Ford CD4E ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that there's some controversy as to the use of Mercon V in a CD4E. Has anyone had experience with this? I have a new-to-me car with a CD4E that has been flushed recently with Mercon V. I'm wondering whether I should change it out.

Thanks!

My moms mazda 626 has that trans FWIW her stick says DEX III/Mercon. Its a lemon of a car that I wish would just burn!

To many problems. The worst was a timing belt tensioner that broke at like 38,000. There was a recall even, mazda's response doesn't apply to that VIN, not our problem. Any how it didn't kill any valves and I put an updated tensioner in.

Since we are on the topic of CD4E. Her speedometer works or does't sometimes and at times the trans seems to shift into netral. NO codes are stored! I think it may be related to the speed sensor but have a hard time beliving the sensor is bad. I hate to replace a $150 dollar part that may not be bad. And the wiring looks just fine. There are no scrapes cuts or nicks on the harness going to that sensor. No evedince of crosion in the connector either.

If it's a dual use Mercon V (and most are these days) it will be fine.

The CD4E is in the same boat as the 4R100, both are Mercon only applications and the manufacturers no longer license Mercon products.

But most modern Mercon Vs are approved for use in Mercon apps unlike the early Mercon V.

The car's a 2002 Mercury Cougar. I have a few quarts of Mercon left. I'll put that in when I can.

Ford had some issues with the 'original' Motorcraft Mercon-V. The latest Mercon-V doesn't have this problem.

Since most aftermarket Mercon-V's were blended for compatibility with older and multiple spec's, nothing to worry about if non-motorcrapht was used.

The only controversy is how such a lemon of a transmission made it to production. Ungraded rebuilds are more reliable.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Ford had some issues with the 'original' Motorcraft Mercon-V. The latest Mercon-V doesn't have this problem.

Since most aftermarket Mercon-V's were blended for compatibility with older and multiple spec's, nothing to worry about if non-motorcrapht was used.

The only controversy is how such a lemon of a transmission made it to production. Ungraded rebuilds are more reliable.

What is the difference between the early Mercon V, and the later mult-use Mercon V?

You'll have to ask Ford and ConocoPhillips. From what I understand, there was a seal compatibility issue. This issue disappeared with the 'new' rev and then MerconV became acceptable everywhere.

So, to summarize, as long as the Mercon V is recent (last three or four years?), there's no longer an issue with CD4Es. Is that right?

The CD4E had had some improvements since it first went into the Escape/Mariner/Tribute. Biggest problem in the 626 app's was inadequate cooling. Ford made the auxillary transmission cooler standard a number of years ago, and the reliability in later models has actually been pretty good. Clean, cool fluid is the biggest factor in this transmission's durability.

I use any cheap, Ford licensed Mercon V and change it frequently. Since the tranny drain is so easy to access, at every oil change (7000mi or so), I dump 4 quarts (out of 12) that drains, and just do incremental refills. Non-stop NYC commuting is a pretty good test.

Drew2000,

Thanks! Good to know.

Where's the drain plug exactly? Is it easy to find?

Drew2000,

Thanks! Good to know.

Originally Posted By: ET16
Drew2000,

Thanks! Good to know.

Very easy. Looking at the engine oil drain plug, the tranny plug is about a foot or so toward the drivers side on the bottom of the aluminum transmission housing. It's a flush plug with a 3/8" square recess. Just use a 3/8" ratchet to remove. Clean the magnet on the plug and coat the threads with a small dab of RTV silicone whan reinstalling. 4 quarts will drain.

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=328&p=3996&hilit=transmission+drain+plug#p3996

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back