaust manifold cracking issues along with turbocharger control valve failures being reported.

Your not a "Ford guy" I hope. There are better SUV's to chose from.

I would just get one with the 2.5L engine, should be reliable. But then again, I don't live in Erie, PA.
I would be OK with the 2.0L turbocharged engine once I permanently disabled auto stop-start (use Forscan).

If you HAVE to have one of those two options get the 2.0. I wouldn't bother with either and would go a completely different route. Neither are without trouble.

Neither engine has sublime records. I regularly see examples of the 1.6 and 2.0 both with catastrophic failures usually piston related.

I'm not sure what other engine options you get in the Escape, it's not a vehicle they sell over here in the UK. If there's a big N/A V6 option then I would go for that. The 3.0 Duratec in my Mondeo which has had 12 previous owners in 17 years and 150k on the clock still runs like new!

The 1.6 was actually built in my hometown of Bridgend. They've recently closed down the entire engine plant here.

Edit: I lied... I just realised your Escape is our Ford Kuga. In the UK these usually came with diesel engines.

Last edited:
Have a 2013 Escape with the 2.0 in the family with 124k and it's been great. Very peppy and fun to drive. Think it's like 6.5 sec to 60. It's a real sleeper at stop lights. AWD works decent too. Not an off roader, but it's not meant to be. Would definitely recommend it. Only repair done to it has been an axle seal.

I not a die hard ford guy. Im actually helping a friend look at vehicels who is not mechanically inclined.

What other vehicles excluding GM / Chevy?

I'm a Ford guy and wouldn't buy an Escape.

My '16 Fusion 2.0T/AWD was decent with no major issues. My '19 Escape 1.5T needed an engine at 18K miles. I manage a service team in the Boston area and 75% of my team have had their engines replaced, 1.6 and 1.5 mixed bag. There were a couple of transmission issues as well.

IMO, I would steer clear.

This person lives in snow drift country. AWD is 100% required. They leave their driveway long b4 any plows come.

Have a 2013 Escape with the 2.0 in the family with 124k and it's been great. Very peppy and fun to drive. Think it's like 6.5 sec to 60. It's a real sleeper at stop lights. AWD works decent too. Not an off roader, but it's not meant to be. Would definitely recommend it. Only repair done to it has been an axle seal.

The 2013 Escape 2.0T was rated at 6.9 0-60. I'd go with the 2.0T too.

Ford 0-60 times

A quick Google shows the 1.6 being a POS to the point Ford discontinued it. The engine was made in the UK?
The 2.0 has exhaust manifold cracking issues along with turbocharger control valve failures being reported.

Your not a "Ford guy" I hope. There are better SUV's to chose from.

It's a PoS, but that's not why they discontinued it. They just downsized it and it's still having problems in it's 1.5L form.

There's regulations and expenses that come into play in a lot of markets that a 1.5L engine is able to avoid.

I'm not a fan of the ford PDU AWD systems. Cheap afterthought. I'd get a 2.0 or 2.5L FWD if I was buying an escape

The Edge has the same 2.0T that has already been discussed in this thread. The Edge ST has a 2.7TT V6 engine.

I personally dislike the transmissions in the Edge. It is an 8 speed, which uses the same exact ratios as the 6 speed it replaced, but with additional gears added (second and eighth). This causes its progress through the gears to feel awkward (as if the 6F35/6F50 wasn't already awkward enough). The 6F trans that the 8 speed is based off of have been reliable enough, but are plagued with abnormal transmission behavior. In my short time in the vehicle, I feel the addition of the two ratios has only exasperated this issue.

I just watched that video last week, it came into my feed.

I have a 2.5L FWD Escape of this vintage and its tough to work on.

To do the battery, the cowl and wipers needed to come off, then reprogram the battery module and aim the wipers using a scan tool.

Entire taillight assembly needs to be taken out to replace rear bulb.

Cabin filter is tough to do on this car.

Overall its a cheap car, has a tractor motor and gets 25.2mpg on my long commute.

Back