Ford AX4S (AXOD) transmission

Hello my fellow BITOGers. I need a advice on my AX4S transmission, i try to diagnose why my car don`t drive in reverse. I also notice that there is something weird about 1st gear, like its missing. So the question is, do 1st gear need to work in order for the reverse gear to work? There is no dedicated shift solenoid for reverse gear either so i wonder what exactly engages reverse gear.
I hope someone here might know a bit about these transmissions as it was used on several Ford products. I tried to ask same question at car dedicated forum and facebook groups with no answers.
Car in question is `93 Ford Taurus SHO with auto tranny.

The codes related to the MLPS (also known as the range selector or neutral safety switch on other makes) can affect the transmission. Also the VSS or vehicle speed sensor is another.

Sorry to say but chances are you have a mechanical issue and there is an R&R and rebuild in your future.
Well according to previous owner, gearbox was rebuilt and worked fine. Short time after that the reverse stopped working. Its like this, i put the car in reverse, reverse engage with noticeable nudge and for a short second the car drives backwards before it stops.
I replaced certain part allready on the gearbox. I had oil pan down, replaced oil with filter and checked all pressure pipes, nothing wrong.
But i also notice that if i put gear selector to either 1 or 2, there is kinda no difference how the car drives. I suspect 1st gear missing. Thats why i wonder if 1st gear need to work in order for reverse to work.

The codes related to the MLPS (also known as the range selector or neutral safety switch on other makes) can affect the transmission. Also the VSS or vehicle speed sensor is another.
I replaced that range selector switch along with other sensors and switches, also i replaced a fuse so now even reverse lights work. But still...

I can't say with 100% that low/reverse share circuits and other components in this exact transmission, but it is very, very common in American cars for it to be that way.

The fact that the transmission was rebuilt makes it more likely there are internal issues with the transmission, in my mind. There are so many ways to screw up a transmission rebuild. I would get it checked by a pro right away as continuing to drive it like this may wear out lots of new parts really quick.

I can't say with 100% that low/reverse share circuits and other components in this exact transmission, but it is very, very common in American cars for it to be that way.

The fact that the transmission was rebuilt makes it more likely there are internal issues with the transmission, in my mind. There are so many ways to screw up a transmission rebuild. I would get it checked by a pro right away as continuing to drive it like this may wear out lots of new parts really quick.
As a mechanic myself i tend to diagnose that tranny myself. Trust me, in my country finding anyone who can do AXOD transmissions is really hard as AXOD trannys are only found on selected north american specific cars, imported cars only. So i have to be my own technician and use the official manual for diagnosis and repair.

Back