Ford can't figure out 2.7L Bronco oil capacity

GON

$50 Site Donor 2022
The Ford 2v 6.8l v10 has a like issue. One is supposed to fill the oil according to the factory fill specifications, which does not register properly on the oil dipstick. If one fills a 2v 6.8l v10 according to the oil dipstick, the engine will have excess oil and it is reported to have some negative consequences.

The Ford 2v 6.8l v10 has a like issue. One is supposed to fill the oil according to the factory fill specifications, which does not register properly on the oil dipstick. If one fills a 2v 6.8l v10 according to the oil dipstick, the engine will have excess oil and it is reported to have some negative consequences.
Interesting - my work group had a 2002 F-350 with the 6.8 l V10 from 2002 until 2013, and we carried an extra litre of oil because the level always dropped down to the add mark about halfway through the oil change interval.

Oil changes were done at the dealership at 5000 km intervals.

I wonder if it was typically overfilled, and consumed oil until it got down to the proper level.

GON

$50 Site Donor 2022
Interesting - my work group had a 2002 F-350 with the 6.8 l V10 from 2002 until 2013, and we carried an extra litre of oil because the level always dropped down to the add mark about halfway through the oil change interval.

Oil changes were done at the dealership at 5000 km intervals.

I wonder if it was typically overfilled, and consumed oil until it got down to the proper level.
N35,

What your work group experienced is reported to be a consequence of using the dip stick on the 2V V10 6.8l. I had a like experience, and thought the engine was burning oil until I quite using the dipstick to identify the oil was "full". After revising the way I measured oil in the V10, I no longer was using oil between oil changes.

If refill is 7qt but empty fill is 7.5qt, I would suspect the remaining is in oil cooler lines or other lines. I would just put 7 in and see where it falls on dipstick and go from there.
You didn't read the thread did you?

Brice

I did and at the bottom of the paragraphs he asked this question.
The whole problem is the dipstick. In the early stages a ford engineer confirmed to my dealer that the capacity was 7 quarts. So the forum members ignored the dipstick (especially since it shows overfilled from the factory). Everything was fine until last week when the revised the capacity. Plus I already had my dipstick swapped under warranty for one that shows in range with 7 quarts.

The whole problem is the dipstick. In the early stages a ford engineer confirmed to my dealer that the capacity was 7 quarts. So the forum members ignored the dipstick (especially since it shows overfilled from the factory). Everything was fine until last week when the revised the capacity. Plus I already had my dipstick swapped under warranty for one that shows in range with 7 quarts.
Civilization is in terminal decline when in the year 2022 the industry is recalling 'dipsticks', representing a true new low in competence!

wlk

W the 7qts as long as it is not foaming I would leave it be

They’ll probably revise what they’ve said to just say “6 quarts + 7.5 quarts = 13.5 quarts. 13.5 quarts / 2 = 6.75 quarts. Just put 6.75 quarts in and that should have you somewhere in the safe area we hope.” 🤔
I can’t believe how difficult and confusing they’re making something as simple as oil capacity.