Ford and GM merging ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a really dumb idea. The overlap is almost compete. They both make very good half tons, pretty good large cars, and not so great small cars. We can debate which one makes better trucks and better cars but in my opinion they're fairly comparable. So what would be the advantage? This sounds like a great way to get to a smaller market share really fast.

If they wanted to combine with someone, how about someone with a very different product line, say Jaguar, SAAB, Volvo, Mazda.... Oh wait they already tried that. It didn't work.

Maybe they should do what they do well, and keep making with half tons. Then how about making some great large cars? I'd buy a convertible '63, '64, '65, '66 or '67 Chevrolet SS, or a hardtop '63 1/2, '64, '65 or '66 Ford Galaxie 500 XL (updated of course). Give us styling, performance and reliability and at a reasonable price. They both know how, or they used to anyway.

Originally Posted by CKN
For those of you who think Ford didn't get any Federal money-you really need to do some research......

You need to do research on what a is loan worth is. The loan is less than half what the loss of the GM bailout. Ford has not defaulted on the loan which makes your strawman even more ridiculous.

A company got help in Ulsan too … but those people don't say anything about it and still only buy from them …

The list of companies getting subsidized worldwide (subsidized airline keeping a subsidized plane going) is actually very long … but on this site there is but one or two …

Originally Posted by gman2304
No way.........a Ford GM merger would kill NASCAR!
smirk2.gif

I think Nascar is doing a good job of killing Nascar already. They don't need GM or Fords help there.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by otis24
So Ford is in need of another bail out?

Ford didn't get bailed out like GM and FCA
Ford mortgaged the farm and paid their own way out of hard times.

Originally Posted by kstanf150

They still were given huge loans at I believe low or no interest.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by kstanf150

They still were given huge loans at I believe low or no interest.

Ford did not get bailed out period !
The loan Ford received was not TARP money that GM and Chrysler received. Ford received a loan to research and develop electric vehicle technology .
TARP money was bail out money
Big difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back