Ford Ecoboost 1.6L vs 2.0: I-4 Reliability

I personally dislike the transmissions in the Edge. It is an 8 speed, which uses the same exact ratios as the 6 speed it replaced, but with additional gears added (second and eighth). This causes its progress through the gears to feel awkward (as if the 6F35/6F50 wasn't already awkward enough). The 6F trans that the 8 speed is based off of have been reliable enough, but are plagued with abnormal transmission behavior. In my short time in the vehicle, I feel the addition of the two ratios has only exasperated this issue.

Isn't it considered a win these days if you can get something that doesn't have a CVT or dual clutch?

I just watched that video last week, it came into my feed.

I have a 2.5L FWD Escape of this vintage and its tough to work on.

To do the battery, the cowl and wipers needed to come off, then reprogram the battery module and aim the wipers using a scan tool.

Entire taillight assembly needs to be taken out to replace rear bulb.

Cabin filter is tough to do on this car.

Overall its a cheap car, has a tractor motor and gets 25.2mpg on my long commute.

Seems to me that all or most SUV's are made like vans in that they are hard to work on.

Isn't it considered a win these days if you can get something that doesn't have a CVT or dual clutch?
Oof. Good point. If the shifting behavior of the 6F35 & 8F35 are strange, then a CVT (or at least the ones with simulated gears) would feel downright perplexing, at least to me.
I would say you will get used to it, but I have been driving my wife's Escape (6F35) since new, and I'm still not. Perhaps I'm just being a stick in the mud to my notions of how an automatic transmission should react?

99% of these guys don’t know a thing about either engine and are simply parroting what they’ve read or heard before. Take advice with a grain of salt.
That is a pretty bold statement for your second post here. I personally spent years here just reading before even making my first post, but when I did, it was not to discount other peoples opinions. My experiences are that there are many on this board that know quite a bit about both engines, as well as have an adept general mechanical knowledge. Not all, but quite a few. As always, I would encourage the OP to form his own opinions, but I feel that goes without saying.

What is a SUV going to do that a small fleet of P71's can't?;)
I personally prefer Mazda's SUV line up, but I'm sure you will get many other suggestions as well.

When looking for a new car, it is best if you can sit in, and interact with as many as possible in quick succession. My opinions on vehicles are often swayed after doing this at the annual car show in my city. If that isn't an option, try visiting multiple dealerships and test driving as many as possible.

Its for a friend's daughter that needs to be able to navigate on back roads (where they live) that are not plowed often. I dont belive 2WD will cut it....

Look at the TSBs and SSMs on the 1.5, 1.6, and 2.0 Ecoboost engines for evidence that they're not that great. The 2.0 has fewer issues but they are pure DI so the valves are going to get cruddy. The 1.6 and 1.5 have defective blocks that break and let coolant into the cylinder. I believe that the 1.5 has more significant fixes and changes than just the smaller displacement but it isn't a great engine.

Back